CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 3-6" of snow from this is contaminated by the ongoing storm, but even then...

nam4km_asnow_us_21.png

link to the conversion table

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/?n=toolswaterequiv

Based on progged surface temps, it's thinking 30-40:1 ratios...maybe even more in some areas.  This isn't the best way to determine ratios as we all know, so use with extreme caution.

SREF mean bumps amounts from 1.5"(15z) to 3.5" on the latest run. The 1-2" range looks good for YYZ. Even if a more northern track works out, soundings are far from isothermal around here.  As a result, ratios are probably lower than 20:1 as the mean parcel temp(where lift/saturation is present) are colder than the DGZ range. The vort max is also weakening upon arrival.

Ask yourself if you would rest any easier had the NAM shown a more southern track. Tomorrow it will be different. Always is.

oh believe me...I don't trust the nam.  If fact there are some here who remind us weenies on a regular basis that the nam + 48 shouldn't even be run lol.

I remember last winter in late Feb there were some storms that slid south of us that the nam was way north and hammering us in this time frame.  Granted those were different types of systems, but the point remains...the nam is the nam.

I still think it's safe to ride the euro

This is the first clipper the upgraded models have dealt with so i wouldn't get too comfortable with any solution just yet and i would forget about the OLD known model biases.

Agreed. I would not get comfortable with the models they tend to fluctuate from run to run.

Agreed. I would not get comfortable with the models they tend to fluctuate from run to run.

Plus it has another day or so before it is even sampled. Will be nice to see how the models handle these kinds of systems.. So far all we have had was Christmas and this current one from the south/sw.

I think I'd lean to the somewhat more north/stronger solution. Just a hunch that you'll spin up a stronger low level circulation along that baroclinic zone which will lead to stronger WAA. 

Hope you are right.. I'll feel better once this thing is sampled..

I think I'd lean to the somewhat more north/stronger solution. Just a hunch that you'll spin up a stronger low level circulation along that baroclinic zone which will lead to stronger WAA. 

Agreed, it wouldn't be surprising if other models tick a bit north tonight although it might also be one of those situations where it won't be corrected until it crosses the Rockies.

Wasn't the wave sampled already by the RAOB network in Alaska for the 12z runs today (before it went back over water)?

If so, that sampling certainly didn't lead to the improvements some of us want...

I don't know how as it ( the core of it ) was in the Pacific south of AK?

gfs_npac_000_500_vort_ht.gif

Wasn't the wave sampled already by the RAOB network in Alaska for the 12z runs today (before it went back over water)?

If so, that sampling certainly didn't lead to the improvements some of us want...

Maybe one site partially sampled the fringe of it but that isn't much sampling if at all.

A couple of posters (including Rainman) implied this earlier in the thread, at least that one of the RAOB sites got data on this system...

Yep, the site on Kodiak Island might have gotten a shot at some sampling, but certainly nothing substantial.

Here was the post on it: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45273-15-16-clipper-system/page-5#entry3226802

Yep, the site on Kodiak Island might have gotten a shot at some sampling, but certainly nothing substantial.

Here was the post on it: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45273-15-16-clipper-system/page-5#entry3226802

Thanks.

And I noticed you both were actually discussing yesterday's 00z runs and not the 12z runs (so that was my mistake).

What I was getting at is the sampling that took place didn't lead to solutions any different than what we've seen on the 12z and the 00z runs so far.

But of course the shortwave in question is still evolving, and that could change once it re-enters the RAOB network.

Archived