Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z NAM is a great hit from Cedar Rapids through the QC, and down to LAF.  Nice 0.4-0.5" precip band in there.  Would indicate some 2" per hour snows for a time.

The two of us may actually have our 4-year >6" storm drought broken by a clipper.  :lmao:

Then we'll have to talk about our 4-year 7/8/9/10" storm drought.  lol

The two of us may actually have our 4-year >6" storm drought broken by a clipper.  :lmao:

Then we'll have to talk about our 4-year 7/8/9/10" storm drought.  lol

Lol, yeah I'm not surprised it's a clipper that may break it.  Seems like the SW systems always disappoint somehow.  Whether it's p-type, dry-slot, thread the needles, or whatever.  Just keep feeding us clippers.  :whistle:

I am not liking the south trend, about the only thing in my favor though is that widespread snow looks to occur well north of the heaviest swath. So, barring any radical last minute shifts, DTW should see at minimum 0.10" qpf, probably more than that. On the contrary, there is a RAZOR sharp cutoff south of the heaviest snow band. At first I thought it was NAM being NAM but even the GFS basically shows it. So realistically 30 miles south of the best snow may not see a flake.

09z SREF mean still 4.6" for DTW.

With the cold locked in.. A two inch snow will be way more productive than the last two months of systems combined.  The trends of the season have not been beneficial as of late for many of the subforum. I'll be grateful for the 2" we receive

With a possible flash freeze and snow squalls this afternoon you will be doing some pre-clipper salting.

Speaking of salt, even if its only a 2-inch snow, its going to be a plow type snow because it will be so cold.

With a possible flash freeze and snow squalls this afternoon you will be doing some pre-clipper salting.

Speaking of salt, even if its only a 2-inch snow, its going to be a plow type snow because it will be so cold.

A two inch snow is ... Presalt, keep the isles scraped and salted and clean up between 4am -7am and re-salt. I often scrape a 3/4-1" snow just to speed up the results of wet asphalt. A light salting is 3 tons of material.

9Z Plume for JOT has a mean of about 7 inches for the this event...

ORD...7.5 inch mean

Feel like these well modeled amped clippers tend to hedge a bit south and weaker as we get inside 36-48 hrs (there is a reason we don't see double digit totals from clippers all too often) but nothing crazy. The track has been more or less on ice for days outside the narrow corridor of possible warning criteria snows. On the plus side for us on the northern edges, the northern extent is usually rather broad and benefits a nice wide swath was quality ratios, whereas you have to gamble with an oftentimes nasty gradient on the southern edge. That said best mesoscale banding will be at least 50 miles to our west southwest.

Riding 3.3333 for MYB. Liking about another 1" on top of that down your way. I think you can toss the overly aggressive northern members skewing the SREF means.

Feel like these well modeled amped clippers tend to hedge a bit south and weaker as we get inside 36-48 hrs (there is a reason we don't see double digit totals from clippers all too often) but nothing crazy. The track has been more or less on ice for days outside the narrow corridor of possible warning criteria snows. On the plus side for us on the northern edges, the northern extent is usually rather broad and benefits a nice wide swath was quality ratios, whereas you have to gamble with an oftentimes nasty gradient on the southern edge. That said best mesoscale banding will be at least 50 miles to our west southwest.

Riding 3.3333 for MYB. Liking about another 1" on top of that down your way. I think you can toss the overly aggressive northern members skewing the SREF means.

I agree....even if I kill the top 3 it still gives me around 6 inches.....5 sounds like a good number in my mind for mby...with the nice 850 punctuations I could see some nice banding setting up in spots (which is fairly typical)...but a bit of guess at this juncture who precisely gets it

EDIT:  re-reading your post...I also agree for now....on the best banding spot...a nice corridor from north central iowa pointing towards PIA seems like a good guesstimate

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we a see a last minute jog north with this one. Tends to happen sometimes with these little buggers.

I'm going to stick it and say 3-6" for much of the CWA, with lollipops of 6+". I think the WSW was a good call but it's going to make the city go crazy spreading salt :/

Clippers usually start north on the models, then go south south south, then jog back north at the last minute. However the wild card here is the brutal cold airmass. That would say the clipper goes south, but the +NAO would say the clipper goes north. Just more model mayhem.

The northern extent can usually be broad, but it's also typically lighter than modeled (as models are always too quick to saturate the airmass with the best lift being higher up in the atmosphere).

1-3" still is a good call here...

Clippers usually start north on the models, then go south south south, then jog back north at the last minute. However the wild card here is the brutal cold airmass. That would say the clipper goes south, but the +NAO would say the clipper goes north. Just more model mayhem.

Although the teleconnections don't actually show an -NAO (as in a strong surface high/ridge centered over Greenland), there's still a Greenland-like block in place between the west coast ridge and the low pressure center spinning around Newfoundland.

That will prevent much digging/amplification of the clipper to allow for any appreciable northward shifts, especially with it being caught within a 150kt upper level flow out of the WNW and virtually little/no ridging ahead of it...

The intensity of the shortwave is pretty much being driven purely by the impressively tight baroclinic zone it's riding...

one thing the models seem to agree on is that the swath of accumulating snow will be more expansive north of the heaviest swath with a sharp cutoff south of the swath. So while id probably rather be in Toledo than Detroit for the best snow, we have more buffer room for accumulation than those south of the main swath.

See above response to Alek...

I feel like LAF is in a good spot. Any further jumps south in the GFS and LAF will be too far north :P In reality, I think a blend between the GFS and Euro is a good bet at this point.

I'd still rather be a bit north to allow some wiggle room but yeah, looking pretty good.  First call 4-6"  :yikes:

Archived