gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
1/5-1/6 clipper system

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ILN extends the watch south to include Ricmond IN to Dayton.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
1100 PM EST SUN JAN 4 2015

INZ050-058-059-066-OHZ060>063-070>073-080-082-051200-
/O.EXA.KILN.WS.A.0001.150106T0300Z-150106T1700Z/
WAYNE-FAYETTE IN-UNION IN-FRANKLIN IN-PREBLE-MONTGOMERY-GREENE-
FAYETTE OH-BUTLER-WARREN-CLINTON-ROSS-HIGHLAND-PIKE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RICHMOND...CONNERSVILLE...LIBERTY...
BROOKVILLE...EATON...DAYTON...XENIA...WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE...
HAMILTON...LEBANON...WILMINGTON...CHILLICOTHE...HILLSBORO...
PIKETON
1100 PM EST SUN JAN 4 2015

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH
TUESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH
TUESDAY MORNING.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES POSSIBLE.
LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE AREA LATE MONDAY EVENING
BECOMING HEAVY DURING THE NIGHT. SNOW WILL END LATE TUESDAY
MORNING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO
REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. THE TUESDAY MORNING
COMMUTE WILL BE HEAVILY IMPACTED.

The small bumps south and the slight reduction in precip amounts has me a bit concerned about my 5-7" call.  Thinking 4-6" is more like it.  Heaviest band of 5-8" looks to line up from Washington IA to a little north of Peoria.  So probably won't end the 6" streak, but will still be a real nice snow.

Gonna stick with the 4-6" range for LAF.  At the point now where a minor wobble either way won't kill us...and actually could use a north wobble on some guidance.  I think there's a chance of locally higher totals around here and thought about bumping it up by an inch but not comfortable enough.  This is basically a 6 hour snow event (lighter snow showers/flurries perhaps lingering longer) with a lot of damage coming in a 3-4 hour window so there's not a lot of opportunity to play catch up if it gets off to a sluggish start.   

DTX still going 1-2" tonight. Getting an inch of snow yesterday/overnight when I expected a light dusting is a big help, because I know at the very least if I can just pull off a freakin inch tonight there will be a 2" blanket of snow, which makes the tundra and tracking the next clipper a lot easier than when doing so with bare ground or even worse 33F and rain.

observation: if snowlover2 posts about model X, it moved south.

:lmao: I was SO going to mention that the other day but i didnt want to come off as snarky. But since the cats out of the bag... :lol:

:lol:

..well duh there weren't too many model Y's trending north, and besides, why would a guy in Dayton, or Chicago, or wherever give a crap about a trend away from him???   We all mostly post the evidence that favors our back yard.  How many posts did josh make in this thread, (not picking on you josh just making a point), in which he was posting about the further north ensemble guidance?

Back when this thread started, the axis of snow was on the MI/OH border.  Now it's thru central OH and could even jog further south, (still think that is plausible with the strength of this cold coming in).   So it kinda makes sense that snowlover would have had a lot of "xx model trending south" posts.....because ummm, well, it TRENDED SOUTH :lol:   I don't think too many were trending north.

Problem for you dudes out east is that south or north this wave dampens to garbage quickly as it heads east.

never thought of that....but thanks

sucks the way this is weakening east....   but I won't complain, the trajectory and track is just about the best we could ask for. Lock that in and qpf details will work themselves out, good or bad.

DTX still going 1-2" tonight. Getting an inch of snow yesterday/overnight when I expected a light dusting is a big help, because I know at the very least if I can just pull off a freakin inch tonight there will be a 2" blanket of snow, which makes the tundra and tracking the next clipper a lot easier than when doing so with bare ground or even worse 33F and rain.

If your 1 inch of snow that you got last night is not blown all over the place it's gonna look like 2 inches on the ground.

Will get an inch for sure but 2 inches that seems a bit high but who knows.

:lol:

..well duh there weren't too many model Y's trending north, and besides, why would a guy's in Dayton, or Chicago, or wherever give a crap about a trend away from him??? We all mostly post the evidence that favors our back yard. How many posts did josh make in this thread, (not picking on you josh just making a point), in which he was posting about the further north ensemble guidance?

Back when this thread started, the axis of snow was on the MI/OH border. Now it's thru central OH and could even jog further south, (still think that is plausible with the strength of this cold coming in). So it kinda makes sense that snowlover would have had a lot of "xx model trending south" posts.....because ummm, well, it TRENDED SOUTH :lol: I don't think too many were trending north.

Of course everyone wants it in their backyard and thats their focus. I want cyclone to get a 6" snow so bad I almost felt guilty for not rooting for him lol (since that would hurt me). But I think I have contributed more to the thread than just "x is south" "x is south" "x looks south". And im not picking on snowlover2, I just thought it was funny that ssc mentioned it because his posts stood out to me as well over any others in this thread, & obviously the point of all of us in this thread is we want it in our backyards. If you dont you have a screw loose :lol:

If your 1 inch of snow that you got last night is not blown all over the place it's gonna look like 2 inches on the ground.

Will get an inch for sure but 2 inches that seems a bit high but who knows.

we started as moderate snow with a temp of 34F before the temp plummeted. Id estimate the first half inch was wet snow and then the last half inch (which includes overnights fairy dust) powder. But its that tundra crunch snow its not blowing too bad. So yes 1" will look like 2", small victories :lol:

WAA in the plains just isn't what i was hoping to see a few days back when this looked like a super-clipper. Ratios will still do work, especially across Iowa but I don't think anyone in our subforum cracks double digits. On the plus side, wouldn't be shocked if we hit 25 or even 30:1 for a period.

I should have stuck with my original thoughts on this but I was being piled on for not giving this system way more credit.  Hell I even convinced myself that this was not a classic southern trender.

This cold shot coming in is so damn strong, it was hard to imagine how this wouldn't dampen and shear coming east, not to mention doing it on a further south trajectory.   Single digits to our near north, low teens here....waa looking pathetic, (as alek suggested), this just doesn't have the classic nice clipper look, (at least east of IL). 

That doesn't mean we can't pull off 3-4" of soap flakes as the atmosphere squeezes out every last bit of moisture available and ratios could be high.....still have my hopes up for that.  Biggest risk is a further south/weaker trend.    Regardless, this will be our best of the '14-'15 season so far. 

I should have stuck with my original thoughts on this but I was being piled on for not giving this system way more credit. Hell I even convinced myself that this was not a classic southern trender.

This cold shot coming in is so damn strong, it was hard to imagine how this wouldn't dampen and shear coming east, not to mention doing it on a further south trajectory. Single digits to our near north, low teens here....waa looking pathetic, (as alek suggested), this just doesn't have the classic nice clipper look, (at least east of IL).

That doesn't mean we can't pull off 3-4" of soap flakes as the atmosphere squeezes out every last bit of moisture available and ratios could be high.....still have my hopes up for that. Biggest risk is a further south/weaker trend. Regardless, this will be our best of the '14-'15 season so far.

Liking my 1-2 in call

Archived