• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

I posted some commentary in a pinned thread that probably belongs here (although it was prompted by a post in that thread), so here is a little more in an appropriate venue:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/SnowClimo/Rankings.html

Interesting list, but it seems clear that the stats aren't all accurate.  I doubt Bridgeport gets more snow than Norwich, in no way does Setauket belong near the bottom of the list, and Dobbs Ferry should be near the bottom of the list.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gfs looks real sloppy ….anything that forms with be pretty far east

GFS is putting too much emphasis on the northern stream as usual leaving the coastal offshore low weak and wandering - if the Euro holds firm tonight watch the GFS start playing catch up starting saturday 0Z at the latest......

I posted some commentary in a pinned thread that probably belongs here (although it was prompted by a post in that thread), so here is a little more in an appropriate venue:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/SnowClimo/Rankings.html

Interesting list, but it seems clear that the stats aren't all accurate. I doubt Bridgeport gets more snow than Norwich, in no way does Setauket belong near the bottom of the list, and Dobbs Ferry should be near the bottom of the list.

Setauket should be right up there with upton. I assume it's low do to the data set being biased to a less snowy period as the Obs station no longer exists

the real history of the mafia is much better than the fiction movies made about them...I have been reading the history of the mafia over the last three years or so...I went to school with guys who became made men...One was killed 20 years ago...they were not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree...the making of the godfather almost didn't happen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCiNd1Mm0M

Very cool an being a Brooklyn guy of the right time period I'm sure you did!

The real story of the mafia is definitely tops but I can't lie I have seen Goodfellas 100 times and I'll watch it 100 more

How did that 4-6 inches work out for you last week when they were on your side. That was a better setup than this next one.... High 42.....get the plows ready now! The chance of a White Christmas in NYC is historically around 20 percent. When this blessed event occurs, you will still be 15 days ahead of that time frame. Give it up dude. Unless you have a legit arctic air mass in place, a high still centered west of Montreal, and a perfect storm track, you will not see a big snowstorm in NYC this time of year........No matter how hard you wish. East wind/warm ocean= No Chance

Setauket should be right up there with upton. I assume it's low do to the data set being biased to a less snowy period as the Obs station no longer exists

Setauket / Strongs Neck has a very ;long period of observation, but from looking at the record, it seems like the observer didn't like to go out in the snow.  The numbers are just low for a lot of seasons because snowfalls were either not measured, or not reported, or measured days later.

just curious as to what everyones idea is when the term "inland" is used and where does "inland" begin in everyone's opinion

I'd say at least 20-25 miles of the coast, basically the places that saw 4" or more in last week's storm. But it is a very vague term. Just inland could mean anyone not right on the coast. Well inland could mean hundreds of miles

Archived