joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday/Night Storm Obs

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 11.8" in Norfolk CT is the 2nd largest 24 hour November snowfall and (I believe) the 3rd largest November multi-day snowstorm. A good reminder of how rare a good November snow is even for the elevated interior.

Also, a good reminder at how rare the October 2011 storm was (not that we needed reminding) with the 23.8" of accumulation there. The 9.5" on 10/6/1987 is even crazier. 

Looks like power will be down for awhile here.  Didn't see any unitil trucks near the house or out and about.  There is power at the businesses on 3a in Bow but seems like that's about it.  All the bays were full with people filling gas cans at Irving.

Thanksgiving dinner fail because they don't have power.  Not so bad watching football using generator power and a wood stove.

One of my many problems right now...a few houses down...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Trees and wires are down everywhere. There isn't a street light working along rt 3 from Franklin to Tilton.

Feel for you. Went w/o power for 4 days as a result of the October 2011 storm. Hope you and your family were able to have at least some holiday enjoyment today.

As it turned out, generator was working. had forgotten which circuits were hooked. Should have checked a bit more. Oven nit one of them though ftl. Shelburne still has 52% of us in the dark, and they d RR opped the eta fir repair on the message. Walking the dig at 5;00am was kind if nest seeing flashed from transformers ecplofing. Nice green lights.

LOL worst phone typist ever! Hope you get power back soon, it's no fun walking the dig without lights!

I think I'm close. They're putting in a new pole down the street right now. Fingers crossed. Bedroom is down to 52F.

Spend 40 bucks on a 400 watt dc inverter you can plug into your car and then plug your pellet stove in. Most pellet stoves only need about 200 watts to ignite and run IIRC. I use one for my greenhouse heater.

Edit: n/m some of them use like 500 watts

Spend 40 bucks on a 400 watt dc inverter you can plug into your car and then plug your pellet stove in. Most pellet stoves only need about 200 watts to ignite and run IIRC. I use one for my greenhouse heater.

Edit: n/m some of them use like 500 watts

I blew out my power outlet on my truck during Irene trying to run the fridge, stupid me.

I actually bought two 200 watt power inverters today, one for each car. Grabbed at walmart along with steak tips and a frozen strawberry cheesecake. Have a light, phones charging and the laptop going and the wood stove cranking. Actually in the low 70's downstairs and mid 60's upstairs so it's not bad at all.

Really hope power is restored before tomorrow night though with the nws forecasted low of 10 degrees

Nice. That's what I'm talking about. That looks like a healthy tree too

Not any more  ;)

Seriously, that tree showed loads of problems, starting with the black area on the stub, serious internal rot.  then there's the stain/discoloration near the bottom of the stub, the piece in the foreground with a hole in it, and the fact that the tree broke into several pieces upon landing.  The only surprise is that it hadn't come down in earlier storms.

What were your ratios? With that much damage it must've been like 6-7:1 sloppy paste? Glad you got your power back. Now cook a turkey on Saturday and call it Thanksgiving.

My dad does a 2nd one every Sat after Thanksgiving so I'm good. :lol:

It was 9-10:1 through midnight. Overall it came out a hair under 10:1 for the event. I actually forget the exact numbers. I posted them in this thread, but power was out so I never logged it in Excel.

Still in the dark with 62% if the rest if Shelburne. Wmeco says things will be "substantially' restored by noon tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Good luck, Mike :)   My ex is also without power yet (as is over 32,000 CMP customers).  I was lucky  - usually a squirrel farts and my electricity is out.  As it is, I went to her house and grabbed the uncooked turkey out of her fridge.  Guess what's on the menu tomorrow?

Good luck, Mike :) My ex is also without power yet (as is over 32,000 CMP customers). I was lucky - usually a squirrel farts and my electricity is out. As it is, I went to her house and grabbed the uncooked turkey out of her fridge. Guess what's on the menu tomorrow?

did she baste it with cyanide, all my exes live in Texas

For the areas that got the tree damage... Was the vast majority of trees down on wires from white pines? All the pics I've seen.. It looked like mostly snapped white pine limbs.. Was there any other species that was affected?

Everything. I had oak branches, 2 peach tree branches, and a maple branch down. That doesn't include the toppled white birches and small evergreen trees.

Archived