joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking this would have been an awesome storm if it had a colder antecedent airmass. It probably would've been a solid MECS. Yeah the 18z gfs ain't pretty but it could be an off run. I'll go with the Euro and Rgem right now they seem to perform the best.

RGEM/EURO especially for Miller A's is a pretty accurate combination. The 18z GFS has been known to release some terrible run to run consistency. I mean note what it said for reference but i wouldnt put too much stock into it

Did you see my post with the sounding, not looking good for nyc right now. Maybe 1 - 3 tops.

1-3  snow-sleet for NYC would still be one of the best frozen accumulations during the last week of November

in recent times. A good November is anything over 0.3".

NYC November SNOWFALL...0.3 INCHES

Something worth being mindful of, from the HPC's latest heavy snowfall disco:

THE OTHER OINTMENT IN THE FORECAST IS POSSIBLE ENHANCED RAINS ANDCONVECTION THATS OCCURRING ACROSS THE FL PENINSULA AND ANTICIPATEDALONG THE OUTER BANKS OF NC/GULF STREAM THAT WILL PROHIBIT THEPLETHORA OF MOISTURE TO SPREAD BACK INTO THE COLD SECTOR ANDENHANCE.

RGEM

This is a very tough forecast with respect to where the R/S line sets up.  Correct me if I'm wrong but there will be very little "mixing" with this storm, correct?  Due to thermal profiles, arent we looking at either plain rain or snow?

That said, we won't know until tomorrow how this plays out.

This is a very tough forecast with respect to where the R/S line sets up.  Correct me if I'm wrong but there will be very little "mixing" with this storm, correct?  Due to thermal profiles, arent we looking at either plain rain or snow?

That said, we won't know until tomorrow how this plays out.

Correct, your either going to get rain or snow.

18z GGEM SNOWMAP

post-12490-0-70826500-1416957160_thumb.p

I didn't know snow and penis went together...anyway at least the RGEM is encouraging. We just need some banding to overcome that sneaky 700 tongue. I think thats what saves the western half of queens, immediate areas points N/W.

Off hour RGEM runs tend to be bad, if the 00z is unchanged I'll feel better overall

there's some reason for snow-lovers to be encouraged a little bit by this afternoon's new model output, both the ECMWF, CMC and NAM have trended a little colder for the peak of this storm with a significant increase in vertical velocities on the NAM. But that said, it is the NAM. I see the NWS has jumped the gun and pulled the trigger for 4-6" totals in the region. I think they may have gone too far. My basic impression of this storm situation has not really changed much, I just think based on the latest maps, there may be a little more energy to this system and precipitation intensity may raise amounts an inch or so in all locations. So, I'm thinking 3-6" north/ne/nw of the city, a coating (much of coastal NJ and Long Island except nw Nassau Cty which could do better) to 3" in the city and along the coast. But I really think that most coastal sections will get closer to an inch than 3". Those are my latest thoughts.

Rain should begin after midnight tonight, become heavy at times before mixing with a changing to snow tomorrow early afternoon, the steady snow ending sometime between 7pm-10pm tomorrow night. After that just some flurries windy and cold through Thanksgiving Day. The GFS, however, remains quite warm at mid and upper levels and that still concerns me especially since we're starting this out with a warm surface.

WX/PT

That' happened December 05. Just further east I still don't buy that's happening here

It's very unlikely in this setup the entire thing feels weird as I don't recall off hand a storm tracking east of us which was as dynamic as this where we didn't go over to a decent period of snow but in this case the 700 low tracks inland, this could potentially bust even worse than we think to the extent even inland areas see very little

The RAP does look good. Quick cool down at all levels with surface hovering around 35-37 or so close to the city and around 33 further west. West of the Garden State Parkway looks to benefit most after this transition. The RAP however is way out of it's range I've found, and as others have said, it's best within 10 hours or so. But, it is more encouraging to see it in our favor than not at this point

Archived