joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM went crazy with the 700mb low-it closes off over the Delaware River and moves up to the Berkshires. That would be a horrendous torch at mid levels for much of SNE and obviously much of our area. It's unsupported now by other guidance so it's likely over done. 

And yet again this thread's turning into crap. Like clockwork. 

NAM went crazy with the 700mb low-it closes off over the Delaware River and moves up to the Berkshires. That would be a horrendous torch at mid levels for much of SNE and obviously much of our area. It's unsupported now by other guidance so it's likely over done. 

It did the same thing at 12z with the 700mb low, although it was stronger this time around. That same feature is responsible for getting the heavier rates inland.

Sounds like Upton is not going to change any of the watches just yet as warning criteria wouldn't be met until tomorrow night in those areas

I could see them pulling the trigger later tonight (with enough model support warranted) so that there is enough advance awareness in the morning as to what to expect.  Going to be a lot of people mulling about even outside of travel in places.

It did the same thing at 12z with the 700mb low, although it was stronger this time around. That same feature is responsible for getting the heavier rates inland.

I'd go much more with the Euro and other guidance that shows it weaker. The NAM frequently goes bonkers and overdoes VVs and therefore the strength of these mid level lows. 

New Upton totals, slashing amounts by a few inches

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Very smart of them to lower totals - no bias here (work in NYC/Hoboken area) but this one favors n/w of the city - it amazes me people are so immature when it comes to weather though. Nothing but bickering the past several pages.. Some storms will favor coastal areas, some favor interior areas, this one is the latter.. It's weather, and while I love snow, it's important to remember it's just that... snow.. 

The GFS is fairly close east of  NYC so the areas that don't go all out sleet will have rimmed flakes or snow pellets west of sleet zone.

I'd go much more with the Euro and other guidance that shows it weaker. The NAM frequently goes bonkers and overdoes VVs and therefore the strength of these mid level lows. 

Used to be QPF totals, now it might be the VV profile.  I can't realistically believe what it's showing there and I think it may be overdoing it.  If it verified though, would be incredible.

I've held onto hope with an 850mb low going west of the City and getting burned badly. Seeing it happening at 700mb, I'm not getting fooled again...

The warm air isn't coming from where it does usually-750 to 800mb, it's coming from well above that so 650-700mb. And yes, whenever you see the mid level lows west of you, it's almost a guarantee that much of what you see is sleet or rain.

Archived