• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

The thing that could ultimately kill it for the coastal plain & city would be the 1020 mb anticyclone parked over New Brunswick (Canada, not New Jersey).  Just a terrible place for it and w/o a legitimate cold air source  (in November, no less)...could be a problem.  TWT.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, to really accumulate it's going to have to come down very hard since we won't have a rapid drop off in temperature dipping below freezing

That's the key here. If we can get some serious rates 40dbz type stuff it's gonna stick to everything. I think allot of people will be surprised when it's puking big fat flakes that it sticks.

There was a strong nor'easter November 1997 where it was supposed to be all rain for Long Island but during some seriously intense rates we flipped to heavy wet snow that stuck for a while. As rates decreased it went back to rain and washed away what ever has accumulated.

That's what I truly believe is going to happen tomorrow

at the end of the run (hr 15) it shows the rain snow line collapsing and is moisture loaded

the HRRR is a home run hitter that strikes out a lot.  it can bust badly just 3 hours out, or nail it 7 hours out.   but it's way out of it's range right now.  i wore out the HRRR site last winter, and came away a bit of a skeptic. but it's certainly highly entertaining to check every hour.

Another note for the uninitiated:  *Never* use the GFS for 2 meter temperature forecasting during stormy periods along the coast.  Errors of up to 5 degrees happen quite often.  This is amply demonstrated by the number of times the GFS text forecast products will show wx conditions of "rain" at Bridgeport CT while concurrently forecasting "snow" at Kennedy Airport.  Realistically, this sort of thing happens about as frequently as there is a blue moon.  The GFS is a global model and has very limited insight into mesoscale matters...I did hear there was an upgrade in the offseason; I do not know if that particular shortcoming was addressed however. 

SREF are warmer and farther northwest from their 15z run. Noticeably so, too. H7 warming now gets inland past Newark. Keep in mind this is glancing only at coarse maps.

Is the warming later in the afternoon? The NAM showed the warming moving in further after somewhat of a front end thump, right?

SREF are warmer and farther northwest from their 15z run. Noticeably so, too. H7 warming now gets inland past Newark. Keep in mind this is glancing only at coarse maps. 

I don't have access to the 700 mb progs so my question is, is the warm air 8000 feet up or so coming in from the east or the south or both...since you specifically say "gets inland past Newark".

It looks like the snow total plumes were cut an inch or two across NYC areas, but actually increased by an inch at EWR from the last run. In regards to the SREF snow totals map, I assume that takes into account all frozen precip with a 10:1 ratio ?

Archived