• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

It's going to be a very nice and dynamic event and some people well inland are going to get dumped on good, probably 12"+ in the usual jackpot locations like West Milford and then extending up through the lower Catskills and into the Berkshires. It will probably rain/snow very hard for a 6 or so hour period at least given the amount of juice associated with the system. There's a ton of warm air from the Gulf Stream as well that will be lifted up in the WCB which should produce lots of precip-I think the higher end QPFs of 1.5-2" are a good bet.

It's almost sad though seeing a nice WV loop like that and knowing that the puddles on my street tomorrow are getting their act together now in the NE Gulf.

I agree. You know what tho dude, even if we see only a few flakes fall, it would be a treat. Would def prefer accumulation tho lol but we have all winter to look forward to that. Places to the north and west are already in the 30's. They will most likely start as all snow or a quick mix at worse.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did i look at the soundings properly - KJFK has a more favorable thermal profile on the NAM than KBOS?

I think our situation and Boston's are very much alike-latitude might help them a little more but the warm punch aloft looks a little more serious the further east you go. All in all it looks like one of those "near miss inland" KU events which are great in places like ORH, POU and ABE but are a washout or pelletfest in the megalopolis. 

When I saw the colder semi-trend from last night 0z reverse this morning, I pretty much knew it was over. We've all lived through enough of these wrong end of the I-95 R/S line events to know that we're in the shaft zone. I'll try to live as vicariously as I can where it's snowing hard and accumulating inland. It's looking more like one of those late 1990s type events which performed much better west of I-95 and particularly I-287. We're probably due for more of these given the last 5 or so winters.

Could be worse. At least we know it's over now. Growing up close to the bay I can recall several rain snow lines that setup at the southern state. Now that's real torture. Here i think you need to be above 500' and pretty far inland

When I saw the colder semi-trend from last night 0z reverse this morning, I pretty much knew it was over. We've all lived through enough of these wrong end of the I-95 R/S line events to know that we're in the shaft zone. I'll try to live as vicariously as I can where it's snowing hard and accumulating inland. It's looking more like one of those late 1990s type events which performed much better west of I-95 and particularly I-287. We're probably due for more of these given the last 5 or so winters.

Look at the setup - south shore.coast people never had a chance, in mid-november.

I think our situation and Boston's are very much alike-latitude might help them a little more but the warm punch aloft looks a little more serious the further east you go. All in all it looks like one of those "near miss inland" KU events which are great in places like ORH, POU and ABE but are a washout or pelletfest in the megalopolis. 

yeah, my money is on majority liquid. Its November in a marginal airmass, that is starting in the 50's....this setup would have a hard time snowing in January.

Looks maybe a little cooler than the GFS but otherwise in line with most other guidance I'd say. 

its funny, the image that saved was WAY different than the one that appeared on my computer when I viewed the meteocenter website....it must have been last nights 0z run I was looking at.

Now that I have seen the updated image, it is far less snowy than any of the last 4 runs

how the EURO look for LHV?

Good...at 21 hours, the Euro is still colder than the GFS by quite a bit...it has the 850 freezing line running from about the North Fork of LI to near Atlantic City and off the coast. NYC and Westchester are definitely well below 0C. In that timeframe, Euro shows .5-.75" QPF for the area...the .75" line barely touches far eastern LI so most of us are closer to half inch.

Good...at 21 hours, the Euro is still colder than the GFS by quite a bit...it has the 850 freezing line running from about the North Fork of LI to near Atlantic City and off the coast. NYC and Westchester are definitely well below 0C. In that timeframe, Euro shows .5-.75" QPF for the area...the .75" line barely touches far eastern LI so most of us are closer to half inch.

Warm layer is around 700. 

Def one of these events that nzucker whos not that far from me and allgame can get a few more inches then me.

Being in Bronxville at no elevation is going to suck in this storm. Farther east is a killer in this case...I am glad I have the 350' to help the boundary layer, and I am glad that I am close to the Hudson. Still thinking 3-5" here but could see more if temperatures hold out. 

What was your seasonal snowfall last year? I think my parents had 74" in Dobbs Ferry. I lived in southern Brooklyn and measured 58" in Bay Ridge.

Warm layer is around 700. 

This storm is a really tough call for the big cities and especially just north west. Meteorologists in BOS are having a similar problem. I think it's hard to expect more than 1-3" in NYC but could be a steep gradient depending on banding (which is mostly due to the track of the H7 and H85 lows) and also boundary layer conditions. Dewpoints are in the upper 20s across most of the region, but temperatures are hanging in the mid 40s due to light west winds. 

Really don't know if that gradient will be over NYC, in Westchester, up by the Putnam border/Taconic. Who really knows? But you could easily go from 1" at JFK to 8" in White Plains. No question about that...

Archived