• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Thanksgiving Eve SECS/MECS Discussion II

gkrangers

it certainly doesnt hurt lol.    a little rac is actually beneficial for surface temps after this mild day.

It helps more over the interior where there is less horizontal motion...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wait when the blocking sets up in the coming weeks. That's when the real fun begins.

Indeee this is why im not dissapointed with this storm. We get the blocking it will help us out greatly to get better cold air entrenched along the EC. Mid december on we should be ramping up for the heart of winter with a weak el nino to boot!

You can see how even though the SLP is farther west on the RGEM compared to 12z, the dynamics and heavier precipitation cool the column west of EWR. Western Union, Essex, Bergen counties on North/westward stay mostly snow ..maybe mix with IP for a time. OKX looks really good right now especially in Union/Essex with warnings only in the western parts of those counties. 

You can see how even though the SLP is farther west on the RGEM compared to 12z, the dynamics and heavier precipitation cool the column west of EWR. Western Union, Essex, Bergen counties on North/westward stay mostly snow ..maybe mix with IP for a time. OKX looks really good right now especially in Union/Essex with warnings only in the western parts of those counties.

That's way too close for comfort.. Major bust potential in either direction

Something I like with these models is the moisture content. I'm telling you, these models have slightly (1 or 2 degrees) warmer initialization temps, as many of us have had lower temps then forecasted, these little temp swings mean the world in storms like these. correct me if I am wrong.

Having lower temps right now doesn't mean much for what's happening 12-18 hours from now. Also I wouldn't rely on TWC for temp forecasts

If you are 20-60 miles NW of the city the RGEM says fire up your snowblower.. Thats def one model I want on my side at this time frame thats for sure

Oh yeah...it handles the thermal profiles really well at this juncture. It definitely was encouraging to see the NAM get cooler because it was the warmest model at least aloft. Seeing the 650-700mb warm tongue not make it to EWR was really encouraging for my forecast which has amounts on the high end of 3-5" in the Western burbs of NYC. 

But at the same time, I think there could be two local maxima at least relative to surrounding areas. One in Morris Co, Passaic Co and Bergen Co NJ and another in SE NY, W CT. The NE NJ max could come as a result of frontogenesis and enhanced lift on the NW side of thermal packing. You almost always get high snow totals right on the NW periphery of the mid level warm tongue....thank a TROWAL for that. 

Archived