Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

it is NOT  being  discontinued   this week   

2nd I was making a point  .. about why    WHY  for YEARS  I have loathed the GFS  for east coast winter storms 
yet TV  station after TV   station   up and down the east coast  ALWAYS  look at it  then look atthe    Euro  and  end  up saying  " the model are all over the place"

why are you even looking at a model that is being discontinued this week ? The Para is taking over.....suggestion to all - don't even look at the old GFS just look at the Para

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

next question - being a coastal hugger what is the wind direction in the metro ?

0  LINE  JUST  INLAND  FROM  s NJ to  NYC  to  BOS ... Low is  VERY close to the coast

this means  that once  the   GFS  gets within 84 hrs and  it  shifts  east.. as the gfs always  does

we can  anticipate the usual...  "its come  east "  banter  ...

and the   oldie but goodie   " the euro hadnt been right  all season"  

post-9415-0-83237300-1418582995_thumb.pn

The airmass is still a lot colder this run, though. This is because the H5 low didn't close off nearly as early. Look at how much more cold 850s are in our vicinity this run vs 12z. That could have major implications if we were to get a 50 mile shift east.

Looks a tick colder than the T giving storm. EWR could b ok with that set up.

Still KNYC is just a tick or 2 above from where they need to be.

I agree though it's close and this runs the entire coast.

So it's brutal for holiday travel in a lot of spots regardless.

The airmass is still a lot colder this run, though. This is because the H5 low didn't close off nearly as early. Look at how much more cold 850s are in our vicinity this run vs 12z. That could have major implications if we were to get a 50 mile shift east. 

2m dewpoints are in the upper teens and lower 20s around the area at 18z Saturday as well. Could be some cooling at the onset. Faster timing is better for us all snowise.

If the 50-50 low quickly exits the way the Euro has it doing now when the storm is coming, there won't be much to stop a coastal hugger and torch for places near the coast. There's also no high in a good spot to lock cold air in. This is where it's good to have blocking-to force the 50-50 low to stay and force an offshore track. This reminds me a lot of the storm last Dec 20th which had a couple of inches of slop near me and then tons of rain to wash it all away, but 6"+ of snow just inland. As soon as the coastal front and wind shift happened for me, the heavy precip started and we torched 10 degrees in a half hour. Until the upper air pattern changes, this isn't a storm I'm excited for in my area. 

If the 50-50 low quickly exits the way the Euro has it doing now when the storm is coming, there won't be much to stop a coastal hugger and torch for places near the coast. There's also no high in a good spot to lock cold air in. This is where it's good to have blocking-to force the 50-50 low to stay and force an offshore track. This reminds me a lot of the storm last Dec 20th which had a couple of inches of slop near me and then tons of rain to wash it all away, but 6"+ of snow just inland. As soon as the coastal front and wind shift happened for me, the heavy precip started and we torched 10 degrees in a half hour. Until the upper air pattern changes, this isn't a storm I'm excited for in my area.

You mean the 14th? Thats when temps kept dropping through the 20s and nobody thought the change to ice and rain would happen

I think that was the day I went from 23 to 34 in like 30 mins and then up to 45 the next hour.

Yep, that was the one. I was waiting and waiting for the front end that mostly didn't happen, and then as the real precip arrived the winds turned onshore and I went from mid 20s to 40s in under an hour. Another hour later it was as if it never snowed. That's why it's always hard for me to get excited for a storm that's supposed to produce at the beginning but then go to a dry slot when it warms up. Far more often than not here the warm air arrives a lot sooner. Locally, 2/13/14 was another such fail.

Upton is saying all rain and I agree - I think that Euro run is not cold enough

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KOKX.html

There's a chance that the system out west could act as a kicker, but there's nothing aloft stopping this from being another torch coastal hugger. Therefore, it's pretty likely to end up this way. 

The 17ths SW has not cleared the playing field  yet at 150 .  The mean is east and colder but 7 days out one should look at the members to get a clearer picture . There are several members to close for comfort .

IMO if the 21st SW  is 6 hours faster or the 17ths just a little slower in its movement E  then we are really close .

post-7472-0-23537400-1418588866_thumb.pn

Upton is saying all rain and I agree - I think that Euro run is not cold enough

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KOKX.html

Verbatim per reliable euro snow maps (not wxbell) 4 in line bisects Long Island and 8in line touches NW part of nyc. Everyone nw of 95 is 8+. This is several days out but your opinion of what the euro showed is incorrect. And look at a forecast discussion don't post the text forecast which will not explain any thinking. The reality is this will likely change and the overall pattern and cold air in place is not great so certainly could trend in the wrong direction.

With those higher heights over Hudson bay it should NOT cut . You can see here its holding to much energy behind in the SW  it so its slow to eject .

With a  trough into Europe would think this should go to OBX not ORD .

The Ole Rope a Dope-- MO

Mt Holly

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY: THIS PERIOD HAS THE MOST UNCERTAINTY. LOW

PRESSURE HAS BEEN CONSISTENTLY MODELED TO FORM TO OUR SOUTH AND MOVE

NORTHEAST. HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING IN TO OUR NORTH COUPLED WITH A LOW

TO OUR NORTHEAST MAY LIMIT THE ABILITY OF HEIGHTS TO REBOUND NORTH

IN THIS PERIOD AND ALLOW FOR COLDER AIR TO LINGER. AS A RESULT, THIS

LOW COULD HAVE A MORE FAVORABLE TRACK SOUTH AND EAST OF US FOR

WINTRY PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE REGION. A MORE INLAND TRACK WOULD

LEAD TO A WARMER SOLUTION. THE LAST FEW ECMWF RUNS ARE MORE

INTENSE IN TERMS OF LOWER PRESSURE, TRACKING A LOW FROM ALABAMA

NORTHEAST UP THE COAST. THE CMC MODEL IS QUITE A BIT MORE

SUPPRESSED AND SHEARS THE SYSTEM INTO PIECES KEEPING A WEAK

SHORTWAVE ALONG THE GULF COAST, DISCOUNTING THIS. WE ALSO HAVE THE

12Z GFS WHICH HAS A LOW TRACKING TO BUFFALO BEFORE FORMING AN

AWKWARD SECONDARY LOW TO THE SOUTHEAST. APPARENT MODEL BIASES

APPEAR TO BE AT WORK WITH THE GFS AS IT FORMS THE LOW VERY FAR

NORTH OVER TEXAS. A HIGHER RESOLUTION GFS IS MORE IN LINE WITH THE

UKMET. THE UKMET HAS A SIMILAR TRACK TO THE ECMWF TILL SATURDAY

MORNING BUT IS MUCH WEAKER. FOR NOW OUR FORECAST WILL REFLECT 1/2

00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN, 1/4 HIRES GFS AND 1/4 UKMET. THIS PLACES

NO EMPHASIS ON THE HIGHLY INTENSE ECMWF OR THE HIGHLY SUSPECT 12Z

GFS SOLUTION.

WITH THIS IN MIND, CURRENT THINKING IS THAT LOW PRESSURE TRACKS FROM

THE GULF COAST TO EASTERN TENNESSEE SATURDAY MORNING. THEN A COASTAL

LOW OFF VIRGINA BEACH DEVELOPS WHICH THEN SLIDES EAST/NORTHEAST OF

OUR REGION ON SUNDAY. THIS TRACK ALLOWS FOR BOTH CHANCES OF RAIN AND

SNOW FROM ROUGHLY THE FALL LINE AND POINTS TO THE SOUTHEAST WITH

COASTAL SECTIONS MOST LIKELY TO CHANGE TO ALL RAIN FOR A TIME.

INTERIOR AREAS SUCH AS THE LEHIGH VALLEY AND POCONOS HAVE THE BEST

CHANCE STAYING ALL SNOW. THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW WHICH

COULD IMPACT HOLIDAY TRAVEL. RAISED POPS TO HIGH CHANCE CENTERED ON

SATURDAY NIGHT. DETAILS ARE SILL UNCERTAIN IN THE EXACT TRACK AND

EVOLUTION OF THIS STORM, PLEASE STAY TUNED TO TO FUTURE FORECAST

UPDATES.

So what you do here ..is mold every euro run

till it gives you snow????

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Frazier Corner throws in the Towel

Verbatim per reliable euro snow maps (not wxbell) 4 in line bisects Long Island and 8in line touches NW part of nyc. Everyone nw of 95 is 8+. This is several days out but your opinion of what the euro showed is incorrect. And look at a forecast discussion don't post the text forecast which will not explain any thinking. The reality is this will likely change and the overall pattern and cold air in place is not great so certainly could trend in the wrong direction.

I'll post whatever I feel like -if you don't like it take a hike - I am being nice - I have been saying all along the last few days I thought it would be liquid ..........I mentioned we are in a step down pattern 17th and 21st rain and colder air to work with for the 24th storm with possible 50/50 and neg nao developing

Archived