• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

High pressure at that time is situated North of the great lakes..

ecm.png

Granted paltry air mass in place (not arctic) but nothing IMHO wrong with the position of the high!

Is that a miller B moving east, or a miller A moving northeast? I haven't seen the frames before.... A miller B in this setup could give decent snows doe many. Probably rain to snow for our neck of the woods.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A snow event would seem unlikely given a very positive NAO and probably positive AO. The PNA is doing its thing though and sometimes that could be enough. There's also more cold air available and even a high present in a decent location so a lot is going to depend on the what the storm itself does. Latest gfs really weakens it but it's been waffling so much that I can't take it seriously. 

High pressure at that time is situated North of the great lakes..

attachicon.gifecm.png

Granted paltry air mass in place (not arctic) but nothing IMHO wrong with the position of the high!

I would say there is an error with the placement of either the HP or the LP on that run..........if it were  to verify that way which is doubtful that is not snow here  with southeast winds bringing in warm air off the atlantic with an LP in that position...

I would say there is an error with the placement of either the HP or the LP on that run..........if it were to verify that way which is doubtful that is not snow here with southeast winds bringing in warm air off the atlantic with an LP in that position...

They are prob east not southeast that center is just off your east.

But east kills you too.

They are prob east not southeast that center is just off your east.

But east kills you too.

ok east then - that setup might work if there was an arctic airmass in place previous to the storm arriving and temps in the teens and water temps in the mid 30's but not with the airmass above freezing previous to the storm and water temps probably still above 40 - water temps are still in the mid 40's today

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.sxus81.KPHI.html

ok east then - that setup might work if there was an arctic airmass in place previous to the storm arriving and temps in the teens and water temps in the mid 30's but not with the airmass above freezing previous to the storm and water temps probably still above 40 - water temps are still in the mid 40's today

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.sxus81.KPHI.html

It won't be good for the city of nearby burbs but further north and west i may be good enough.

if you had a brain you would be    dangerous
    the criticism is over the Methods  used  not the   met 

really ? Some of the brainiacs around here think they have the long range all figured out already........One thing I don't like about who I was talking about is the bragging when he might be correct and then being critical of fellow METS in the business in advance.......

ABOUT   DEC 21   and 12z  euro run  

The cold air supply is limited... The over all Upper air pattern not great. This is a marginal situation for the interior and rain that ends as snow for the COAST. For western NC Mtns WVA western half of VA western half of MD .. most of PA this could be a SIGNIFICANT SNOW.. COULD BE..

from PHL to BOS again very mariginal on the coast...12z EURO shows wet snow or mix SIGNIFICANT SNOW Inland

As I said the KEY is the DEC 17 Low ( all rain for the all fo the east coast) . It is the rapid development of the DEC 17 Low into a BIG Low over SE Canada THAT sets up the DEC 21 Low winter storm threat. 

** IF the big low of SE cnada does not develop or if it moves away .. DEC 21 coastal Low ai all rain for everyone.

post-9415-0-15662400-1418501172_thumb.pn

post-9415-0-52248800-1418501177_thumb.pn

post-9415-0-18261400-1418501181_thumb.pn

Good analysis. Given such a seemingly unfavorable snow pattern it would be quite a win to score this thread the needle event. It seems we actually have a little more to work with compared to the last two events starting with the late November storm in terms of cold air available and the placement of certain features. 

And yeah everything lies on what happens with the low before it. I wonder if the storm on the 21st will also affect what happens after it. 

Christmas week starts the pattern . Big picture here are those heights that start to connect over the top after day 10 .

The euro ensembles cluster is further east but the key is the 17th system.

You need that on the playing field or East winds cook you.

Not sure what the control run is seeing because it actually drills the MA then heads due east. The ensembles are further north probably the better solution.

But there is no WARM air in this pattern. It's done by Wednesday . We are close to normal for a few then colder than normal on the back end of the curve.

Someone needs to call CPC they are going to need a touch of blue ink . Days 10 thru 15 .

if you had a brain you would be    dangerous

the criticism is over the Methods  used  not the   met 

:P    :grinch: OK I have challenge for you - you are invited to enter my 2014/2015 snowfall contest ! Lets see how good you actually are - the predictions are for NYC Central Park

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44832-predict-the-monthly-and-seasonal-20142015-nyc-snowfall/

Dec - 

Jan -

Feb-

March -

April -

May -

Total Season - 

:P:grinch:OK I have challenge for you - you are invited to enter my 2014/2015 snowfall contest ! Lets see how good you actually are Hotshot - the predictions are for NYC Central Park

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44832-predict-the-monthly-and-seasonal-20142015-nyc-snowfall/

Dec -

Jan -

Feb-

March -

April -

May -

Total Season -

Yes bc guessing snow totals proves something...

gfs is rain for almost every one, takes way to long for the low to transfer to the coast.

It should be transferring a lot fast and the main storm shouldn't be going that far north given a well defined 50/50 low. Granted it could still be too warm even then but not as warm as the gfs shows. Wait a few days until there's more consistency because so far each run has been different. 

Gfs LR brings the arctic hammer down and winter really kicks off unfortunately it occurs after the storms come through but again we're talking one LR gfs OP run which is mostly fantasy anyway. It's best to just use the ensembles as of now. 

It should be transferring a lot fast and the main storm shouldn't be going that far north given a well defined 50/50 low. Granted it could still be too warm even then but not as warm as the gfs shows. Wait a few days until there's more consistency because so far each run has been different. 

Gfs LR brings the arctic hammer down and winter really kicks off unfortunately it occurs after the storms come through but again we're talking one LR gfs OP run which is mostly fantasy anyway. It's best to just use the ensembles as of now. 

GFS always shows some super cold solution at the end of the run which never happens - also thats what we don't want that  frigid polar vortex sinking too far south to suppress the storm track so its snowing in the Carolinas while we watch the cirrus clouds float through the southern skyline

Mother Of Gawd. BOMB on Christmas Eve/Day on the GFS/ holy mother 

yes the GFS gives us a Christmas  present in its final days - but we will probably have to return it because it sure does look defective

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014121400/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_38.png

Then at 6Z the Good For Sh*t model has a different solution this why you don't look at this model past 3 days

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014121406/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_40.png

Archived