Toothache
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mo-

your mixing apples and oranges

your doing temp profiles today (euro style)

I was showing track guidance with gfs ens and op run

Why are we putting a label on these systems so early without any consensus???

Mitch Miller forecast ......

follow the bouncing ball  :ph34r:

1. I couldn't be more clear that days 1 thru 15 was going to turn out colder than normal after the CPC back on Nov 29th had its 6 to 10 and 8 to 14 guidance above... we can put a check In that box.

2 Yesterday you posted CPC latest guidance for the 6 to 10 and 8 to 14 which was warm . I said BS not Gona happen Dec 20 - 31 will be below normal. The euro ensembles support me.

3 I said some snow xmas week.. yesterday your question was where's the cold air to support it.

Today you are arguing suppression . ( which would have to imply colder than normal ) right ? I mean why would LP slip to you S if there wasn't air pressing down in the NE

My issue is the GFS. I see your argument but you are going fishing with a hammer.

Just trying to give the better tools so you don't waste the day out on the water

WHY in  god's name  would anyone use   not only    the  OP gfs  BUT  THE  6z GFS  for  east coast  threats is  beyond me  

it screwed last week storms  BIG  time.. it neve the event until 96 hours  out then it  was way too cold which lead  to many forecast for  snow  IN NYC   area  and it was  god awful for   NOV 26  event 

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_uv250_eus_41.png

GFS ENS

250mb Upper Air Pattern for Xmas Eve

run the loop

it slides off - HOT- (fast)

not a positive trend for turning up the coast  -imho

run comparison

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2014121406/gfs-ens_uv250_eus_comp240.html

yes.... I know its simplification   :bag: 

but nice guidance nonetheless

GFS 6z op run

shows this trend---- at the surface level

attachicon.gif5f0c9a1cf099e34a2e8af0aa18d.gif

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014121406/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus.html

My issue is the GFS. I see your argument but you are going fishing with a hammer.

Just trying to give the better tools so you don't waste the day out on the water

Paul

better tools perhaps

explaining the JET STREAM influence on the GFS  track guidance

Zonal Flow is not suppression thru Christmas

after that time frame the Euro Guidance

and the CPC temp maps can have at it

understood???

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

DUDE   ...

1st the PV is NOT needed.  In fact   having the PV come  way south is  actually  NOT   good for   east coast snowstorms .

2   the map you posted is  SATURDAY   .,...all CPC   products  from Saturday  are    computer generated 
   so whatever the GFS says   that is what the   6-10 DAY n and    8-14 day  will show  

Good Morning Cassius   :D

WPC take on temp trends  (min temp anomaly)

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/hpcminwbg.gif

attachicon.giftem.gif

Where is the PV?????

again  100000000%    GFS   Generated  ... all 6-10 day and   8-14 day  coc  maps   are   a straight rip and read of the op  GFS

better tools perhaps

but look at my  craftsmanship explaining the JET STREAM influence on the GFS  track guidance

Zonal Flow is not suppression thru Christmas

after that time frame the Euro Guidance

and the CPC temp maps can have at it

understood???

attachicon.gifcpt.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

WHY in god's name would anyone use not only the OP gfs BUT THE 6z GFS for east coast threats is beyond me

it screwed last week storms BIG time.. it neve the event until 96 hours out then it was way too cold which lead to many forecast for snow IN NYC area and it was god tawful for NOV 26 event

And look what it does at 12z. Goes from suppression to Toronto .

I like the euro s idea takes a miller A. Once east of the MISS it has to get its feet wet and should follow the warm water off the EC .Any COD on the the coastal plain ( if any ) will b a result of the 17th system

But ths doesn't cut or just slide out

WHY in  god's name  would anyone use   not only    the  OP gfs  BUT  THE  6z GFS  for  east coast  threats is  beyond me  

it screwed last week storms  BIG  time.. it neve the event until 96 hours  out then it  was way too cold which lead  to many forecast for  snow  IN NYC   area  and it was  god awful for   NOV 26  event 

The floor is all yours....

This was not a final a forecast 

showing Jet Stream  guidance

in relationship to the latest Op run

250mb guidance on the GFS ENS

is steady and true 

dm

one can NOT    use a model.. anyone model... to  prove that   the  model is correct / accurate  etc

this is like  citing the Bible to prove   the Bible is the word of   god....  ONLY  an idiot would do that  since we all already
know that  the bible is going to   tell us

or  its like going to a  marxist  and asking if  his   communism  works.  
There is only   1 possible answer from a   marxist  view point

suppression has actually worked out for our area,  if we are going to get a great snowstorm here with no mixing, either we need the track to be suppressed SOMEWHAT so we are on the northern (ish) side of the storm or we need very cold air to the north.  otherwise we are going to have to "thread the needle."

Actually suppression is needed for snows in NYC and the coast. I have a rule for snowstorms in monmouth county, when people start talking suppression it's time to get the ruler out. Give me the cold and I'll find the snow. Bring on the PV, bring it ad far south as you want, snow will eventually get us good.

Excuse me DT

but why not  baby sit

the pattern change topic you opened on all the regional threads???

we out for the day folks

Trolling has become its own profession

Tommy E

You have been around long enough to know DT's style.  Don't ley it get to you.  I am glad to see he is back here posting and actually he seems to have mellowed somewhat.  You have been posting some great stuff.  As far as the banter goes, I am getting a lot of information out of the 'banter'.  It's fun reading.

REGULAR GFS vs 13KM GFS ABOUT DEC 20-21 EAST COAST THREAT

This is one of the reasons why I hate the operational GFS past 84 hours for East coast storms

Being that the parallel will be the GFS, you're thinking it will be a much more accurate model? If so...that's very good. America can maybe have a solid weather model

REGULAR GFS vs 13KM GFS ABOUT DEC 20-21 EAST COAST THREAT

This is  one of the reasons why I   hate the operational GFS   past 84 hours for East coast  storms

why are you even looking at a model that is being discontinued this week ? The Para is taking over.....suggestion to all - don't even look at the old GFS just look at the Para

Archived