• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
T-day eve possible SE winter storm (11/26/14)

GaWx

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point HKY. The battle is BL and it may be decided based on what happens in the next 24 hours, not 70 hours from now.

I can tell you guys in Dec 2009 I saw it pour snow slush and rain all day with brown ground to show for it. Drove 10 Miles nw/west and 4 inches laid on the ground. So be prepared someone from raleigh back to Wilks Boro /hickory is gonna be the unlucky soul and witness the same expierence I had. I could list a few other times of transition type nightmares I've witnessed such as this. Some worked out great others not so.

We will be heading 3500 feet up black Friday to make the annual tree cutting family tradition trip. Never walked through the snow to find the ole tree, but odds are this may be the year, so I'm pumped to say the least.

If that northern energy could speed up and phase we would have a big daddy. Right now there just isn't a phase and it's too warm. On the back end it does cool down and there is a good amount of QPF still left around. 

Im thinking this could phase.  EURO is very close to it.  I still think this *could be an I-85 special.  Less wintry near GSP

uote name="NCSNOW" post="3141782" timestamp="1416766506"]Good point HKY. The battle is BL and it may be decided based on what happens in the next 24 hours, not 70 hours from now.

I can tell you guys in Dec 2009 I saw it pour snow slush and rain all day with brown ground to show for it. Drove 10 Miles nw/west and 4 inches laid on the ground. So be prepared someone from raleigh back to Wilks Boro /hickory is gonna be the unlucky soul and witness the same expierence I had. I could list a few other times of transition type nightmares I've witnessed such as this. Some worked out great others not so.

We will be heading 3500 feet up black Friday to make the annual tree cutting family tradition trip. Never walked through the snow to find the ole tree, but odds are this may be the year, so I'm pumped to say the least.

That system was all about elevation and the BL hurt everyone else. I was in Taylor at the time and got just a few pellets of sleet with temp of 34. Went up Ceasers Head and big snow above about 2500 feet. Below that; nothing. Anytime we are worried about BL elevation is the key. I'll bet this is one of those times.

#PrayForThePhase

Sounds like accumulations could go from significant to nothing in just a matter of miles. At worst, maybe some precip can lag around on the backside for some rain-to-snow action for some. :)

Brandon (or anyone for that matter who wouldn't mind sharing) how does the King look for the GSO-Mt Airy-MTV-DAN corridor?

#PrayForThePhase

Sounds like accumulations could go from significant to nothing in just a matter of miles. At worst, maybe some precip can lag around on the backside for some rain-to-snow action for some. :)

Brandon (or anyone for that matter who wouldn't mind sharing) how does the King look for the GSO-Mt Airy-MTV-DAN corridor?

GSO looks too warm this run. The line runs from AVL to HKY to MTV. CLIMO wise this make sense given the SLP track. A degree or two will make a huge difference in this one.

And here are Robert Gamble's thoughts from Facebook.  Much more on his website:

After today's model runs, I still see no reason to change my earlier thoughts on the East Coast and Appalachian November snowstorm. European is probably right, and GFS continues shifting toward that. I have a huge breakdown already (twice ) at my site (wxsouth) and I will soon do a snowfall map, breaking down regions. I expect rain to work quickly north through Georgia and SC pre dawn Wednesday, overspreading NC and Virginia through midday Wednesday. It will quickl turn to SNOW in western NC, western and middle, northern Virginia, a very wet, sloppy snow, but pretty as well with big fat flakes. The snow will mostly melt on roadways, because surface temps during the storm will be middle 30s in a lot of places. I expect 33 ° in Charlottesville, Washington DC during the afternoon Height of the snowstorm, so sloppy amounts on roads, but a good deal (Postcard Scenes) on buildings, Bushes, Trees, Grass. Richmond is a close call, around 37 ° possibly going to snow or a mix, but just west of town, mostly turning to snow. Greensboro and Winston Salem, Rain quickly to Snow, around 35° during the day, so mostly just grassy accumulations. Much tougher call in Charlotte to Greenville Spartanburg and Athens Interstate 85 corridor...that area gets the precip first, and begins as rain, but some areas along that region between Raleigh, Charlotte to even Atlanta may have a switch over to snow, or mix at times...Best chances further west of Interstate 77 and north of 85.
Mountains..Asheville, Boone, Bluefield, Foothills Hickory, Mt . Airy, Roanoke, Wytheville, Staunton...Mostly all snow, and lots of it. The snow could reach northeast Georgia, but the precip ends pretty quickly there.
Still, a nice Thanksgiving Treat is likely to set you in the Christmas Spirit. Will be interesting to see if South Carolina gets two November Snowfalls.

And here are Robert Gamble's thoughts from Facebook.  Much more on his website:

35F with snow during the day....  The rates better be heavy or it's just going to be Snow TV (taking a page from the Mid-Atlantic subforum) with no accumulation.  Of course, I wouldn't complain about Snow TV in November (actually, yes I would, but that's because I'm a weenie).  :weenie:

By the way, here is the map he posted a few minutes ago on his Facebook page, FWIW.

10653339_949095755120480_237089542589093

GSO looks too warm this run. The line runs from AVL to HKY to MTV. CLIMO wise this make sense given the SLP track. A degree or two will make a huge difference in this one.

I agree   ;)  I could see Mt Airy getting accumulating snow and GSO just watching some flakes fly to CLT even getting in on it towards the end with a little flake action   ;)

EDIT: I should have read the whole thread before replying  :lol: 

Yep, pretty typical indeed. My neighborhood may make out like a bandit as it usually does. I sit at ~1300ft whereas the actual town of Bassett is about 1100ft and MTV around 1000ft.

Still plenty of details to be worked out. Earlier phase, dynamical cooling, storm track, etc.

The fact that we're following a winter storm period before Thanksgiving is just awesome. Now let's enjoy these 70s tomorrow...not. :P

I've always wondered how much elevation plays into this kind of marginal event in this area.  While the Piedmont is not mountainous, there is a big elevation difference between Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Raleigh.  Charlotte sits at 751 ft. (I think that's the airport, so the city may be less) while Greensboro is at 902 ft. (at the airport, the city is ~800 ft.).  Winston-Salem is at 970 ft. while Raleigh is at just 315 ft.  Guilford County has some fairly decent elevation changes with the western areas being 900+ ft. ASL while the southeastern areas are well under 700 ft.

KATL still in the game.

I agree with this, especially for mainly nonsticking or perhaps a T or even a very small measurable accum. snow. Although the primary Miller A storm track that has given KATL sig. snow in the past has been when the low forms in the W GOM and moves E or ENE, ATL has received big snow from at least one forming in/near the E GOM or the Caribbean. The one I know of off the top of my head was a rare early Dec. major hit (6-7"!) way back in the late 1800's (the low actually came up from the Caribbean!). The main problem as I see it is the lack of a solid Arctic high to the north and west. It looks rather paltry to me. So, as of now, I doubt that it would be cold enough at the surface for sig. sticking despite very favorable 850's that are colder than 0C. But it isn't impossible, of course, especially considering that the 12Z Euro has ~0.50" of qpf for KATL. Regardless, several hours of a nonsticking snow or snow/rain mix would be quite possible as it appears to me as of now.

Measurable KATL snows in November: 11/27/1912: 2.2"; 11/11/1968: 1.0"; 11/23/1975: 0.6"

My guess as of now: KATL will get a T of SN on 11/26.

I've always wondered how much elevation plays into this kind of marginal event in this area.  While the Piedmont is not mountainous, there is a big elevation difference between Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Raleigh.  Charlotte sits at 751 ft. (I think that's the airport, so the city may be less) while Greensboro is at 902 ft. (at the airport, the city is ~800 ft.).  Winston-Salem is at 970 ft. while Raleigh is at just 315 ft.  Guilford County has some fairly decent elevation changes with the western areas being 900+ ft. ASL while the southeastern areas are well under 700 ft.

James, I've seen it play a huge role several times in my area.

My neighborhood sits at 1300' per topo maps.

10 miles east in Bassett: 1100'

20mi east in Martinsville: 950'

We'll have accumulating snow in my neighborhood, drive down the hill into the town of Bassett, they'll have light rain/snow mix with little accumulation, and Martinsville will have about the same or even less.

It's really neat to see that play out. I tell my co-workers I live in a snow globe. They never believe me when I say there's snow on the roads at my house.

I just finally got around to looking at the 12z NAM.  I know it's way out of its useful range, but talk about a different solution.  No precip makes it west of Greenville, NC or so.  Interesting to have an outlier like that.  FWIW, the UKMET looks in fairly good agreement with the Euro and GFS, though maybe a little warmer (from what I can tell from the limited maps available).

Jonathan, interesting.

It will be interesting to see if the Euro Ensembles are as far west as the operational later on this afternoon.

I think our best hope is that none of the hi-res models are showing the storm yet; thus we don't have any hi-res thermal data to look at in the boundary layer.

I know with the last snow event, none of the global models were showing snow in SC, yet the the hi-res model's were all over it.

So in summary we need the short range model's to:

1. Actually develop the storm and

2. Show colder boundary layer temps under the best lift/precip rates.

Archived