• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
T-day eve possible SE winter storm (11/26/14)

GaWx

That trend to go negative tilt earlier and earlier cannot be ignored. Those of us east of Raleigh are going to be on the outside looking in on this one I am afraid.

A lot can change but there is good model agreement between the GFS/Euro now, atleast at our latitude, still don't think the Euro tracks this over BOS.   A track just over/outside of HAT is most likely, still won't do it for RDU but is great for areas west of 85.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Just what I wanted to hear.

What you want to know? The Euro op tracks the SLP just inside HAT, the Euro ENS mean is about 50 miles east of HAT with really good agreement actually which looking at the individual runs. There is a big cluster just about 25 miles east of HAT. I think this tracks just over HAT or just a smidge east of HAT, IMO, which is where the 12z yesterday had it. Now if the 12z Euro ticks west again then maybe I am wrong, but I would guess the Euro Op starts to windshield wipe over HAT the next couple of runs.

SREF mean made a huge shift West.  I imagine the NAM might start to get a hint with the 12z run.   

I have a feeling this storm is going to be depressing for my area.  A warm boundary layer always seems to win out in my location while area's all around me switch over to snow.  At least the heavy precip should come through early in the AM, so maybe that will help.  

Right now, the boundary layer depicted by the GFS/Euro just looks too deep for most outside of the mountains to get any snow, IMO. Let's keep an eye on the shortrange models when they pick up the storm and hope that they show a better low level profile under the heavier rates.

The BL on the GFS is just going to be a tough nut to crack. However, it would seem the BL Is significantly cooler on the euro. If you look at your 925MB temps, you can see they are below zero from about CLT up to HKY. With a surface temp in that area anywhere from 33-35, I believe your column would be isothermal and whatever fell after that point(Hour 84) could be a mix of snow/rain or even all snow if the rates are high.

post-62-0-39372100-1416754685_thumb.jpg

That trend to go negative tilt earlier and earlier cannot be ignored. Those of us east of Raleigh are going to be on the outside looking in on this one I am afraid.

You and many in NE NC will be pulling for the 12z NAM. Keeps the storm off shore and weaker but gives your area some precip with 850s below freezing.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_081_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=081&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141123+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=79

For my area, I love it. Keeps an eastward depiction of at least one model (even if it is the NAM). Hopefully we can get the GFS and euro to shift east some (...being greedy for the RDU area).

To have any shot we need the 6z GFS track, maybe a smidge east, and we need heavy precip.

The BL on the GFS is just going to be a tough nut to crack. However, it would seem the BL Is significantly cooler on the euro. If you look at your 925MB temps, you can see they are below zero from about CLT up to HKY. With a surface temp in that area anywhere from 33-35, I believe your column would be isothermal and whatever fell after that point(Hour 84) could be a mix of snow/rain or even all snow if the rates are high.

Good analysis, I agree.

I like where we sit in WNC.  Boone could really get hammered and if that energy phases just a few hours earlier then what the GFS shows this could be a great snow for Asheville.  NWF will be in full effect either way Thursday morning and travel through the gorge may be impossible.  If you are headed to Tennessee or west, I suggest traveling Tuesday night but most probably have to work Wednesday.

Archived