• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
T-day eve possible SE winter storm (11/26/14)

GaWx

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its clear the  highest qpf is over eastern nc and start dropping sharply as you head west.....i think our only chance at flakes on this side of nc is when the low is pulling away......still alot of time to play out..... could the last minute east trend commence like last year who knows... nice way to start of winter...

Indeed. So. Many. Variables. Interesting that he still feels upper dynamics and cooling are the elixir for us around Crown Town.

fwiw the 18z nam had more cooling than the 12z. the cooling only brought the 0c line from 875mb to 900mb at Charlotte. Might see a few flakes survive the melting, but that's it for Charlotte. Don't see how the NAM can be off by 2000+ft this close to the event.  

NAM is digging the s/w further southwest. I have a feeling this run is going to do the typical NAM and go bonkers on QPF for the SE. 

Hey Burger how are ya man? Was just about to comment on this. Do we want the southern vort to maintain dominance and have the northern vort more weak or vice versa?

Hey Burger how are ya man? Was just about to comment on this. Do we want the southern vort to maintain dominance and have the northern vort more weak or vice versa?

Think we want the southern vort to juice up and dig as much as it can...then have the northern vort to swing in on the backside, if it could phase at the last minute it should help really blow up that low and force heavy rates so we get some cooling. 

Well, I have made my first post regarding this chance of snow and rain with this upcoming storm system the day before Thanksgiving. Here is the link to the forecast: http://wxjordan.com/weather-forecast/forecast/94-storm-brings-rain-snow-chance-to-southeast-united-states

This graphic shows my current thinking....

Slide1.JPG

Dynamical cooling is going to be needed for areas north and west of I-85 to receive snow from this system. We will need good rates and a lot of moisture to overcome temperatures that are too warm for snow in normal situations.

I am keeping accumulations limited to the mountains at the moment. This is the safe approach as I am not sure if temperatures will decrease enough for accumulations outside the mountains. Model trends on Monday and Tuesday will provide more insight into what will occur with this system.

Models are also showing this being a relatively quickly event, only lasting 12 hours for areas outside the mountains. Of course, areas in the mountains will see a higher chance of elevated accumulations.

Any time you have this sharp of a 500 mb trough, wild and unorthodox things can happen. It may be Tuesday before I have a good handle of the evolution of this storm system outside the mountains.

lol CLT might be the winner on this one @63 it gets hot and heavy right over MBY. 

Yeah, the heaviest precip axis pretty much nails the I-85 corridor.  850s are well cool enough, though I'm not sure about surface temperatures.  Over 1" of QPF and still going at hr 69.

The storm skirts DCA and kind of screws them, so it's a lot different than the Euro.  Is the NAM leading the way or is it being the NAM?  Tune in later tonight to find out! :lol:

Brad P just released a video on his thoughts concerning the upcoming storm.  He's quite bearish for anywhere east of the mountains, but he kind of has to be with the large exposure he gets, especially after repeatedly cautioning people about "reckless posting on social media".

When it's your job you can't be as wishful for the "maybes" and "could be". I see all of his points. As Robert said for anyone east of the mountains it's going to be all about the things models have the hardest time picking up. I want to see the clown maps from the NAM. 

When it's your job you can't be as wishful for the "maybes" and "could be". I see all of his points. As Robert said for anyone east of the mountains it's going to be all about the things models have the hardest time picking up. I want to see the clown maps from the NAM.

Not much to see. NAM shows maybe an inch or less from DC south through the western Carolina's. Some parts of the NC/VA border maybe 2", but there's nothing much to measure elsewhere.

Archived