• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
T-day eve possible SE winter storm (11/26/14)

GaWx

When it's your job you can't be as wishful for the "maybes" and "could be". I see all of his points. As Robert said for anyone east of the mountains it's going to be all about the things models have the hardest time picking up. I want to see the clown maps from the NAM. 

0z NAM torches and the snow map is very bleak.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird it didn't look much different cold wise from the GFS and looked colder to me than the 18z. 

925 to the surface doesn't look very pretty this go; Stays above 0C the entire event for NC, mountains included. The whole evolution of it seemed a bit 'off'. I do like how it looked at 5h though.

The GFS has GSO at 35F verbatim under heavy precip and sub-freezing 850s at hr 60.  CLT is 36 and most of the foothills are in the mid 30s, too.  Boone is the cold spot at 32.

I'll take my chances on that. Might end up with a day like the one before the big storm in Feb. where it just snowed all day with nothing really accumulating much. 

The GFS has GSO at 35F verbatim under heavy precip and sub-freezing 850s at hr 60.  CLT is 36 and most of the foothills are in the mid 30s, too.  Boone is the cold spot at 32.

Yeah...that 34-36 degree range runs from the SFC to about 900mb which is just thick enough to ruin what falls out of that sub-freezing layer at 850. That's why I would like to see 850's get down -2 or lower and 900mb get to freezing. Right now there's just not enough cold air supply at the surface to bring that on the GFS...

With that all said, the GFS has been warm biased of all things on its temps this autumn. The margin of error on this is pretty small in regards to the effects it could have on this storm for those to the immediate east of the mountains...

Wish we could just lock up the WB clown for the 00z GFS.  So beautiful.  Tinges of pink (9"+) show up around GSO with 6"+ from around Salisbury, NC on N/E from there through Richmond.  Realistically, you can probably cut that in half or more, though, and some of that may not be snow (if any of it is, providing the BL doesn't screw us), though the WB clown for the GFS usually isn't too ridiculous like the Euro one.

How does the AmericanWx map look, Pack?

Looks colder than the 18z run, though, FWIW.  Not quite as wet, but it's still wet enough as the heaviest precip axis basically sets up right along I-85.  The surface may be on fire, though.

0z gfs is with out a doubt a snow player. Just look at the setup folks pay too much attention pbp. Surface 850 and 500 is cold enough for snow down on the back side of the comma head in NE GA, W SC. W NC Central NC and Va. With the amount of cold air comiing in ranging from hour 63 +

Archived