• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
T-day eve possible SE winter storm (11/26/14)

GaWx

18z GFS looks much better. It is so close to a phase with that northern energy. More negatively so a lot wetter for WNC. Thickness still isn't there but if you got 850's right with that much moisture it might do it. 

18z GFS...IMBY sounding at 66 .. gotta work more on the low level temps.  Would be tough to overcome that. I'm at 850 ft or so.

gY7fUc3.png

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS still does not deliver enough at the boundary layer for folks in the North Carolina foothills...I would like to see those temps lower just a bit more before getting my hopes up

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbsnd.cgi?id=KMRN&mo=gfs_avn_us&pl=out4&ft=h66&cu=latest&pt=parcel&size=640x480

18z GFS...IMBY sounding at 66 .. gotta work more on the low level temps.  Would be tough to overcome that. I'm at 850 ft or so.

Yea looking closer even the usually wonky clown maps of the GFS have nothing outside of the mountains. 

QPF from this is now in the 0.50-0.75" for especially S & E ATL burbs. That has been increasing overall from what I can see. That's pretty significant and is a reason to watch the low level temp.'s carefully. However, I'm still going with a T of SN at KATL as my early guess fwiw due to the lack of a solid Arctic high to the N and W. We'll see!

FWIW, the WeatherBell GFS clown (which usually isn't that awful) has 2"+ from around Burlington on down to just NW of Charlotte and N/W from there.  No one gets >6".

Surface temperatures actually don't look that bad.  Mid-30s are workable.

I still remember last years (mid-Feb) coastal, the Euro had it tracking way inland at this range, even at 36 hours out it had it tracking just west of New Bern and it end up tracking just over HAT.  I remember, we got into a huge debate about whether is to strong/west with coastals inside 72 hours.  I think you guys have a chance at this ticking east enough and getting enough cooling with heavy rates to have some accumulating snow on trees/grass.  The models are spitting out sick precip.

This is at the heart of the precip, this shifts east a hair and Euro is 1-2F off it's a different story.

post-2311-0-46051700-1416783344_thumb.pn

This looks reasonable to me for precip type, for the 18z GFS...basically, a wet snow event in the mtns.  Sfc temps hang in the 32-34 range through the day Wed for much of the mtns.  Close call in areas of foothills and piedmont.  850mb low runs from just southeast of Columbia to just southeast of Raleigh, a very good track for the NC mtns.

mhzgub.gif

QPF from this is now in the 0.50-0.75" for especially S & E ATL burbs. That has been increasing overall from what I can see. That's pretty significant and is a reason to watch the low level temp.'s carefully. However, I'm still going with a T of SN at KATL as my early guess fwiw due to the lack of a solid Arctic high to the N and W. We'll see!

ground temps would also be a big issue I would imagine

I just looked at a few skew-t charts for NW ATL. Below 850 is a complete mess. I think unless we can get the cold a bit deeper it's going to be a case of snow at about 2500-3000 feet plus. Brasstown Bald is probably going to get whacked pretty good leaving the low landers in a rain. JMO as it sits now. It wouldn't take a lot more cold to cause a pretty scene in Atlanta.

I still remember last years (mid-Feb) coastal, the Euro had it tracking way inland at this range, even at 36 hours out it had it tracking just west of New Bern and it end up tracking just over HAT.  I remember, we got into a huge debate about whether is to strong/west with coastals inside 72 hours.  I think you guys have a chance at this ticking east enough and getting enough cooling with heavy rates to have some accumulating snow on trees/grass.  The models are spitting out sick precip.

This is at the heart of the precip, this shifts east a hair and Euro is 1-2F off it's a different story.

Robert may be on to something there... you can definitely see it picking up the dynamic cooling over the W Piedmont.

Damn, that's a big hit with the GEFS mean, Pack. 4-5" as a mean for the I-85 corridor is a big deal at this range. I'm guessing the GEFS mean SLP track is a little east of the operational with the lower totals in the mountains.

Lots of agreement with the Op, a few that are a tick west, several east that hit central NC.

Places like Rutherfordon(hello Mark), it is really really close. I could see places like South Mountain State Park and Casar cleaning up.

One could only hope Jeremy. In most cases, like this, Rutherford gets split in half. The lowest layer always has a tough time getting to the magic number. And this is always the case in this type of set-up in my area ( eastern- central Rutherford right at 978'). But I could also see places like Hollis, sunshine, polkville on up towards south mountain on hwy 10 cashing in.

I try to live by the 12 hour rule when it come to excitement these days;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFS Para finally came on board for the 18z run. 

It still looks like an eastern outlier, though.  Precip doesn't even really make it to I-85.

Either the GFS Parallel is a genius model or it needs more work before they release it because it's had some troubles so far this winter, it seems.  The 850 mb 0C isotherm runs from RDU to Rockingham during the height of precip, though the surface is baking in the low 40s.

Archived