• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
T-day eve possible SE winter storm (11/26/14)

GaWx

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert (wx south) is calling for a significant wet snow for most of NC. That type of call just seems ridiculous given what is shaping up. He is on an island by himself with a call like that.

Good god almighty...you need to read before posting. Simple use of grammar in the english language tells you that you don't have to specify mountains every time for every state he mentions...hence the use of commas.

This is about as bad as some of the TV guys in this region who has become the weather patrol all of a sudden on social media worried that the lunatic fringe is going to hurt their reputation.

He's talking about mountains (above 2500 ft) and possible token flakes of flash turnover along the immediate lee as the event ends.

"I'd be shocked if most of NC, VA and eastern WV mountains don't get a significant wet snowstorm out of this."

I believe this is what Marietta is talking about. It could have been worded differently but he's saying nc mountains.

It looks like he just forgot western before the NC in that sentence, as he has it correct in the sentence before.

My mistake, that makes more sense.

Really?!? Where do you see that, this is Roberts posts. Basically what has been reiterated over and over again on the boards tonight.

"This is a soaker of a system, that starts in the eastern Gulf. Its a hearbreaker for those of you in the heart of the Piedmont NC, VA, SC, GA region because it's just not QUITE cold enough to do the job for a major low elevation snow storm....but if we repeat this pattern later this Winter, and I think we will, then Watch Out. This is about the perfect track for a snowstorm from Atlanta/Athens, , north and east. As it stands, mostly Mountain snow, with some transition at times just east of the mountains. Look at all the Moisture with this...it is loaded."

that's gotta be a joke right ? Soaker of a system ? I probably won't get a drop of rain. So even If this were the perfect track for a snowstorm,it doesn't matter If there's no moisture ! WPC shows less than 0.10" for Atlanta.

that's gotta be a joke right ? Soaker of a system ? I probably won't get a drop of rain. So even If this were the perfect track for a snowstorm,it doesn't matter If there's no moisture ! WPC shows less than 0.10" for Atlanta.

With theoretical 20:1 ratios, you would have a theoretical 2 inches of snow and that = 100% of ATL yearly avg.!

This system is Not the perfect track for Atlanta, that is part of your problem.. It is a soaker though for some folks. Just because it's dry in your backyard doesn't mean the system is dry. That's like saying because you ate food today, world hunger doesn't exist.

This system is Not the perfect track for Atlanta, that is part of your problem.. It is a soaker though for some folks. Just because it's dry in your backyard doesn't mean the system is dry. That's like saying because you ate food today, world hunger doesn't exist.

I'm well aware its a soaker for some, but mainly for the east coast and not our area. My main issue was with Robert saying or implying that if this had been winter it would or could have been a major snowstorm for Atlanta. But with no moisture or very little how could it possibly be a big snowstorm for Atlanta ?

I'm well aware its a soaker for some, but mainly for the east coast and not our area. My main issue was with Robert saying or implying that if this had been winter it would or could have been a major snowstorm for Atlanta. But with no moisture or very little how could it possibly be a big snowstorm for Atlanta ?

I agree, but we are talking about a hypothetical storm that hasn't happened. Gawx had some interesting theorycrafting earlier in this thread I think talking about the timing Of low formations and how different cities benefit atlanta vs other SE locations. It was agreed that our area wants to see a western or central GoM start as opposed to an eastern like this one.

When the models were showing warm, warm and more warm for this system, they were very correct and even had it to cold. They were showing mid-upper 30s and the cold rain, I am currently at 46.2

This is a good point to remember going into winter. Without a solid cold air source, 3 day snowstorms will be aplenty, leaving many wondering why mild rain is falling 3 days later.

longer wavelengths in winter than November.

Actually, I think it has a decent shot at providing snow showers over alot of NC west of 77. This may be something to watch around 7AM on thanksgiving morning.

I hope so...I will be in West Jefferson!

925mb and surface temps are way too warm, checked the NAM and no on one NC outside of the mountains are cold enough for that clipper to produce snow.

Good deal.  Didn't look at the lower layers at all.  I was extrapolating the H5 look and assuming some dryness to the atmosphere to aid in cooling.  May still not be enough in the east, though, like you said.

I hope so...I will be in West Jefferson!

Good deal.  Didn't look at the lower layers at all.  I was extrapolating the H5 look and assuming some dryness to the atmosphere to aid in cooling.  May still not be enough in the east, though, like you said.

It's not even close after evaporative cooling with 925mb temps in the low 40s and surface temps similar, across all of NC. The mountains and higher elevations above 3500 feet could see snow but below that the surface layer is too warm.

Archived