joxey
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't you take one for the team*? :(

*all six of us who live where that solution rocks

You are too much.  Should someone change the title of this thread to Wednesday into Wednesday night? I think most of us know the timing, but for those who are traveling and just checking in from time to time, it might be helpful to be a little more accurate.

The strongest baroclinic forcing is on the boundary between the cold SST to the northwest and the warm mild SST to the southeast. That boundary is currently oriented from OBX to just inside the benchmark. I know that's not what most people in this region want to hear, but that's the simplified scientific explanation.

natlanti.fc.gif

So I guess everyone's giving up and it will just be a cold rain?

Snowgoose said it perfectly unless it goes vertically stacked and closes off coastal areas are rain and N&W of NYC see the seasons first substantial snowfall. 12Z EURO today if its still tucked in im writing this one off as no accumulation for me SW suffolk barring a last second miracle

Snowgoose said it perfectly unless it goes vertically stacked and closes off coastal areas are rain and N&W of NYC see the seasons first substantial snowfall. 12Z EURO today if its still tucked in im writing this one off as no accumulation for me SW suffolk barring a last second miracle

The coast has a chance with the GFS track, winds are N-NNE the entire event and although the model shows 40 degree temps dewpoints are 28-30, that could very well end up as snow, thats about the same temps it showed in the October 2011 and November 2012 events at the surface and this would likely have more dynamic precip rates...but if the Euro or UK verify with the 850 low overhead we would need to get the snow behind the system.

It's November and you have no blocking to speak of. My best advice for coastal folks today is to set your expectations low and hope for the best. We're experiencing some windshield washing today, completely normal.

No true cold air either.  it's always a thread the needle when you have to rely on dynamic cooling and a perfect track.

The coast has a chance with the GFS track, winds are N-NNE the entire event and although the model shows 40 degree temps dewpoints are 28-30, that could very well end up as snow, thats about the same temps it showed in the October 2011 and November 2012 events at the surface and this would likely have more dynamic precip rates...but if the Euro or UK verify with the 850 low overhead we would need to get the snow behind the system.

I NEVER put my eggs in a basket with backend snows, hasnt worked out very often since Xmas 02', the mother of backlash snows for me

I think those who are looking at the upper level pattern and expecting this to come well west of the BM are missing the storm that is moving into the Pac NW and is unable to amplify the downstream upper level ridge due to an upper level high to its north. This acts to force the entire long wave patttern quickly from West to East, which is why our storm is being shunted east, in a long wave trough/ridge and short wave setup that would normally result in a track much further west and perhaps even well inland. The flow over the western CONUS is actually quite progressive, and this is helping to keep the developing storm closer to the BM.

Archived