joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 15z on Wednesday the NAM says it's 40 degress at the surface in KNYC, temps then drop off after that to the low 30's but things are starting to wind down. The rest of the layers are below freezing so if you can get the stronger dynamics close enough to the coast, those surface temps won't verify.

boundary layer is way too warm for all of the coastal plain of our area

I wouldn't be worrying too much about the surface temps, 925, 850 and 700mb are below freezing, so you have room for dynamic cooling if you can get the intensity up. That's why the NAM goes from 40 at KNYC to 34 in three hours.

Even the NAM being too far east at these ranges keeps the best UVVELs east so will be hard to dynamically cool enough.

And a further west track like the Euro would bring in too much warming above the surface with the LLJ for it to work.

It's cold aloft, 850's cool to almost -4C by 15z Wednesday in the city and it's colder than that on the north shore of Nassau County and points west.

Even the NAM being too far east at these ranges keeps the best UVVELs east so will be hard to dynamically cool enough.

And a further west track like the Euro would bring in too much warming above the surface with the LLJ for it to work.

Correct way to much focus on the 850mb line even a east track like the NAM is 90 percent rain in NYC

Yeah, but the NAM is too far east so the lower levels are going to be warmer with a euro ensemble track keeping the

850 above freezing at the coast. Even if the NAM track verified, the precip would be less since it's always too juiced

so JFK would be 36 with light to moderate snow and mostly stick on grass an pavement wet.

Sometimes at 48 hours out the models over correct East, and the NAM is handling that trailing shortwave more as a kicker, which could end up being a major error.

I continue to strongly believe this is a non-event for the city / coast with inland zones possibly receiving a significant thump of snow. The western mid level ridge axis will likely be located near the CA coast which is quite a bit further west than ideal position, and argues for enhanced resistance along the SE US Coast. Furthermore, as I noted yesterday, the downstream pattern is poor and unsupportive of a benchmark or further east track. It's not that we haven't ever snowed on the coast in this regime during the winter, but the preset pattern for late November is one which makes it extremely difficult to thread the needle for significant snowfall. I've yet to read reasoning concerning a physical mechanism that would prevent a westward trend and a coastal hugger type solution. Neither the downstream nor the upstream pattern would prevent said occurrence. At this juncture, I wouldn't fall into the trap of the snowy NAM given the lead time.

e8agyc.png

I continue to strongly believe this is a non-event for the city / coast with inland zones possibly receiving a significant thump of snow. The western mid level ridge axis will likely be located near the CA coast which is quite a bit further west than ideal position, and argues for enhanced resistance along the SE US Coast. Furthermore, as I noted yesterday, the downstream pattern is poor and unsupportive of a benchmark or further east track. It's not that we haven't ever snowed on the coast in this regime during the winter, but the preset pattern for late November is one which makes it extremely difficult to thread the needle for significant snowfall. I've yet to read reasoning concerning a physical mechanism that would prevent a westward trend and a coastal hugger type solution. Neither the downstream nor the upstream pattern would prevent said occurrence. At this juncture, I wouldn't fall into the trap of the snowy NAM given the lead time.

e8agyc.png

Agreed this is a W of NYC event. I dont think this storm will end up E of BM

Archived