• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

Perhaps a met or more knowledgeable member can explain the reasoning for the minor shift east?

Not much talk about the 0z euro in this thread.  Just wondering.  Enjoying the insight and commentary, (for the most part).

DT doesn't think the 0z Euro is very different and he says it backs up his first guess.... which for NYC means mostly rain...

https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE EURO IS  SNOW  to RAIN  for NYC   and  BOSTON

I don't know about that he's forecasted big snows for i95 many times before and been right quite a bit...  He just doesn't change his line of thinking with a slight change in one model even the Euro apparently...

post-9415-0-33120200-1416818412_thumb.pn

I am  beginning to think the snow maps   ecmwf over at   WXBELL are  not very good.   Last winter alot folks  got burned by looking at their snow  maps . I wonder of it sis a marketing ploy.

for example    even though 850 temps  on the 0z  monday  ecmwf go above 0 at NYC   PVD and  BOS  the Euro snow maps over at wxbell has BOST  getting 12 to 14" of snow and NYC PHILLY BWI DCA seeing 6" .   Given how the 0C 850 isotherm goes NORTH of NYC and BOS   I dont see how wxbell snow maps make any sense. 

yet the  0Z EURO SNOW MAP....   FROM   EUROWX.com  admittedly at  0.5  resolution...   has MUCH LESS SNOW .... 1"   for BOS NYC  PHL 

post-9415-0-71889200-1416818919_thumb.pn

Upton just pulled the trigger for the  interior..

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
347 AM EST MON NOV 24 2014

...SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE FROM WEDNESDAY INTO
THANKSGIVING MORNING FOR INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON
VALLEY...SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...

NJZ002-004-103-105-NYZ067>070-241700-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0006.141126T1200Z-141127T1200Z/
WESTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN PASSAIC-WESTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-
ORANGE-PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND
NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES.

* TIMING...A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW WEDNESDAY MORNING...SHOULD
CHANGE TO ALL SNOW WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THEN CONTINUE WELL INTO
WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...THE SNOWFALL WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT HOLIDAY
TRAVEL...MAKING DRIVING DANGEROUS AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

$

NAM still on the east side of things. EURO definitely jumped east from 12z. CMC and GFS look fantastic for snow. How could anyone be forecasting all rain for the big cities? 

Well that Euro map posted above shows mostly rain for the cities... so I guess it didn't really shift east that much..

because you are a weenie. I Just showed actual DATA   from  the 0z  EURO   that clearly  does NOT  support   ALL SNOW  for NYC
 and you are  saying   that    to   you it   " loosk east '      so what the  model is actually showing is meaningless.

really?  good Luck with that .   and  just to be   clear  here in central VA  the GFS   POUNDS me with snow .
I  would LOVE  the GFS  to be correct.  

NAM still on the east side of things. EURO definitely jumped east from 12z. CMC and GFS look fantastic for snow. How could anyone be forecasting all rain for the big cities? 

YUPPERS inland   good 

Upton just pulled the trigger for the  interior..

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

...SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE FROM WEDNESDAY INTO
THANKSGIVING MORNING FOR INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON
VALLEY...SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...

NJZ002-004-103-105-NYZ067>070-241700-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0006.141126T1200Z-141127T1200Z/
WESTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN PASSAIC-WESTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-
ORANGE-PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND
NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES.

* TIMING...A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW WEDNESDAY MORNING...SHOULD
CHANGE TO ALL SNOW WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THEN CONTINUE WELL INTO
WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...THE SNOWFALL WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT HOLIDAY
TRAVEL...MAKING DRIVING DANGEROUS AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

$

CORRECT
 now maybe I  will be 1000000% wrong
maybe the   0z euro is 1000% wrong

But I  am NOT making  this  up     the 0z    euro does show  alot of rain for NYC  PVD   BOS
 doesnt mean I will be right  but I aint a  waminsta

Well that Euro map posted above shows mostly rain for the cities... so I guess it didn't really shift east that much..

There are no far 'western' solutions remaining..clustering around a near benchmark low location, but system looks robust enough to throw plenty of precipitation for all...

Both the UK & Euro at our latitude are without a doubt inside the benchmark. Its also not a coincidence that both also give the coast alot of precip in the form of liquid instead of frozen like the GFS does. 

because you are a weenie. I Just showed actual DATA   from  the 0z  EURO   that clearly  does NOT  support   ALL SNOW  for NYC

and you are  saying   that    to   you it   " loosk east '      so what the  model is actually showing is meaningless.

really?  good Luck with that .   and  just to be   clear  here in central VA  the GFS   POUNDS me with snow .

I  would LOVE  the GFS  to be correct.  

You are so lost. What are you talking about? When did i say the euro supported all snow for the big cities? It jumped east from 12z and every model has atleast a light to moderate snow event for NYC and NJ. Period. Good luck with that horrible forecast

DUDE   you did the  exact same thing  to me...You out right  LIED    what i was   / am forecasting.  You said

"NAM still on the east side of things. EURO definitely jumped east from 12z. CMC and GFS look fantastic for snow. How could anyone be forecasting all rain for the big cities? "

yet the post I made  above that said    SNOW TO RAIN for NYC... so I did NOT and have not   forecasted all rain.     

If you want to be treated   with respect stop    distorting thigs

You are so lost. What are you talking about? When did i say the euro supported all snow for the big cities? It jumped east from 12z and every model has atleast a light to moderate snow event for NYC and NJ. Period. Good luck with that horrible forecast

DUDE   you did the  exact same thing  to me...You out right  LIED    what i was   / am forecasting.  You said

"NAM still on the east side of things. EURO definitely jumped east from 12z. CMC and GFS look fantastic for snow. How could anyone be forecasting all rain for the big cities? "

yet the post I made  above that said    SNOW TO RAIN for NYC... so I did NOT and have not   forecasted all rain.     

If you want to be treated   with respect stop    distorting thigs

Lmao. Someone posted that you were forecasting mostly rain for NYC after the 00zs. But most of the models tonight give nyc a moderate event and even the euro came in less amplified with a further east solution. 

Lmao. Someone posted that you were forecasting mostly rain for NYC after the 00zs. But most of the models tonight give nyc a moderate event and even the euro came in less amplified with a further east solution. 

If the euro is to be believed... that low is going to need to be a good 75-100 miles more east for a good snow in NYC and PHL...

NYC would definitely stay all snow on this track. Low looks to be about 50 miles east of 0z.

Yeah.  I was doing frame by frame comparisons and it's more the way it scoots.  Looking closer, if you look at hour 60, there's a feature in the midwest that may act a bit like a kicker and kind of makes it scoot more NE than it did at 0z.  I think bluewave was discussing this feature. I'll be watching on future runs.  I'm reading the GFS Para came around too, but i don't have access.

Archived