Newest Member
    CHSVol
Possible NYC snow Wed Night or Thursday

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z KNYC 850s  hr 66  - 2  hr 72 - 2 BL hr 66 34 hr 72 34  Center 992 

12z KNYC 850`s hr  54 - 3* hr 60 - 4* BL 34 for  both .  Center 998 .

Its a tad E of 0z .  its precip shield at 12z  is actually stronger and further west than at 0z 

Borderline areas are going to like this run. I am not saying Jersey shore/LI... but areas immeditely by the NYC suburbs that are a little n/w will like this run.

Yeppers.  I'm riding this one out at the in-laws just east of Westwood, NJ and am pretty stoked.  I think a warning level snowfall is more likely than not at this point for them.

Yeppers.  I'm riding this one out at the in-laws just east of Westwood, NJ and am pretty stoked.  I think a warning level snowfall is more likely than not at this point for them.

Enjoy! I get the honors of traveling Wednesday late morning from Morristown NJ to Poughkeepsie to the inlaws... i dont know how I will make it there to be honest.

It really doesn't mean anything beyond this week

Statistically no but it'll calm weenie fears especially during the upcoming mild stretch starting this weekend. Things could get rough in here when we get highs in the 60s multiple times in the first half of December.

This is all assuming things go according to the 12z Euro.

These BLs and 850`s are very uniform from LGA West  Its Minus 4 in the LHV and 32  and Minus 3 and 34 at 54 in and around the city .

At 60 its Minus 4 in the LHV Minus 3 at KNYC  the BL is 31 in the LHV and 33 in and around the city . 

There is no real warm punch of air west of the NS boarder and even there at hour 60 850`s collapse all the way to the NS boarder with temps in the mid 30`s 

At 1.2 inches of liquid at 5 to 1 - KNYC could pull off a warning type event . 

To get 8:1 ratios you're going to want 850's to be colder. They hover around -0C to -2C on the coastal plain for most of the storm.

Does someone have that table handy which shows what 850mb temps are best for dendrite growth? I believe -4C to -8C is optimal

Models have been cooling the upper levels with this storm the past couple of runs. Barring a last minute jog westward, I don't think we're done cooling off either. I've seen many times the global models struggle with upper air temps. It'll be mighty interesting once we get into the short term models range. :snowman:

It really doesn't mean anything beyond this week

I dunno, the fact that this storm is occurring in the middle of the week might mean the weekend rule is on the fritz this season, which would naturally imply lower snowfall overall. Combine that with the fact that it's still November and you have some bad juju for the remainder of the season (until President's Day, which has its own good luck and can easily reverse an erstwhile curse).

:whistle:

Archived