• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal

Coach McGuirk

Disagree.  Sun-angle in late Nov is far different than March.  I'll take my chances with a border-line event now far more than I would in March.

hmm ok good point about the angle I figured the angle in nov wouldn't be all that much of a difference then in late march, but I can see how it would be  different

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-8 final call imby

Hmmm...you didn't specify what units. 

I wonder if with it being a busy holiday weekend if that will  change the warning criteria?? so lesser snow amounts may  call for a warning because its a holiday weekend

No, warning criteria will stay the same.  I'm sure they'll just phrase the text of whatever watch/warning/advisory is issued to describe the apocalyptic travel impacts. 

I have to slow down or I will burn myself out which I did last year on almost every event....

Obligatory storm commentary - I'm sticking with my algorithm from last night which gives me like 2.2"

Average of (3/16/07+12/5/03+12/5/09+3/6/13+12/8/13+12/10/13+3/25/14+10/29/11) x 1.75 = total.

zwyts 97 Bob Chill 42 C.A.P.E. 37 yoda 28 mitchnick 28 WxUSAF 28 Highzenberg 25 BTRWx 23 EasternUSWX 17 Ian 16 nj2va 15 Amped 14 PhineasC 13 winter_warlock 13

Ok, so where am I in that list...lol.

A couple of days ago I said, jokingly, that I'd take P003. It's remarkable how similar the latest gfs is to that earlier ens member

hmm ok good point about the angle I figured the angle in nov wouldn't be all that much of a difference then in late march, but I can see how it would be different

I could do the math, but for a quick response I'd say the sun angle on last years St Paddy snow would be about 20 degrees higher than it will be Wednesday.

I could do the math, but for a quick response I'd say the sun angle on last years St Paddy snow would be about 20 degrees higher than it will be Wednesday.

49.9 degrees above the horizon in DC on March 17 at solar noon. 30.1 degrees above at solar noon on Wednesday. Right on with that 20 degrees.

Not to get too weenie, but if people recall on 3/6/13 there was no high pressure, and there was a surface low to our west until the coastal took over...I think models *may* be underestimating the high pressure and/or the impact on surface temps...they all now have a broad 1024mb+ high directly to our north centered over PA in place when the storm starts....so it is a bit of a misconception that this storm has to create its own cold air...

Not really.... when everyone is below freezing, then elevation matters much less.

Honestly, I'm a bit confused by the elevation argument with this particular storm. Obviously NW of the cities will be colder, but below freezing is below freezing. If it's snowing at BWI at 31F, and snowing in Westminster at 28F, they're both going to accumulate.

Maybe with this storm BWI would be something like 33F, while Westminster is 31F. Westminster would obviously have an easier time with sticking, but BWI could still get accumulation.

Honestly, I'm a bit confused by the elevation argument with this particular storm. Obviously NW of the cities will be colder, but below freezing is below freezing. If it's snowing at BWI at 31F, and snowing in Westminster at 28F, they're both going to accumulate.

Maybe with this storm BWI would be something like 33F, while Westminster is 31F. Westminster would obviously have an easier time with sticking, but BWI could still get accumulation.

The ground temp still matters.... if it's 31°F in BWI then it's possible that not all surfaces are cold enough for snow to accumulate well, especially if the previous few days were very warm. But when it's 28°F, snow generally accumulates without any trouble.

And in any case, temps will be falling so the higher elevations/colder burbs will reach freezing sooner.

Not to get too weenie, but if people recall on 3/6/13 there was no high pressure, and there was a surface low to our west until the coastal took over...I think models *may* be underestimating the high pressure and/or the impact on surface temps...they all now have a broad 1024mb+ high directly to our north centered over PA in place when the storm starts....so it is a bit of a misconception that this storm has to create its own cold air...

The high could potentially trend stronger.

That's interesting and I didn't even bother to look at placement of any High pressures to our north.  We've seen countless borderline storms bust here due to the models being a degree or two too cold...though we had a 'hostile' sun angle to deal with in most of those storms, too.  So I'm used to thinking along those lines and figuring we may end up a degree or two warmer than modeled...

Keeping the QPF juiced will also be important for us so we get high rates.  I'll be paying attention to the placement and strength of the high on future runs now.  

That's interesting and I didn't even bother to look at placement of any High pressures to our north.  We've seen countless borderline storms bust here due to the models being a degree or two too cold...though we had a 'hostile' sun angle to deal with in most of those storms, too.  So I'm used to thinking along those lines and figuring we may end up a degree or two warmer than modeled...

Keeping the QPF juiced will also be important for us so we get high rates.  I'll be paying attention to the placement and strength of the high on future runs now.  

You always have to look for the placement and strength of the high. I think a lot of forecast busts are because the lack of a high or under estimating the strength of the high.

Archived