12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2014-15 Short Term Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll post some of these here. I've had almost 6" of snow today with the arctic front/lake enhanced snows. The snowfall rates just before noon were some of the heaviest I've ever experienced. The visibility had dropped down to a couple hundred feet.

Even with the bright white of the snow, it almost felt like nightfall with these bands:

post-599-0-52547600-1423950338_thumb.png

post-599-0-99328800-1423950349_thumb.png

post-599-0-97028000-1423950360_thumb.png

Been searching to find any corroboration for that funnel cloud at FWA (would the formation process be similar to cold air funnels at other times of year?) but haven't found anything.  IWX hasn't acknowledged it via LSR either.

Hoosier, per NWSChat, the met on duty stated that those were false reports and that the observer has sent corrections. Actually, there was the tornado report and at least 6 funnel observations sent between 1900 and 2100. Not sure what the observer was doing wrong, but he (she) was screwing something up!

Hoosier, per NWSChat, the met on duty stated that those were false reports and that the observer has sent corrections. Actually, there was the tornado report and at least 6 funnel observations sent between 1900 and 2100. Not sure what the observer was doing wrong, but he (she) was screwing something up!

Might get themselves in a lot of trouble. A lot of stuff happens in order when an ob like that gets transmitted..

Might get themselves in a lot of trouble. A lot of stuff happens in order when an ob like that gets transmitted..

Yeah you can't exactly send a funnel cloud ob by accident. There is a certain key sequence to bring it up on ASOS and it prompts you whether or not you want to transmit the ob. Just like sending out a SPECI early.

We did pick up another dusting of 0.2" overnight (so the total overnight snowfall was 0.4" imby & 0.5" at dtw...depth still around a dense foot) but on my drive to Farmington Hills it was evident where the heavy squall hit last nite from snow on the trees, the snowbanks that were dirty now all white, etc. We shall see what the convection brings ahead of the cold front.

We did pick up another dusting of 0.2" overnight (so the total overnight snowfall was 0.4" imby & 0.5" at dtw...depth still around a dense foot) but on my drive to Farmington Hills it was evident where the heavy squall hit last nite from snow on the trees, the snowbanks that were dirty now all white, etc. We shall see what the convection brings ahead of the cold front.

Yeah we ended up with almost 3 inches in Livonia

Models have really juiced up tomorrow/tomorrow night's clipper.  Even the Euro lays down close to 0.50" precip in the main band.  With relatively decent ratios a band of warning criteria snows is possible over parts of Iowa.  Central into southeast Iowa looking like the ones who may cash in on the most, but there has been an eastward trend the past few model cycles.  Hawkeye is looking good for at least 4-6", with a good chance of more than that considering decent LSRs and being so close to the max band.  Even here near the QC we may be in for 2-4" of fluff.

12z NAM, RGEM, and GFS precip totals for this upcoming clipper.

GFS driest of the three in Iowa/northern MO, RGEM farthest east with heavier totals. Regardless, someone is going to get a nice snowfall out of this one.  

12z NAM 60 hour total QPF

12z RGEM 48 hour total QPF

12z GFS 60 hour total QPF

Looks like this thing will really poop out after hitting Iowa.  It's too bad it couldn't continue the solid snow band across the lower lakes region.

yea it's crazy how it literally disappears, (according to the ggem/ukie), once it hits the IL/IN border.  OTOH, the euro weakens it but keeps it struggling thru Ohio.   I wonder what causes that...if it has anything to do with the storm on the eastcoast

Archived