• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2014-15 Short Term Discussion

Chicago Storm

My melted down rain gauge catch was 0.41, which means the ratio was garbage again.  Because of the wind, 0.41 is probably low, too.  The NWS keeps predicing ratios like 12, 15, 18, or even 20 to 1 for these cold storms, but it NEVER pans out.

We definitely got a little more real fluffy snow this evening after I brought the gauge in and took a final measurement, so I'll likely have to add a bit.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My melted down rain gauge catch was 0.41, which means the ratio was garbage again.  Because of the wind, 0.41 is probably low, too.  The NWS keeps predicing ratios like 12, 15, 18, or even 20 to 1 for these cold storms, but it NEVER pans out.

We definitely got a little more real fluffy snow this evening after I brought the gauge in and took a final measurement, so I'll likely have to add a bit.

Yeah forecasting LSRs is pretty tough.  I was thinking 15:1 shouldn't be a problem, even with potential for smaller flakes between better bands.  I'm guessing LSRs here were right around 10:1 since flake size was pretty crappy even in the better bands.  On the plus side the snow is fairly dense, and shouldn't settle at all over the next several days.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the midnight shift issues a Lake Effect Snow Advisory for Cook and NW Indiana given how impressive the snow bands have already been. Thermodynamics will improve overnight and 00z NAM and our local WRF-ARW only slowly pivot the low level lift and convergence eastward into the late morning and afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be too surprised if the midnight shift issues a Lake Effect Snow Advisory for Cook and NW Indiana given how impressive the snow bands have already been. Thermodynamics will improve overnight and 00z NAM and our local WRF-ARW only slowly pivot the low level lift and convergence eastward into the late morning and afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G900V

Honestly I've been thinking advisory amounts for the lakeshore counties from the system/lake enhanced snow (less sure about the lake snow by itself).  It's kinda muddled given the system snow and a lake effect snow advisory probably wouldn't have been the best headline to go with for tonight. 

Honestly I've been thinking advisory amounts for the lakeshore counties from the system/lake enhanced snow (less sure about the lake snow by itself).  It's kinda muddled given the system snow and a lake effect snow advisory probably wouldn't have been the best headline to go with for tonight. 

Alekville is the new Madison.   :snowing:

Honestly I've been thinking advisory amounts for the lakeshore counties from the system/lake enhanced snow (less sure about the lake snow by itself). It's kinda muddled given the system snow and a lake effect snow advisory probably wouldn't have been the best headline to go with for tonight.

I think had the decision been made earlier, WWA would have been way to go. But since no headline was put out and things are transitioning to pure lake effect, that was my main reasoning, and it seems based off the latest AFD, mid shift is leaning that way.

LOT pulled the trigger on a lake effect snow advisory for Cook county

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL  1236 AM CST THU FEB 26 2015     ..LAKE EFFECT SNOW CONTINUING INTO THE MORNING COMMUTE    ILZ014-261445-  /O.NEW.KLOT.LE.Y.0001.150226T0636Z-150226T1800Z/  COOK-  INCLUDING THE CITY OF...CHICAGO  1236 AM CST THU FEB 26 2015     ..LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TODAY    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT  SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TODAY.     * TIMING...MODERATE TO BRIEFLY HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW CONTINUING    THROUGH MID TO LATE MORNING BEFORE TAPERING.    * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TO THREE    INCHES ON TOP OF THE TWO TO THREE INCHES THAT FELL WEDNESDAY    EVENING. ACCUMULATIONS WILL LIKELY VARY SIGNIFICANTLY GIVEN THE    LAKE EFFECT NATURE OF THE SNOW.    * IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS AND AT TIMES SHARPLY REDUCED    VISIBILITY WILL LEAD TO DIFFICULT AND POSSIBLY TREACHEROUS TRAVEL    DURING THE MORNING COMMUTE.    * OTHER IMPACTS...WINDS GUSTING TO 20 TO 25 MPH...AT TIMES NEAR    THE LAKE SHORE UP TO 35 MPH...WILL CAUSE SOME BLOWING SNOW IN    EXPOSED PLACES.  

5.1" at ORD as of 6:00am. Nice.

0600 AM SNOW OHARE AIRPORT 41.98N 87.90W

02/26/2015 M5.1 INCH COOK IL OFFICIAL NWS OBS

STORM TOTAL THUS FAR.

Haven't been out here to measure, but one of the local CoCoRaHS observers from LAF reported 1.6" as of 7:00am. Still snowing...

Some decent totals from the DVN CWA.

0541 AM HEAVY SNOW CARTHAGE 40.41N 91.14W

02/26/2015 M6.3 INCH HANCOCK IL PUBLIC

0501 AM HEAVY SNOW 5 NW KEOSAUQUA 40.79N 92.02W

02/26/2015 M6.0 INCH VAN BUREN IA TRAINED SPOTTER

0422 AM HEAVY SNOW 1 WSW AMANA 41.80N 91.88W

02/26/2015 M7.0 INCH IOWA IA TRAINED SPOTTER

0220 AM HEAVY SNOW N CEDAR RAPIDS 41.98N 91.67W

02/26/2015 M6.0 INCH LINN IA TRAINED SPOTTER

Archived