Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 2014-15 Short Term Discussion

Chicago Storm

BTW, so much for the mostly cloudy forecast today... :lmao:

Models, as typical, completely underestimated the push of dry air. Not a cloud to be found across most of the state.

It looks like it should be nice outside today... in actuality, it's a very different story.

Oh well, at least the inside of the car will be warm for the evening rush.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as i suspected the models are beefing up qpf tonight and tomorrow. Gfs still weak but nam and gem show 0.15-0.20". Thinking 1-3" is easily attainable and with the strong winds we should see some good blowing and drifting. Normally not a fan but with the deep glacier in place that snow cant be touched so no worries about any grass showing :lol: tomorrow may be an absolute brutal, tundra winter day.

-12F this morning at 5:30 AM when I left for work and when I got to Novi and it was 1F there.

I drive past dtw on the south side of the airport (its rural) and the temp on my car went from -2 to -9 then back to -2 once I got onto 275. It was 2 by the time I got to canton. Really weird. Think dtw officially got to -1 though that weird patch of cold was still TECHNICALLY dtw property. is there a thing as the winter version of a heat burst?

I drive past dtw on the south side of the airport (its rural) and the temp on my car went from -2 to -9 then back to -2 once I got onto 275. It was 2 by the time I got to canton. Really weird. Think dtw officially got to -1 though that weird patch of cold was still TECHNICALLY dtw property. is there a thing as the winter version of a heat burst?

I have noticed this as well, just east of the Airport, there is always colder temps there right along the Romulus/Taylor border. I haven't looked at the topography, but I would guess there is a subtle dip in that area allowing for the colder air to pool.

I went to check the elevation in that area...I-275 and Eureka RD On-ramp/Exit-ramp Elevation is 644 feet. Half mile more to the west on Huron River Drive from Grant to Eureka its consistently at around 664 feet. At the South entrance of DTW at John Dingle, elevation is at 630 feet. Everything from I-94 to Pennsylvania on Middlebelt is at consistent 628 feet. My guess it probably does pool up just East of 275 and It's extremely wide open in that spot 

I went to check the elevation in that area...I-275 and Eureka RD On-ramp/Exit-ramp Elevation is 644 feet. Half mile more to the west on Huron River Drive from Grant to Eureka its consistently at around 664 feet. At the South entrance of DTW at John Dingle, elevation is at 630 feet. Everything from I-94 to Pennsylvania on Middlebelt is at consistent 628 feet. My guess it probably does pool up just East of 275 and It's extremely wide open in that spot 

good work!

Looks like the snow comes in two rounds....this evening, a bit of a lull overnight, then a good burst tomorrow morning (may still snow during the lull of course, just looks less organized).

This winter couldn't end soon enough, whiffed to the north from the SB/GHD 2 blizzard, and now a whiff to the south. Season snowfall total stands at 10.2" for the season, as for temps we may finish near normal or slightly above, depending on how cold February ends.

Oh well, memories of last winter are still stuck in my head!

Dumping here. Getting ready to plow in Oxford. Snow totals approaching 3"

This is super fluff. Easily the best ratios of.winter - looks like lake effect type stuff. At 7am DTW was at 2.2"...this will easily be a 3+ inch snow thanks to ratios, and the snowpack looks great. Once the front passes....will be brutal!

Front looks like the real deal on radar. Love this kinda event.

The snow has stopped falling and there is an eerie calm before the front. We had a total of about 2.8" of Lake Superior-stye snow over 15 hours although its so fluffy the actual depth on the pavement is compacted closer to 2-2.5". Its a deep winter paradise outside and record cold is about to come roaring in.

Wow it is just dead calm outside (it was somewhat breezy last night, not too bad, but a steady light wind). The snow is deep, the sky is gray, and there is a stray flake floating around, but it looks calm as can be. I see people outside shoveling, cleaning their cars off, etc...no idea what is lurking in 15 mins or so. Its like when you hear people say there is a calm before a tornado lol

This winter couldn't end soon enough, whiffed to the north from the SB/GHD 2 blizzard, and now a whiff to the south. Season snowfall total stands at 10.2" for the season, as for temps we may finish near normal or slightly above, depending on how cold February ends.

Oh well, memories of last winter are still stuck in my head!

Yep its a shame (7.3" here total) if we're not not screwed by the north shift then it's the south shift lol

Multiple multi-car wrecks on I 69 in Huntington County and on state highways. Numerous periods of white-out conditions, with estimated 2" of snow down (haven't bothered going out to measure). Meanwhile...

FORT WAYNE,IN (FWA) ASOS reports Tornado KFWA 141909Z 32019G30KT 1/4SM FC BLSN BKN017 BKN026 OVC036 M11/M14 A2991

FORT WAYNE,IN (FWA) ASOS reports Funnel KFWA 141941Z 34025G31KT 1/4SM BLSN VV011 M12/M14 A2994 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 FUNNEL CLOUD E15 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 T11171139

Meanwhile...

FORT WAYNE,IN (FWA) ASOS reports Tornado KFWA 141909Z 32019G30KT 1/4SM FC BLSN BKN017 BKN026 OVC036 M11/M14 A2991

FORT WAYNE,IN (FWA) ASOS reports Funnel KFWA 141941Z 34025G31KT 1/4SM BLSN VV011 M12/M14 A2994 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B04 5 FUNNEL CLOUD E15 AO2 PK WND 32041/1855 T11171139

Interesting

Multiple multi-car wrecks on I 69 in Huntington County and on state highways. Numerous periods of white-out conditions, with estimated 2" of snow down (haven't bothered going out to measure). Meanwhile...

What the heck?

Archived