• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 Capital Weather Gang Winter Outlook

Deck Pic

To echo pretty much everyone else here...good work, and a nice forecast!  Have to like the chances with the temperature forecast you all have, especially the bullish -3 for January and mentioning the expectation of more consistent (if not as strong) cold compared to last year.  Snow is always a tough beast to pin down around here, so going "slightly above" normal sounds pretty darned good.  I also appreciated how you pointed out the stark difference between the median snow vs. normal in this area. 

Hope it pans out, with as much snow as we can get, of course! ;)   And hope for lots of :o  :o  :o  after seeing Euro runs on various storms!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To echo pretty much everyone else here...good work, and a nice forecast!  Have to like the chances with the temperature forecast you all have, especially the bullish -3 for January and mentioning the expectation of more consistent (if not as strong) cold compared to last year.  Snow is always a tough beast to pin down around here, so going "slightly above" normal sounds pretty darned good.  I also appreciated how you pointed out the stark difference between the median snow vs. normal in this area. 

Hope it pans out, with as much snow as we can get, of course! ;)   And hope for lots of :o  :o  :o  after seeing Euro runs on various storms!

I agree, and the article was full of good, clear explanations. Well done on the outlook and as many have said, well written.

Agree with the temperatures and snow values. I am less convinced than you that we will not have shots of extremely cold air. My only, yet severe, criticism is the business about "this is a low confidence forecast" I would suggest that in reality anyone having an ability to do something like a long range outlook MUST have confidence in it or they really would never have been able to assemble what is needed in order to even  make such forecast.

Agree with the temperatures and snow values. I am less convinced than you that we will not have shots of extremely cold air. My only, yet severe, criticism is the business about "this is a low confidence forecast" I would suggest that in reality anyone having an ability to do something like a long range outlook MUST have confidence in it or they really would never have been able to assemble what is needed in order to even  make such forecast.

I think we will see a couple very intense arctic shots. The majority of analogs packages that most are using point towards some extreme cold days.

I think we will see a couple very intense arctic shots. The majority of analogs packages that most are using point towards some extreme cold days.

I think I could have done a better job explaining the cold......Certainly in predicting a -1 to -2 winter, I expect some decent cold shots...there is no other way to get there....But I don't expect 3 separate cold shots to produce -20 departures - Perhaps we have one cold outbreak that produces those kind of departures - nor do I expect to have 33 50+ degree days.....I think 15-20...

I think I could have done a better job explaining the cold......Certainly in predicting a -1 to -2 winter, I expect some decent cold shots...there is no other way to get there....But I don't expect 3 separate cold shots to produce -20 departures - Perhaps we have one cold outbreak that produces those kind of departures - nor do I expect to have 33 50+ degree days.....I think 15-20...

That's a nice way to quantify it.  I think we will have three -15 to -20 shots which isn't exactly what you said anyway.

One afternoon where high is not 20+ in afternoon.  15-20 seems right  for 50+, mostly in Dec.

Well done.... I was particularly impressed that you think this winter will average as cold as last year. Looking forward to it.

Snow totals look very reasonable for a weak Nino with favorable AO/NAO.

On a (somewhat) side note, it's interesting that last winter could well have ended up even colder if it weren't for the nearly June-like temperatures the second part of December!  That's a slight exaggeration and simplifying a bit much of course, but you get the idea.

On a (somewhat) side note, it's interesting that last winter could well have ended up even colder if it weren't for the nearly June-like temperatures the second part of December! That's a slight exaggeration and simplifying a bit much of course, but you get the idea.

No it really did feel like June. In fact if you really look back, the first day of summer didn't feel very different from the first day of winter.

I doubt this winter matches last year's cold except for the immediate DC metro (inside the beltway), where the anomalies weren't as impressive as elsewhere.

Nice write-up. And as others have said, very easy to understand. In the section where you're discussing El Nino and how a stronger El Nino could impact your snowfall forecast I didn't read anything (may have glanced over it) discussing specifics related to the timing of El Nino. If El Nino were to be stronger than you're anticipating, is there a timeframe you'd expect this to happen?

Nice write-up. And as others have said, very easy to understand. In the section where you're discussing El Nino and how a stronger El Nino could impact your snowfall forecast I didn't read anything (may have glanced over it) discussing specifics related to the timing of El Nino. If El Nino were to be stronger than you're anticipating, is there a timeframe you'd expect this to happen?

....It is spiking pretty nicely right now, so we will have to see what happens...but if it is going to go moderate, I think we will have an idea pretty soon whether we have a chance, and then it will take longer to see if we can maintain....

Thanks for the explanation. It's nice to read a write-up that has some science behind it and not just.....hey, I think it's going to be cold and snowy.....just because. 

....It is spiking pretty nicely right now, so we will have to see what happens...but if it is going to go moderate, I think we will have an idea pretty soon whether we have a chance, and then it will take longer to see if we can maintain....

not sure....haven't heard....I am presenting to DC Council tomorrow and then at the Post on Monday

WTOP was teasing a story this morning about how "Siberian snowfall means cold weather for DC" or something and I thought it might be a lead-in for your interview. 

On a (somewhat) side note, it's interesting that last winter could well have ended up even colder if it weren't for the nearly June-like temperatures the second part of December!  That's a slight exaggeration and simplifying a bit much of course, but you get the idea.

yes, I will always think of that winter as cold, periodic warmup notwithstanding.  I feel the same way about 95/96 even though that one had some memorable thaws even after these many years.

yes, I will always think of that winter as cold, periodic warmup notwithstanding.  I feel the same way about 95/96 even though that one had some memorable thaws even after these many years.

I don't keep daily records but if I had to guess our area was probably only between +1 and +2 last December. After the storm on December 8th we stayed pretty chilly the next 10 days or so. I didn't look it up but I would assume BWI came in at +3-+4. So I definitely will remember last winter as a cold one.

I don't keep daily records but if I had to guess our area was probably only between +1 and +2 last December. After the storm on December 8th we stayed pretty chilly the next 10 days or so. I didn't look it up but I would assume BWI came in at +3-+4. So I definitely will remember last winter as a cold one.

Well there you go making me check my internal records.  Here's what I have:

Nov -2.0

Dec +2.5

Jan - 4.3

Feb -1.7

Mar -5.0

So definitely cold.

Well there you go making me check my internal records.  Here's what I have:

Nov -2.0

Dec +2.5

Jan - 4.3

Feb -1.7

Mar -5.0

So definitely cold.

Yeah. Your records says it all. Very snowy December for an overall positive month but not a torch by any means. Look how close it was from a wire to wire negative departure cold season.

Yeah. Your records says it all. Very snowy December for an overall positive month but not a torch by any means. Look how close it was from a wire to wire negative departure cold season.

Incredible snowfall for a December with that kind of plus departure.... I recorded 15.75 inches that  month and that was the Lowest amount in the Dec-Mar period.

Monthly departures are generally the way we record the winter. But it doesn't tell the whole story of how cold those cold snaps were last winter. At Martinsburg, these were the departures during the coldest air masses:

Jan. 3-9: -11.9

Jan 21-30: -14.9

Feb 6-13: -7.0

Feb 25- Mar 7: -11.9

Mar 23-27: -14.2

I may never again see the monthly mean temp for January colder at my local airport than at Anchorage, AK.

• 1 month later...

Archived