• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

Is it just me or is the NOAA satellite not updating? It's been stuck on October 20.

Since at least Tuesday, some satellite data – an important input to weather prediction models – has stopped flowing into the National Weather Service due to an apparent network outage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/10/22/weather-service-stops-receiving-satellite-data-issues-warning-about-forecast-reliability/?hpid=z5

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z gfs says Tuesday is warmish but that's it....then the bottom drops out. Bob...your warm November start might be dying a slow death....or maybe it's the satellite?

Anyhow...02 the warm kept showing up then would never come....that's my analog...final forecast

I don't know if it's coincidence or not but the both the GEFS and Euro ens ditched the cold idea during the first week in Nov at the same time the satellite data went AWOL. They both have looked warm for several runs now but I'm not sure how much stock to put into it.

I don't really either.  NWS says the model forecasts aren't bunk, but I think there should be less reliability inherently.  Odd that the GEFS has trended warmer while the Op has trended colder.  

I don't really either. NWS says the model forecasts aren't bunk, but I think there should be less reliability inherently. Odd that the GEFS has trended warmer while the Op has trended colder.

I wonder if the lack of data compounds the inherent margin of error as you go out in time. The euro uses our satellite data as well. It just seemed odd how both globals flipped at the same time. Usually when that happens I tend to buy in because consensus usually prevails. Good thing it isn't winter. lol

I wonder if the lack of data compounds the inherent margin of error as you go out in time. The euro uses our satellite data as well. It just seemed odd how both globals flipped at the same time. Usually when that happens I tend to buy in because consensus usually prevails. Good thing it isn't winter. lol

Supposedly if there is a major impact it will grow with time. Though ECMWF released a statement saying it doesn't really impact the Euro. 

Archived