amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Ian. Thanks for posting that. IMO- any missing data is bad for long range ensemble runs. Even when everything is working fine it's awful tough to be accurate d10+. If there is another flip from whatever is showing once the data comes back online then the question will be answered by default.

My wag is we continue the pattern of short lived BN and more persistent AN for the foreseeable future. Series of troughs entering the west coast rarely = cold here. We'll need a ridge to build behind one of these systems before we can expect to knock out the first freeze unless something sneaky mixes in the flow.

Too northern stream dominated.  Bad vort pass.  I'm out.

Also, that would be some rainy and cold trick-or-treating.  First freeze on the 1st or 2nd.  

I was making a pretty weak attempt at saying the PV is back....lol. Similar progression to last year with big cold building in far nw canada getting dragged down by a hideous vortex. 

The GFS shows the pattern setting up pre-truncation so it could be right but man, it's way different than the euro with the ridge axis location. Euro puts the ridge axis dead center of the conus during the same time. Without that big western ridge we aren't getting anything like what the gfs is advertising. 

If the GFS scores the coup then maybe they should stop ingesting satellite data into it. 

I was making a pretty weak attempt at saying the PV is back....lol. Similar progression to last year with big cold building in far nw canada getting dragged down by a hideous vortex. 

The GFS shows the pattern setting up pre-truncation so it could be right but man, it's way different than the euro with the ridge axis location. Euro puts the ridge axis dead center of the conus during the same time. Without that big western ridge we aren't getting anything like what the gfs is advertising. 

If the GFS scores the coup then maybe they should stop ingesting satellite data into it. 

Lol.

Euro jumped on the GFS train. Clears the front Halloween. Looks like chilly trick or treating verbatim. Freeze for IAD/BWI and probably RIC on Sun the 2nd. Long ways out but at least we're starting to see some consensus on the overall h5 pattern.

Always nice to see the EURO side with the GFS. Maybe a freeze on the 1st and the 2nd?

Always nice to see the EURO side with the GFS. Maybe a freeze on the 1st and the 2nd?

Seems like the best shot so far. Depends on timing of the front (assuming there is one.lol). I would guess the second night after so on the euro it would be Sun morning.

Here's the raw for Sun morning. 

post-2035-0-73457400-1414091205_thumb.gi

Seems like the best shot so far. Depends on timing of the front (assuming there is one.lol). I would guess the second night after so on the euro it would be Sun morning.

Here's the raw for Sun morning. 

attachicon.gifeuroraw.GIF

If my EURO warm bias theory is correct, it is essentially showing mid-20s where there are upper-20s on the map.

If my EURO warm bias theory is correct, it is essentially showing mid-20s where there are upper-20s on the map.

I wouldn't worry much about raw temps at d10. bias or not it's not worth dissecting. 

The more promising thing is that the 12z GFS/GEFS/Euro are all lock step in spiking a ridge out west and dropping a cold airmass out of Canada from the northern plains right into our area. They all look almost identical. We'll see if 12z euro ens follow suit. I think they will. 

That kind of pattern in early Nov will almost certainly get IAD below  freezing and probably BWI. It's a pretty deep trough so maybe RIC as well. DCA may struggle to get below 40. LOL

I wouldn't worry much about raw temps at d10. bias or not it's not worth dissecting. 

The more promising thing is that the 12z GFS/GEFS/Euro are all lock step in spiking a ridge out west and dropping a cold airmass out of Canada from the northern plains right into our area. They all look almost identical. We'll see if 12z euro ens follow suit. I think they will. 

That kind of pattern in early Nov will almost certainly get IAD below  freezing and probably BWI. It's a pretty deep trough so maybe RIC as well. DCA may struggle to get below 40. LOL

If we can get this type of pattern in December, we would be gold.

Nah, this pattern would suck in Dec. Torch for a couple days. Wet cold front. Then dry cold air that moves out before it can do any good. Progressive with a crappy storm track. 

Meh....I guess you are right. I just got excited when I saw the temperatures.

Nah, this pattern would suck in Dec. Torch for a couple days. Wet cold front. Then dry cold air that moves out before it can do any good. Progressive with a crappy storm track. 

LOL! We are just cooling the ground down so when we get the annual December 5th snow it sticks. Especially with the -4 to -6 BN forecast and snow for FL soon to follow!  :snowing:   (THIS WAS A BANTER POST - Sorry all.) - that with the #FaithintheFLflakes - the FLSAI

Final call for low temps on Nov 2nd:

IAD 28F

BWI 30F

RIC 30F

DCA 43F

Euro ens on board with a fast hitting cold shot in the same time frame. Starting to look like a pretty legit chance of scoring freezes for IAD/BWI at least. Flips back to boring and warmish shortly afterwards. The only 2 things worth tracking for the next couple weeks is hitting 80 tues or wed and then knocking down some first freezes. 

Archived