• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2014

Rtd208

Quite the interesting setup on the GFS for more active weather next week. Another 500mb low closes off, this time either overhead or just to our southeast. It likely won't bring excessive rainfall but periods of rain and cool temps look likely for at least a few days. For those wondering, the surface freezing line is up near Montreal so virtually zero chance of snow.

gfs_namer_159_500_vort_ht.gif

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the 18z gfs kinda goes nuts with this cutoff next week and it really amplifies it too which could make things a little more interesting than just some rain.

Also looks like whatever is in the gulf might be aiding with the moisture. I'm hoping we get a long lasting heavy rain with strong winds nor'easter. There's plenty of model support for it.

The GEFS and ECENS are in agreement for type of cut-off and coastal storm for middle of next week. Progressive/collapsing ridge causes shortwave energy dig and cut-off over East Coast. Too early to go into the details.

attachicon.gif0zGEFSf144.gif

attachicon.gifECENS500mb.gif

There does not seem to be a strong reflection down to the surface.    700mb and 850mb vorticity not as impressive.

The 00z ECMWF had a large swath of 5-8" over New England with the cut off low or coastal for next week. Wherever this H5 low closes off is going to be key. If overhead or just to our east the main slug of rain will probably be up towards New England. The 10/16 12z/18z GFS had the system retrograding a bit more and really dumping on the area. Either way, this pattern has great support on the GEFS and Euro Ensembles.

f156.gif

First real shot at a hard freeze on Monday morning per the 12z NAM for interior sections.

f69.gif

Taken verbatim, that looks more like a widespread frost / light freeze. I would consider a hard freeze to involve minimum temperatures sub 27F. Still, looks like the first 32F readings for many rural locales outside of NYC.

Taken verbatim, that looks more like a widespread frost / light freeze. I would consider a hard freeze to involve minimum temperatures sub 27F. Still, looks like the first 32F readings for many rural locales outside of NYC.

Over the years I've heard of a few different definitions of a hard freeze. I've heard below 28, below 27 and below 26. I've also heard it has to be at least 2 hours and I've heard it has to be for at least 3 hours.

Over the years I've heard of a few different definitions of a hard freeze. I've heard below 28, below 27 and below 26. I've also heard it has to be at least 2 hours and I've heard it has to be for at least 3 hours.

Yeah I mean dropping to 31 for less than an hour would certainly not qualify. Would have to be at least 28 or under which would of course last a few hours anyway since its not likely to drop from 33 to 27 and back up to 33 within an hour's time.

Yeah I mean dropping to 31 for less than an hour would certainly not qualify. Would have to be at least 28 or under which would of course last a few hours anyway since its not likely to drop from 33 to 27 and back up to 33 within an hour's time.

This is directly from the NWS site

"Minimum shelter temperature is forecast to be 28°F or less (slightly lower or higher based on local criteria) during the locally defined growing season."

Archived