12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New England Foliage Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Near peak at my place, which is 7-10 days ahead of average, and lots of great reds/oranges around.  Now that I've released for aerial photography all of the western Maine tracts (wish I'd done so last week, but was on vacation and never expected such a quick turn), I only hope for no leaf-stripping winds before the next clear day - contractor can probably finish in one more good day. 

Near peak at my place, which is 7-10 days ahead of average, and lots of great reds/oranges around. Now that I've released for aerial photography all of the western Maine tracts (wish I'd done so last week, but was on vacation and never expected such a quick turn), I only hope for no leaf-stripping winds before the next clear day - contractor can probably finish in one more good day.

what does this mean

what does this mean

Aerial photography is an important tool in forest management, and ours is typically used at a scale of 4" to one mile, though with digital the scale becomes flexible.  The 4"/mile scale makes for convenient field use of printouts.  When we have our imagery updated, we're asking for pictures taken as near to full coloration as is feasible, and it's always a game of balancing color change, leaf drop, and clear weather near the middle of the day - early/late photos have long shadows which limit the ability to interpret forest types and conditions.

(Apologies for the jargon; it's an occupational disease.)

Aerial photography is an important tool in forest management, and ours is typically used at a scale of 4" to one mile, though with digital the scale becomes flexible.  The 4"/mile scale makes for convenient field use of printouts.  When we have our imagery updated, we're asking for pictures taken as near to full coloration as is feasible, and it's always a game of balancing color change, leaf drop, and clear weather near the middle of the day - early/late photos have long shadows which limit the ability to interpret forest types and conditions.

(Apologies for the jargon; it's an occupational disease.)

I had to take an aerial photography interpretation course back in college and always find this stuff interesting. 

Early colors tend to be more muted. I wouldn't write off this being a nice season still in SNE, as your normal peak isn't really until mid October. The ramp up stage tends to begin about 1 week before peak.

Around here, early colors are decent with the usual swamp maples reach peak already. Definitely earlier than normal.

Off topic but... I'd love to share some pictures I took last week around the Kanc, but I can't figure out... how do you upload them??? The image button asks for a URL (and sorry if this is not the right place to post this question)

You need to do a "full reply" as opposed to a "quick reply".  That will give you the option to browse for the photos on your local device.

or it might be peak ALWAYS comes first in NNE, and Met Herbs wife pics are on a cloudy day?

Exactly. I knew he was going to say something like that, LOL. FWIW, if you click on the full size image they look better. The foliage looked even better yesterday with the clear blue skies. You and I and everyone else can continue to enjoy the bright foliage and others can focus on the few that don't look so good. Maybe that's one reason that the Quiet Corner stays "quiet". C'est la vie!

That very clearly shows the muted colors as compared to our friends to the north in NNE. The leaves have that dry look

Those look plenty vibrant and if all the trees were changed at the same time, it would look like NNE. It's also that the photos you are seeing from Rangley, ME to the Kang Highway, NH to the Northern Greens in VT are all some of the furthest N/NW areas in New England where fall comes earliest.

Ok you guys are right.. It's the brightest foliage season in CT in years. Looks like it's a top 3 year. Everyone has been raving about the vivid show Mother Nature is putting on. The Reds are blinding , the oranges make you grab your shades. The yellows are like a Starburst, no Browns in sight . Wow

lol, here we go again with the all or nothing. It can't just be an average foliage year. Starburst colors or total brown, nothing in-between.

It is possible that certain tree species are more immune than others to the drought, and therefore you can have a wide variation in color this year. Some species may just die brown and fall off, others are able to produce good sugars regardless.

Up here in NNE it's a pretty average foliage year to me. It's beautiful every year no matter what, so hard to say what's better or worse.

Thanks everyone!

Those look plenty vibrant and if all the trees were changed at the same time, it would look like NNE. It's also that the photos you are seeing from Rangley, ME to the Kang Highway, NH to the Northern Greens in VT are all some of the furthest N/NW areas in New England where fall comes earliest.

Yeah that's the thing about most of Vermont. It's a lot of the same trees so colors change rapidly and all at once. But the colors are also shorter lived, and we'll lose a lot of these colors sooner too. A little different in the Champlain Valley where there are more tree varieties, so things happen piecemeal there. The colors last longer but are not as spectacular.

Awesome as always Nittany! I had to take a break today from hiking and photographing lol.

We are at peak though for most of north and central VT. How's the CPV doing?

Thanks! Haha I'll be back at it tomorrow. Was definitely at peak from what I saw yesterday and today, although still some green on the lower halves of the trees. Leaf drop is accelerating. The CPV is definitely changing too! It's different than past years, and seems to be much closer in time of change when compared with the rest of Vermont than usual. But we'll be more staggered here. A longer but less brilliant season when compared to the Greens.

Archived