Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New England Foliage Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For reference...look at the photos from NIttany and myself in the general Stowe/Waterbury area, and compare to this photo of Mansfield taken last Thursday.  The difference in even 4-5 days is huge.  It seemed to change very rapidly immediately after the first freeze, though I wonder if that was just a coincidence.

Last Thursday...when things were still mostly green and more green/brown in the slight changed trees.

Big difference from last Thursday huh? lol

For reference...look at the photos from NIttany and myself in the general Stowe/Waterbury area, and compare to this photo of Mansfield taken last Thursday.  The difference in even 4-5 days is huge.  It seemed to change very rapidly immediately after the first freeze, though I wonder if that was just a coincidence.

Last Thursday...when things were still mostly green and more green/brown in the slight changed trees.

attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

It's nuts! Lol. This was from Friday:

10482195_770632886330032_213914317412000

Now this general view:

10247272_10152655552930358_2547501565020

Just outstanding weather this weekend for leaf viewing. Highs in the 70s and 80s across most of New England with a great deal of sunshine. Not to mention some nice color as you head up north.

There's some patchy color here and there across Connecticut, but I haven't seen anything too widespread in these parts.

Just outstanding weather this weekend for leaf viewing. Highs in the 70s and 80s across most of New England with a great deal of sunshine. Not to mention some nice color as you head up north.

There's some patchy color here and there across Connecticut, but I haven't seen anything too widespread in these parts.

saw some nice color in ECT hills this AM backlit by a rainbow

Foliage coming along extremely fast and colorful in Northern and Northcentral NH.  Drove up to Franconia Notch yesterday and I would say they are about 5 days from peak.  With high pressure over us this weekend its giving a chance for everything to change without some trees being stripped daily by wind as others just start to turn.   I would say Im at 30% here in the NW part of the lakes region and will be 50-70% by Sunday at this rate.

Connecticut Lake looks very close to peak right now.

Here is a couple from what I caught today on Route 12 outside of Elmore heading for Montpelier. There was definitely an awesome stretch of color there.

gallery_139_47_6600.jpg

gallery_139_47_138750.jpg

gallery_139_47_158677.jpg

Eyewall, love your posts but as a photographer myself you should really let people know that your photos are digitally altered.  Colors are great but you don't want people thinking that they are this brilliant and saturated.  I just think photography should be honest or if someone does choose to enhance their pictures it should be stated.   Just a pet peeve of mine.  Kind of like the perfect model without blemishes etc.

Eyewall, love your posts but as a photographer myself you should really let people know that your photos are digitally altered. Colors are great but you don't want people thinking that they are this brilliant and saturated. I just think photography should be honest or if someone does choose to enhance their pictures it should be stated. Just a pet peeve of mine. Kind of like the perfect model without blemishes etc.

99% of photos you see today are altered in some way. Mine are usually darkened if I'm taking them at midday light or something. I bet Nittany touches his up a little, JSpin too. All the shots I see from the MWN Observatory each day are usually touched up.

Some are just more enhanced than others. But just about anyone taking the time to take photos is doing some sort of post-processing.

I prefer raw photos myself and not enhanced.

It depends... say like the northern lights.  You'll never, ever see a photo of the northern lights that wasn't enhanced.  Pretty much any fall foliage shot you'll ever see in a brochure or a calendar or New England book or whatever has had something done to it.  The trick is just getting the light to balance, not necessarily altering the photo.  Go take a picture of something outside, and it keeps coming out white-washed, or on the other side it comes out so dark you can't see the subject but you can see the background.  Sometimes you just need to balance that...there's a reason digital photography has taken off.

I think what most people like are photos that they can't *tell* if they have been enhanced.  There is not one photographer out there that even does semi-professional work that isn't loading photos into a post processing program.

The reason photos are enhanced is to approximate what a healthy human eye can see particularly with respect to colors. There's not a camera on earth that can do that without some help.

Yes, good way to state it.  Doesn't matter what it is, it could be a photo of Fenway Park you are looking at from Boston.com...and I bet anything that photo was altered to really give the Monster that "green."  Or every single sunset shot from the Mount Washington Observatory.  

Again, I think its more that people like photos that they can't tell are enhanced...if its too enhanced, that's when people notice.  The trick of a good photographer is usually to get it done without someone immediately thinking that's been enhanced.  To make it look like it does to the naked eye, but not going overboard.

It depends... say like the northern lights.  You'll never, ever see a photo of the northern lights that wasn't enhanced.  Pretty much any fall foliage shot you'll ever see in a brochure or a calendar or New England book or whatever has had something done to it.  The trick is just getting the light to balance, not necessarily altering the photo.  Go take a picture of something outside, and it keeps coming out white-washed, or on the other side it comes out so dark you can't see the subject but you can see the background.  Sometimes you just need to balance that...there's a reason digital photography has taken off.

I think what most people like are photos that they can't *tell* if they have been enhanced.  There is not one photographer out there that even does semi-professional work that isn't loading photos into a post processing program.

Cameras are real good these days, so I guess I just prefer the actual photo vs enhancing colors. Usually when they are enhanced it's even beyond what the eye actually sees. That's just me, though. I understand enhancing to get rid of bad light etc...but to me it's basically not the real thing when it goes beyond perfecting a pic. People enhance the sky, clouds etc...when that's not even the true look of what is beyond photographed. 

Archived