Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New England Foliage Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

A few to add from here in the NEK

Darling Hill in Newport looking out over Lake Memphremagog, Bear Mtn, Owls'Head and The Pinaccle in the Eastern Townships prominent on the horizon.

DSCN0223.jpg

South Shore of Willoughby, looking up at the cliffs on Mt Pisgah

DSCN0224.jpg

The view from the cliffs back down toward Willoughby

DSCN0231.jpg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long you down there for? We've still got a solid week left of great color. I'd say through next weekend at least. Although there's lots of peak color, this is the early peak where there's still some green mixed in. Next weekend I bet still looks awesome, just with some leaf drop but the still green trees will fill that in with more orange and red.

Flying back Thursday night. Hope it's not too late.

My folks sent me this shot from the beach in Woodstock next to their summer cottage...seems early, as I remember Columbus Day weekend being vibrant as a kid visiting there growing up.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Not much bright or vibrance there. A lot of dull yellows and browns..And yes it is very early to be this far advanced

After Powderfreak posted those incrediable pictures decided to drive up to Franconia Notch.  Peak color is at around 2000 feet.  Absolutely beautiful.  Here are 2 pictures, one coming into the Notch and another looking up at Mt Lafayette 5300 high.  My Canon 5D Mark 2 was on auto settings with auto white balance so didn't do anything to these photos.

Your two photos show the difference lighting makes... the first one seems a little washed out on the color due to lighting, but the second one is perfect with the light coming behind you and highlighting the color.  Personally, I would've darkened the first one  :devilsmiley:, but props for sticking with your guns and posting as it came out of the lens.

If you don't like post-processing though, you could play around with filters and other expensive add-ons to achieve a similar end product like touching them up in a photo program. 

Was up in Crawford Notch this weekend. Some real nice colors. Not much color to see in this pic but visibility was great. Looking toward mt. Washington. attachicon.gif20140927_111157.jpg

The Whites and Adirondacks as a whole seem to have a lot more evergreen species due to the relatively higher average elevations.  I bet in parts of the Whites and Adirondacks you actually have to stay sort of in the lower elevations to get the real peak foliage view of entire hillsides covered in color.  I noticed it even on Mansfield hiking today, once I got to the spruce line, I turned around because those trees will be green all year round, lol.  The color was best in that 1,500-3,000ft range...and above that it gets more bland.

99% of photos you see today are altered in some way. Mine are usually darkened if I'm taking them at midday light or something. I bet Nittany touches his up a little, JSpin too. All the shots I see from the MWN Observatory each day are usually touched up.

Some are just more enhanced than others. But just about anyone taking the time to take photos is doing some sort of post-processing.

The reason photos are enhanced is to approximate what a healthy human eye can see particularly with respect to colors. There's not a camera on earth that can do that without some help.

Yeah I only touch mine up to match what I actually saw. Especially because, while I have a decent camera, its in no way high end.

Obscene colors today. I think the mountain is peaking. Sunny skies and temps in the 70s, coupled with a weekend...it is a sh't show up here. I can't ever remember this many people being in the parking lots up here. Literally running out of parking. Mountain Road is like 93 in Boston at rush hour, bumper to bumper.

This is like when a big snowstorm falls right before Presidents Weekend and the the sun comes out. People coming out of the woodwork.

Just awesome foliage out there. I'm hoping to head up towards Belvidere tomorrow, where I saw the best foliage of my life last year lol.

There was some great color up in the northern Berkshires and S VT, especially near 2K where it's currently peaking. Here a couple of my favorites. Cell phone pics, so the quality isn't great.

The first one was taken on route 9 in Woodford, the second in Stamford on route 8/100 just above the state line.

post-48-0-91300800-1411960284_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-28796100-1411960384_thumb.jpg

Archived