Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New England Foliage Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foliage is pretty much at the "holy f'ing sh*t" level right now. Each day you think it may not get better and then it does.

I think today is peak day for the mountains down to the extreme northern part of the lakes region in NH.  If high pressure and light winds could have held off for a few more days the peak would have even been more spectacular.  Brisk east wind and drizzle, especially for east areas will bring down a lot of leaves so we probably will not retain peak with that leaf drop in NNE.  Yesterday and today really made for great leaf viewing in the mountains down to about me.  Central and of course Southern areas have a ways to go.

More coming later...here are a few teasers. Its just insane out there right now.

Still some green left though, so I think the peak is going to continue for at least several days. I bet next weekend is still phenomenal.

10711026_10102005466396130_7589756165253

IMG_3723_edited-2.jpg

IMG_3720_edited-2.jpg

Wow. Incredible. I want to head up there for a fall season at some point. This time of year with school or work is so hard to find time to take a trip even for a night.

I had to darken two of those up, and lighten one of them (the one with the double chairlift)...but that's how my eye perceived those views. The camera had them a little too dark and a little too washed out on the bright photo. The shot looking into the notch was pretty close as the lighting was good with the sun behind me.

The funny thing about editing, is that most of my photos today came out with an orange and red hue due to how bright those colors are, so I have to actually remove that to show the greens and blue sky. The originals look like they were taken with a orange filter on.

It's hard in the midday sunlight, but the funny thing is early in the fall you have to sort of bring out the orange and red colors when they are more scattered about...whereas now I need to scale them back to get the yellow, green and blue sky to show up better.

I really don't think just pointing and shooting on auto mode will capture exactly what you are looking for, so some tweaking is necessary but IMO that's how it looked to my eye.

I can't believe how quick those came on. You should post a pic from the 18th or whenever it was when it was mostly green. Big change from the pic you have in the first page of this thread.

Yeah, it was Thurs the 18th when things were still almost entirely green and Nittany and I were musing that it seemed late. Ten days from green to essentially peak...and in ten more days it'll be sticks with some leaves on the mountain haha.

This is a photo a friend took at Stowe today...it was edited by whatever facebook's internal auto-edit program does, but the reds up here are unreal...there's a mid-elevation belt from like 1,500-2,700ft where the reds and oranges are at their most vivid...

Like I said earlier, we are at the holy f'in sh*t stage of color.

what I find extremely unusual is we down here are usually very far behind you ,this year we exploded quickly. Some unreal spots today on RT 14 in Windham Ct today.

My folks sent me this shot from the beach in Woodstock next to their summer cottage...seems early, as I remember Columbus Day weekend being vibrant as a kid visiting there growing up.

I'm missing it all in FL :(. 85 and rain isn't cutting it.

How long you down there for? We've still got a solid week left of great color. I'd say through next weekend at least. Although there's lots of peak color, this is the early peak where there's still some green mixed in. Next weekend I bet still looks awesome, just with some leaf drop but the still green trees will fill that in with more orange and red.

My folks sent me this shot from the beach in Woodstock next to their summer cottage...seems early, as I remember Columbus Day weekend being vibrant as a kid visiting there growing up.

image.jpg

Beautiful yes,certainly not brown and dried up, as we saw with the graphic I posted from NWS, dry weather promotes sugar which enhances Reds

After Powderfreak posted those incrediable pictures decided to drive up to Franconia Notch.  Peak color is at around 2000 feet.  Absolutely beautiful.  Here are 2 pictures, one coming into the Notch and another looking up at Mt Lafayette 5300 high.  My Canon 5D Mark 2 was on auto settings with auto white balance so didn't do anything to these photos.

post-268-0-61734500-1411945549_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-12729200-1411945557_thumb.jpg

After Powderfreak posted those incrediable pictures decided to drive up to Franconia Notch. Peak color is at around 2000 feet. Absolutely beautiful. Here are 2 pictures, one coming into the Notch and another looking up at Mt Lafayette 5300 high. My Canon 5D Mark 2 was on auto settings with auto white balance so didn't do anything to these photos.

Was up in Crawford Notch this weekend. Some real nice colors. Not much color to see in this pic but visibility was great. Looking toward mt. Washington. post-2152-141194613182.jpg

Archived