amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
New England Foliage Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah man it is tough on the main roads! Lol.

Awesome. Stowe/Smuggler's Notch has gotta be the Crown Jewel of Fall in Vermont.

It is quite nice...the cliffs of the Notch and the sharp terrain changes make it sweet. All seasons that Notch is impressive...skiing down there in the winter with huge 1,000ft cliffs overhead, just big terrain.

I love that last series of shots you took. The RT 108 going through the yellow trees is sick. Can already see most of the foliage is on the lower slopes now, but still vibrant!

"Oakland took top honors as the best town in America for leaf-peeping, thanks primarily to the blazing colors found just nine miles north of town at Swallow Falls State Park. As the Youghiogheny River flows through rock gorges, the oldest stands of eastern hemlock and white pine—more than 360 years old—blanket the area in gold, orange and red."

lol what

I wrote another post but accidentally deleted it, but those magazine writers and online editors have the life. They travel everywhere for free and get pampered with the best local knowledge of each spot. I show them around sometimes in the winter up here, and it would be hard *not* to have a great time anywhere if money was no object and you are shown directly to the best local spots for whatever it is you are writing about.

We went out today south to Middlebury than across the greens and back up route 100. I was surprised at how much was already past peak and kind of dull. There were a few diamonds in the rough though. Without a doubt there was already plenty of leaf drop. It was an early one this season it appears.

gallery_139_47_278618.jpg

This is the Hancock Overlook on Rt. 100. There was some enhancement, but nothing over the top. The main things were a little sharpening and elimination of the blue cast which dulls everything too much.

Yeah you can definitely tell it's on it's way out...more bare trees, we lost the diversity of the vibrant reds, replaced with more of a widespread orange look.

Yeah you can definitely tell it's on it's way out...more bare trees, we lost the diversity of the vibrant reds, replaced with more of a widespread orange look.

That is for sure. I am glad I went out last week as it was truly awesome then. It was still nice, but not like the Elmore area last time I went out. There wasn't much to look at crossing the ridge line over to 100. They are quickly approaching stick season there.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/travel/best-towns-fall-colors/index.html

Oakland, MD took 1st, then Lake Placid, Stillwater, MN 3rd, and Stowe 4th, Ludlow/Okemo 5th.

D- grade for whatever editor selected the pictures for that slide show.  Most of them sucked.  I loved the Okemo chairlift--boy that inspires someone to get in the car.

We're heading to NH today/tomorrow.  Fortunately, we're going to look at a house and not the foliage.  Methinks the rain tonight will put a big dent in the leaf department.  Just the same, people are heading up there.  LOL at the (now sold out) Clarendon that was posting $340/night.

Just had a "wow" moment.  Looking up from my computer into the early light, it's a solid orange out there..  A bit of a trick of the light that's enhancing things between the trees, leaf-covered ground, fog, and early light.  But pretty wild.  Just took a picture which of course comes out totally meh.

Just had a "wow" moment. Looking up from my computer into the early light, it's a solid orange out there.. A bit of a trick of the light that's enhancing things between the trees, leaf-covered ground, fog, and early light. But pretty wild. Just took a picture which of course comes out totally meh.

That's why you need to edit the light a little bit, the camera isn't catching what your eye is seeing ;)

Beautiful photos there, guys (or gals).

I ...detect, for lack of better word, year-to-year subtle differences in the complexion of color expression, and through my memories of particular years may be blurred toward vagueness due to the tsunamis of other life's experiences ... there does still remain enough vestigial recall to sense those variations. 

This year, if we were to remove any Oak species from the canvas, we would be near peak where I am along Rt 2 and 495 in Mass.  Oaks typically are later than the Maples and such, but this year ... that juxtaposition is more extreme than I remember it being.  Usually, there is stress/swamp tree early changers toward mid to late September, and then yellowing/oranging/and red tinting begins in earnest around the 1st of October, while of course the Oaks are stubborn in their green. Then ... come the ides of the month there is a kind of "flash over" as peak passes through the area, and the Oaks are browning and redding as that happens... At the end of the October, all that remains is brown slowly shedding Oaks amid a tapestry of life-less limbs.  

For me, that's the first day of winter ... really.  When I take note of that environ, winter has begun.  If it started snowing during those days and stuck, I wouldn't think anything of it.  Oh, it would be an early anomaly - sure.  

Anyway ... but this year, it seems the non-Oak species really do want to peak early, but the inclusion of still greenish Oaks are making our average appear only moderate.  It's kind of lying about this, out there...

We are shedding fast... all the trees around me in town are well past peak and shedding leaves fast.  This rain is going to bring down a lot.  A lot of trees have bare crowns with leaves left lower down on the trees.

These were from two days ago...still some stubborn green here and there, but by and large its down to yellows and a few oranges, with leaf drop. 

Probably within a month or so we may have to put away the summer toys, and transport will switch to snowmobiles and snowcats.

We are shedding fast... all the trees around me in town are well past peak and shedding leaves fast.  This rain is going to bring down a lot.  A lot of trees have bare crowns with leaves left lower down on the trees.

These were from two days ago...still some stubborn green here and there, but by and large its down to yellows and a few oranges, with leaf drop. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3846_edited-2.jpg

Probably within a month or so we may have to put away the summer toys, and transport will switch to snowmobiles and snowcats.

attachicon.gifIMG_3856_edited-2.jpg

Yeah it is definitely done in the inland areas up here.

Archived