• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
New England Foliage Thread

TauntonBlizzard2013

For folks that doubted me or thought I was making stuff up..this is what our foliage looks like this year..Very very blah..and again..I'm really not sure what caused it..but it's the worst in many yrs

Josh Phillips Wx ‏@JoshPhillipsWx  10m

@ericfisher @danburyweather @Connecticut_WX @Nick_SNEwx Foliage from Coventry, CT 10/10/14

I don't know man.... looks pretty vibrant to me.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm half kidding but we should have a policy on AMWX that pictures/data shouldn't be edited.  Includes foliage, cloud formations, visibility in rain or snow etc. Even when I post snow pictures when its snowing or a squall going through  its so easy to add contrast or play with curves to make it looks worse than it is.  This is in general a scientific forum so we should keep data/pictures as accurate as possible.  Just my 2 cents.  This could be a whole thread of its own......anyhow.....

For folks that doubted me or thought I was making stuff up..this is what our foliage looks like this year..Very very blah..and again..I'm really not sure what caused it..but it's the worst in many yrs

Seriously?  You find the worst possible spots to take a picture, especially of oaks and post them.

Even in today's rain I had a nice ride to Rhode Island with my family enjoying the lovely foliage.  Lots of red, yellows and oranges to be seen. In some spots the trees are getting bare but still lots of colors along fields and in towns along the drive.

Seriously? You find the worst possible spots to take a picture, especially of oaks and post them.

Even in today's rain I had a nice ride to Rhode Island with my family enjoying the lovely foliage. Lots of red, yellows and oranges to be seen. In some spots the trees are getting bare but still lots of colors along fields and in towns along the drive.

That wasn't my pictures. Someone took them in Coventry

I'm half kidding but we should have a policy on AMWX that pictures/data shouldn't be edited. Includes foliage, cloud formations, visibility in rain or snow etc. Even when I post snow pictures when its snowing or a squall going through its so easy to add contrast or play with curves to make it looks worse than it is. This is in general a scientific forum so we should keep data/pictures as accurate as possible. Just my 2 cents. This could be a whole thread of its own......anyhow.....

I really believe editing is necessary to make things look like what the human eye sees. Your eye captures the perfect lighting and color. Your camera doesn't. It makes me think of MoneyPitMikes post a couple pages back where he saw a stunning scene outside his window (enough to make him come post about how spectacular it was), but when he took a picture it didn't do the scene any justice and was worthless to post.

I think if you made a thread of just originals, you'd have a bunch of too dark or too exposed photos.

People aren't trying to deceive I don't think, just get a worthwhile photo that matches what their eye saw and led them to take that photo in the first place.

But we already hashed this out several pages back, lol.

I really believe editing is necessary to make things look like what the human eye sees. Your eye captures the perfect lighting and color. Your camera doesn't. It makes me think of MoneyPitMikes post a couple pages back where he saw a stunning scene outside his window (enough to make him come post about how spectacular it was), but when he took a picture it didn't do the scene any justice and was worthless to post.

I think if you made a thread of just originals, you'd have a bunch of too dark or too exposed photos.

People aren't trying to deceive I don't think, just get a worthwhile photo that matches what their eye saw and led them to take that photo in the first place.

But we already hashed this out several pages back, lol.

idk....I think most cameras do a better job than people think considering my absolute first thought when I see probably 80% of the pictures here or especially facebook is "this photo in no way represents reality".  I'll give you plenty of credit for being realistic in your editing, though.

I'm using a 12 year old refrigerator sized Nikon camera and never seem to have this problem.  The only time I feel the need to edit stuff is on hazy days.  I've found lowering whatever the hell the gamma is really de-hazes things.

Folks should pick up a polarizing filter if they want to enhance colors and reduce glare and still have natural looking photos.  I can't quite wrap my head around how those things do what they do.

idk....I think most cameras do a better job than people think considering my absolute first thought when I see probably 80% of the pictures here or especially facebook is "this photo in no way represents reality". I'll give you plenty of credit for being realistic in your editing, though.

I'm using a 12 year old refrigerator sized Nikon camera and never seem to have this problem. The only time I feel the need to edit stuff is on hazy days. I've found lowering whatever the hell the gamma is really de-hazes things.

Folks should pick up a polarizing filter if they want to enhance colors and reduce glare and still have natural looking photos. I can't quite wrap my head around how those things do what they do.

Yeah a friend of mine has several types of filters and I tried them out once and it was pretty amazing. But then the debate becomes is there a difference in using filters and expensive add-ons to enhance a photo, vs just doing some light altering on a computer.

Really I edit because lighting annoys me to no end. I do bracket a lot of photos, but I hate something that comes out too dark or too light when that's not the scene you are actually seeing. Also ski photos require it and winter snow pics in general because New England in the winter is dark as it is, and any high shutter speed necessary to capture movement is going to look almost black sometimes lol. You also have the whole snow is bright, everything else is dark issue.

For fall foliage, I just think of all the folks that come and take pictures, then look at it on the camera or post them on social media, and say, "it looked so much better in person"...I'm not sure why that is.

Yeah a friend of mine has several types of filters and I tried them out once and it was pretty amazing. But then the debate becomes is there a difference in using filters and expensive add-ons to enhance a photo, vs just doing some light altering on a computer.

Really I edit because lighting annoys me to no end. I do bracket a lot of photos, but I hate something that comes out too dark or too light when that's not the scene you are actually seeing. Also ski photos require it and winter snow pics in general because New England in the winter is dark as it is, and any high shutter speed necessary to capture movement is going to look almost black sometimes lol. You also have the whole snow is bright, everything else is dark issue.

For fall foliage, I just think of all the folks that come and take pictures, then look at it on the camera or post them on social media, and say, "it looked so much better in person"...I'm not sure why that is.

Messing with filters and exposure and shutter speed and whatnot while taking the picture is not any different than post-image editing. It's just a difference as to when you do the enhancing.

I think its quite obvious when someone does something to make the picture look more realistic versus when someone over-edits the picture.

On the slopes especially it's hard to dial in all the settings needed for whatever picture when you're dealing with glare so you can't see, and cold so you can't use your fingers normally.  Sometimes you end up with an under or over-exposed image that is otherwise good, so it can be saved with some simple processing.

Bad editing is pretty much a required step on the way to good editing, so you are going to see some ruined pictures.  The best photos are almost always post-processed, so it's throwing out the baby with the bath water to suggest that nobody edit their images.

On the slopes especially it's hard to dial in all the settings needed for whatever picture when you're dealing with glare so you can't see, and cold so you can't use your fingers normally.  Sometimes you end up with an under or over-exposed image that is otherwise good, so it can be saved with some simple processing.

Bad editing is pretty much a required step on the way to good editing, so you are going to see some ruined pictures.  The best photos are almost always post-processed, so it's throwing out the baby with the bath water to suggest that nobody edit their images.

For sure.

This is just an example of how I think a little editing just makes for a  more enjoyable photo to look at to me.

The original comes out a little hazy, with an orange hue that sort of blends all the colors together.

The edited version is basically just a sharper image, removed the "hazy orange" look to bring out the individual colors, but overall really not much was done. 

Its essentially just a sharper image with more definition to the individual objects in the photo.  By adding definition and a little to the contrast as opposed to the orange hue originally, the other colors in the photo besides orange jump out a bit more.  Maybe its just me, but it doesn't seem too unrealistic, IMO.  Its just a more defined photo now.  I could've sat there with filters and bracketing and different iso settings, etc, but I'd rather just sharpen it up at home.

I like to print photos out and frame them around the house, usually rotating images around in the frames, but if I were to want to put one of these on the wall, I'd rather look at the second image than the first image.

I agree with Ginx about a camera not being able to pick up images as well as the eye but when you are editing a photo, aren't you doing it from memory? How accurate is that? Let me note that I really do not know much about photography so I don't mean to sound like I favor one method over the other.

I agree with Ginx about a camera not being able to pick up images as well as the eye but when you are editing a photo, aren't you doing it from memory? How accurate is that? Let me note that I really do not know much about photography so I don't mean to sound like I favor one method over the other.

Yeah you are doing it from memory but it's more taking out things that annoy me in photos...sun spots, haze, washed out colors. I really like balanced light too.

To me it's not about tricking someone, it's about making a aesthetically pleasing photo to look at.

Going to declare peak foliage for this part of the lake today.

Not shown in this picture, but for whatever reason the oak trees are almost just as impressive as the maples this year.  Most have turned a very impressive bright yellow and orange.

Lots of sugar maples seem confused, with many still deep green with orange tops.

post-18-0-78671500-1413484057_thumb.jpg

Going to declare peak foliage for this part of the lake today.

Not shown in this picture, but for whatever reason the oak trees are almost just as impressive as the maples this year.  Most have turned a very impressive bright yellow and orange.

Lots of sugar maples seem confused, with many still deep green with orange tops.

attachicon.gifDSCN0022.JPG

Did you bring Ginxy up to take that photo?

Archived