Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Map posted puts MDT and AVP at .8 to .9 and IPT and UNV around .5 to .6

Probably about time that CPT and BGM do what they are going to do, whether that be Warnings or Advisories.....I probably lean Warnings from a Binghamton, Williamsport, Harrisburg line one Eastward.....Advisories 1 or 2 rows of counties west of there

end of HRRR starting to get close to event range... 16z run has 850mb 0 C line moving in wrong direction during overnight hours up to end of run at 2am which is not good with the edge of precip starting to reach DC area then... hope this is because it is at the tail end of the run and we see better results the next few hours

I think NE PA is actually in a good place for this, I'd say 6"+ is a lock, maybe even 8"+. Good frontogenesis and VVs look to make it to that area. Ratios won't be the best but it should be cold enough to accumulate right away. I-81 corridor and east has the best odds at 6-8"+ but back towards I-99/Rt 220 there should some 6" amounts as well. I'd say 4-7" for State College, Williamsport, Altoona. West of there more like 2-4". I'd say CTP goes with warnings for the tier of counties just east of I-99, i.e. starting with Huntingdon, Juniata, Northumberland. High-end advisory is probably the safer bet west of there. 

BGM just pulled the trigger and put their NEPA counties under a Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
207 PM EST TUE NOV 25 2014

...SNOWSTORM EXPECTED FROM LATE TONIGHT TO LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT WHICH
WILL IMPACT HOLIDAY TRAVEL...

.A COASTAL STORM WILL BRING HEAVY SNOW TO MUCH OF NORTHEAST
PENNSYLVANIA AND THE WESTERN CATSKILLS FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY. FARTHER NORTH AND WEST...LESS SNOW IS EXPECTED. THE SNOW
IS EXPECTED TO TAPER DOWN TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS LATE WEDNESDAY
NIGHT. THIS STORM WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT HOLIDAY TRAVEL ON
WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT IN NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND MUCH
OF CENTRAL NEW YORK ESPECIALLY SOUTH AND EAST OF A UTICA TO
WAVERLY LINE.

NYZ057-062-PAZ040-043-044-047-048-072-261915-
/O.UPG.KBGM.WS.A.0005.141126T1200Z-141127T1200Z/
/O.NEW.KBGM.WS.W.0006.141126T0800Z-141127T1100Z/
DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-NORTHERN WAYNE-WYOMING-LACKAWANNA-LUZERNE-PIKE-
SOUTHERN WAYNE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WALTON...DELHI...MONTICELLO...
TUNKHANNOCK...SCRANTON...WILKES-BARRE...HAZLETON...MILFORD...
HONESDALE
207 PM EST TUE NOV 25 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM WEDNESDAY TO 6 AM EST
THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM WEDNESDAY
TO 6 AM EST THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA EXCEPT BRADFORD COUNTY
AND DELAWARE AND SULLIVAN COUNTIES IN NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW. THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS WILL
BE OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN WHERE A FEW LOCATIONS COULD SEE A
FOOT OF SNOW. VALLEYS WILL SEE THE LEAST SNOWFALL.

* TIMING...SNOW BEGINS BETWEEN 3 AND 6 AM OVERNIGHT AND CONTINUES
THROUGH THE DAYLIGHT HOURS WEDNESDAY AND TAPERS OFF WEDNESDAY
NIGHT TO SNOW SHOWERS. SNOWFALL OF ONE TO TWO INCHES PER HOUR IS
EXPECTED BETWEEN 9 AM AND 3 PM WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY ROADS. TRAVEL FROM LATE
TONIGHT TO WEDNESDAY NIGHT WILL BECOME DANGEROUS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW
ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN
EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA
FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN
EMERGENCY.

PLEASE REPORT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY
CALLING TOLL FREE AT 1-877-633-6772...OR BY EMAIL AT
[email protected].

CTP counties will do well.  Couple of key things I've noticed:

1.)  Highs are running 1-3 degrees below what was forecast.  

2.)  De points are running lower than what MAV/MET MOS guidance was forecasting.  This is huge, especially if the dews can drop another 3-5 degrees overnight.  The atmosphere will be able to wet bulb much quicker.

3.)  The cirrus shield has really muted the insolation on roads...secondary roads should see some adverse impacts.

4.)  Speaking of clouds, there is a nice bit of clearing in western PA / eastern OH.  If that can nudge in for a few hours this evening then it should help temps radiate.

All these little things can be huge...I am cautiously optimistic things pan out on the snowier side.

CTP counties will do well.  Couple of key things I've noticed:

1.)  Highs are running 1-3 degrees below what was forecast.  

2.)  De points are running lower than what MAV/MET MOS guidance was forecasting.  This is huge, especially if the dews can drop another 3-5 degrees overnight.  The atmosphere will be able to wet bulb much quicker.

3.)  The cirrus shield has really muted the insolation on roads...secondary roads should see some adverse impacts.

4.)  Speaking of clouds, there is a nice bit of clearing in western PA / eastern OH.  If that can nudge in for a few hours this evening then it should help temps radiate.

All these little things can be huge...I am cautiously optimistic things pan out on the snowier side.

Great observations, and much appreciated with all the squabbling going on over each tiny difference on the models in some of the subforums.

Sidenote, PBZ just pulled the trigger on winter weather advisories...CTP should do the same within the next 3 hours.

Also threw up warnings in the Laurels' sections of Westmoreland and Fayette as well. My guess would be CTP will upgrade all of their watch counties to warnings and throw Clearfield and northern Clinton/Lycoming in advisories 

Great observations, and much appreciated with all the squabbling going on over each tiny difference on the models in some of the subforums.

Yep hugging surface temperatures on each run of each model is not going to get you anywhere.  Models being off on little things such as cloud cover, dew point temps, or other can impact the degree or two changes from run to run.  Some elsewhere just don't seem to be thinking about that.

Yep hugging surface temperatures on each run of each model is not going to get you anywhere.  Models being off on little things such as cloud cover, dew point temps, or other can impact the degree or two changes from run to run.  Some elsewhere just don't seem to be thinking about that.

Yea...in marginal events like this, Jan 26, 2011 and Oct 28, 2011 are examples when low level dry air is key.  In Philly on Jan 26, 2011 the metro region wet bulbed in one hour and that caused an unexpected 6"-9" of wet snow to just murder the commute.

Man, the other sub forums are just down right depressing. I've noticed similar observations that Eskimo Joe was eluding too. I think any areas near I95 and east are basically toast, but any area 15+ miles to the N&W of the fall line could very well see some snow accumulation. I don't think some people grasp the idea of a Miller A coming up the coast too well. A system with a Gulf and Atlantic connection will be moisture laden and that's a given. Time in and time out we've seen Miller A events get under forecasted by every model including the Euro. 

Now, the situation with temperatures out ahead of the system are not what we are used to seeing, but they are improving and good enough for most areas north of the Mason Dixon to see snow. The dynamics will play a key role in the storms evolution and it's ability to give areas a good dumping of snow. One thing that has been common from all the models is the storm will be producing fairly significant dynamics during the height of the event. 700 mb UVV looks prime for a good extension of the area, especially from Adams county to West Chester off to the northeast. Aided by a help in elevation for many, this could be a bit of a surprise for some. The storm track looks good, the fact we have a southern stream connection is good and we don't have to deal with a killer sun angle unlike times in March. The only two things that could throw a monkey wrench into the overall equation for snow would be a lack of UL dynamics present and surface temperatures. Areas further south into DC will probably see a fail and anyone near the bay and I95 will be looking at a rain/white rain ending as some back end flakes with little to no accumulation. But those areas N&W have a shot, especially areas with an elevation >650'. This is just my two cents. It's November guys, this is still just a bonus  :)

That map is about as good as you can get for this time of year.

I'm just happy there's going to be no ice aspect to this storm. I'm pretty sure it was literally this day last year we had our first winter storm of the season and it was a verified ice storm warning back in these parts and in the southern tier. 

Man, the other sub forums are just down right depressing. I've noticed similar observations that Eskimo Joe was eluding too. I think any areas near I95 and east are basically toast, but any area 15+ miles to the N&W of the fall line could very well see some snow accumulation. I don't think some people grasp the idea of a Miller A coming up the coast too well. A system with a Gulf and Atlantic connection will be moisture laden and that's a given. Time in and time out we've seen Miller A events get under forecasted by every model including the Euro. 

Now, the situation with temperatures out ahead of the system are not what we are used to seeing, but they are improving and good enough for most areas north of the Mason Dixon to see snow. The dynamics will play a key role in the storms evolution and it's ability to give areas a good dumping of snow. One thing that has been common from all the models is the storm will be producing fairly significant dynamics during the height of the event. 700 mb UVV looks prime for a good extension of the area, especially from Adams county to West Chester off to the northeast. Aided by a help in elevation for many, this could be a bit of a surprise for some. The storm track looks good, the fact we have a southern stream connection is good and we don't have to deal with a killer sun angle unlike times in March. The only two things that could throw a monkey wrench into the overall equation for snow would be a lack of UL dynamics present and surface temperatures. Areas further south into DC will probably see a fail and anyone near the bay and I95 will be looking at a rain/white rain ending as some back end flakes with little to no accumulation. But those areas N&W have a shot, especially areas with an elevation >650'. This is just my two cents. It's November guys, this is still just a bonus  :)

This isn't going to be a happy storm for my backyard-it's very likely to be a rain or sleet or nonaccumulating slop event. The writing's been on the wall for a while for this to be an interior event. If the airmass behind this front was anything like last week's, it would be much better for more people. 

I'll have to live this storm vicariously through this thread. :snowman:

they will push me too if im not careful ;)

I don't know why anyone around the DC area thought this was going to be a good storm for them. The writing was on the wall a few days ago about this being a back loaded event for everyone with no drilling HP to the north to help out. They live at the wrong latitude, combine that with UHI and they were destined for failure. I still think areas N&W of the major cities get snow and there will be one heck of gradient as you go. Your area and anyone above 650' will do decent to pretty good depending on high up you go. Here in SPA and CPA, we should be ok for most of us to change to snow quicker and accumulate for a few more hours compared to down south. I love a lot of those guys, but it's a snow storm in November. If anyone thought we'd all get hammered, I have some beach front property in Nebraska to sell them.

Archived