Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

18z NAM:

You can see how far NW it has significant (in fact quite elevated) 600 mb frontogenesis. That's probably a result of the stronger 250 mb wind speed gradient (vs. the 12z GFS for example) having a much stronger ageostrophic secondary circulation in the jet entrance region. It's quite a good look for central PA from UNV and southeast, but most likely way overdone.

FRNT600nam212F21.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why anyone around the DC area thought this was going to be a good storm for them. The writing was on the wall a few days ago about this being a back loaded event for everyone with no drilling HP to the north to help out. They live at the wrong latitude, combine that with UHI and they were destined for failure. I still think areas N&W of the major cities get snow and there will be one heck of gradient as you go. Your area and anyone above 650' will do decent to pretty good depending on high up you go. Here in SPA and CPA, we should be ok for most of us to change to snow quicker and accumulate for a few more hours compared to down south. I love a lot of those guys, but it's a snow storm in November. If anyone thought we'd all get hammered, I have some beach front property in Nebraska to sell them.

I think ill be fine - 4" is my benchmark anything more than that is a bonus to me. will be at home all day to enjoy whatever happens. 

You can see how far NW it has significant (in fact quite elevated) 600 mb frontogenesis. That's probably a result of the stronger 250 mb wind speed gradient (vs. the 12z GFS for example) having a much stronger ageostrophic secondary circulation in the jet entrance region. It's quite a good look for central PA from UNV and southeast, but most likely way overdone.

FRNT600nam212F21.png

Ohhhh bummer.

FRNT600nam212F21.png

Nice map heavy_wx. I'm not a fan of the NAM in these situations involving southern stream systems because the model has a propensity to overdo the magnitude of the UA features and makes it look a whole lot worse than what evolves. Grant it, I do like the NAM over the GFS in analyzing mesoscale properties because that's what it is intended for, but I think just amps up too quickly and gets everyone who doesn't look at the models too indepth, hopes up. 

Skies clearing up here at Millersville. Looking at satellite, looks like this area will have 3-4 hours of mostly clear skies to radiationally cool. The key will be the dew points dropping. Anything into the mid 20's is most preferable in order to increase the speed of wet bulbing once the precipitation arrives. As Eskimo Joe pointed out earlier, that will be a big factor on snow amounts for everyone. The lower the dews, the faster we can change over and accumulate. Observation time

Nice map heavy_wx. I'm not a fan of the NAM in these situations involving southern stream systems because the model has a propensity to overdo the magnitude of the UA features and makes it look a whole lot worse than what evolves. Grant it, I do like the NAM over the GFS in analyzing mesoscale properties because that's what it is intended for, but I think just amps up too quickly and gets everyone who doesn't look at the models too indepth, hopes up. 

It has been very inconsistent with this system (and I find many other cyclogenesis events as well...). The Euro and GFS are actually in fair agreement for a moderate snow event in central PA, with the 18z NAM a significant outlier.

It has been very inconsistent with this system (and I find many other cyclogenesis events as well...). The Euro and GFS are actually in fair agreement for a moderate snow event in central PA, with the 18z NAM a significant outlier.

I see that now. Not too bad I'd say. I'm partial to the Euro because it has done a pretty good job IMO of staying the course for a coastal system for a good 5 days now, so I'll believe it before any other model. It's down to a nowcast situation as our storm starts to ramp up to our south (radar actually looks very nice). Are you still up in Albany area for the storm? If so, what's the outlook for there? I haven't looked to much at anything up north for the storm except the western half of SNE which looks like the jackpot zone for the whole east coast. 

I see that now. Not too bad I'd say. I'm partial to the Euro because it has done a pretty good job IMO of staying the course for a coastal system for a good 5 days now, so I'll believe it before any other model. It's down to a nowcast situation as our storm starts to ramp up to our south (radar actually looks very nice). Are you still up in Albany area for the storm? If so, what's the outlook for there? I haven't looked to much at anything up north for the storm except the western half of SNE which looks like the jackpot zone for the whole east coast. 

Yeah, the Euro has been the most consistent for sure with this, at least for the northeast (I haven't focused much on the mid-atlantic region).

I'm in Albany for this event and it looks like we'll do pretty well here with maybe 5-8".

Archived