Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any QPF specifics?

basically the sharp cutoff from .6 to nothing runs sw to ne along the back edge of the laurel highlands.  1 inch qpf east og a line from just east of frostburg md to selinsgrove to the northeast tip of pa.  The max precip area is 1.2+ that covers most of york, lancaster, berks, schuykill, carbon, monroe, and eastern luzerne counties.  Ammounts to back down to about 1" east of there also.  The max band is definitely right up east central PA. 

basically the sharp cutoff from .6 to nothing runs sw to ne along the back edge of the laurel highlands.  1 inch qpf east og a line from just east of frostburg md to selinsgrove to the northeast tip of pa.  The max precip area is 1.2+ that covers most of york, lancaster, berks, schuykill, carbon, monroe, and eastern luzerne counties.  Ammounts to back down to about 1" east of there also.  The max band is definitely right up east central PA. 

Wow...what causes the max precip.....is it meso banding?

6Z NAM is lights out. 

NAM may be right now, but I honestly think we would be better off just never looking at it.  Its more likely to reduce confidence by throwing out some crazy/wrong solution then it getting it right.  Earlier it was way OTS, then way inland, then back east, at one point it did some weird banding thing and split the precip sheild in the mid atlantic...its a hot mess on wheels.  Ok end of rant, enjoy the storm. 

NAM may be right now, but I honestly think we would be better off just never looking at it.  Its more likely to reduce confidence by throwing out some crazy/wrong solution then it getting it right.  Earlier it was way OTS, then way inland, then back east, at one point it did some weird banding thing and split the precip sheild in the mid atlantic...its a hot mess on wheels.  Ok end of rant, enjoy the storm. 

Looks like 0Z euro now. 

welp I am up an ready for this to get going.  41 here at the house with winds picking up a bit.  Curious to see how York/Lancaster folks are doing.  How long until precip beginning to reach the surface then how long is it going to take to fall as snow.

Nothing here yet and quite frankly I'm expecting a lot more wet than white will fall down this way now.

Sitting here at 30F ready to rock and roll. Had a final look at things before I go get some sleep. Latest RAP and HRRR continue to hammer the eastern half of PA later this morning and this afternoon. This looks to be a fairly brisk 12 hours or less hard hitting heavy snow that will make roads difficult to navigate for awhile this afternoon into the evening hours. 

Things to watch this morning... how much (if any) mixiing or initial rain occurs in the far southern tier of the Sus Valley. A more extended period of mixed weather could knock snowfall amounts down towards the 4 inch end of the 4-8" range that is being forecast. I imagine that folks down that way with some elevation (like I-83 Blizzard) won't have much trouble getting over to snow quickly.

As jm1220 mentioned earlier in the evening, there still could be some surprises in the central counties. There is solid support for at least 0.5"-0.7" QPF in the JST/AOO/UNV corridor via the SREFs and Euro, and I think this region will see the best ratios of anybody (colder aloft) if some heavier bands set up shop. I generally expect 4-5" inches for these places, but I think anywhere within this corridor has a good potential of reaching warning criteria if some of those wetter models end up verifying. 

I expect 4-7 inches for about all of the Lower Sus Valley (places like Harrisburg, Williamsport, York, Lancaster, Gettysburg with some higher ground or areas that get a persistent heavy band potentially getting into the 7-10 inch range. Up towards the Hazelton and WB-Scranton region I'm thinking 6-10" with up to a foot or so possible in the higher ground of NE PA. 

West and NW of JST/AOO/UNV corridor there will be a sharp cutoff in the more significant snow somewhere near a St. Marys-Dubois-Indiana-Latrobe line, where advisory amounts of 2-5" drop off to T-2 event for the rest of the western part of PA under I-80. Will have to watch the westward extent of the heavier snow, as a better push might try to get low end advisory amounts into the Pittsburgh metro. 

Archived