• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

Ah yes the first fantasy snowstorm has arrived. Buckle up guys and gals, I have growing confidence we're in for one hell of a ride this winter. I foresee plenty of sleepless late nights model watching!

This place reminds me of the stock market - when everyone is overly "bullish" its time to be really cautious. Just because everything looks great on paper or long range charts doesn't mean it will verify....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Imperator

This place reminds me of the stock market - when everyone is overly "bullish" its time to be really cautious. Just because everything looks great on paper or long range charts doesn't mean it will verify....

With the stock market at least you can possibly make money from all the effort.

Ahhhhh pd2 was amazing down just north of Baltimore. 30" and still the biggest storm I have seen anywhere (including jan 2006 in Boston) no class for 7 days. Maryland was mangled. Good times!

Boxing Day was tops for wind and snow. Jan 2011 we had a ridiculous sleet thunderstorm in long beach so bad you couldn't possibly be outside. Gusts near 60 with huge sleet pellets and cloud to ground lightning about as crazy as it gets!

Best and most memorable storms I've ever been through. I would include 96 but I didn't live around here for that one though I assume 96, 03, and Boxing are the top 3 most memorable snowstorms for many since 1990 at least.

Best and most memorable storms I've ever been through. I would include 96 but I didn't live around here for that one though I assume 96, 03, and Boxing are the top 3 most memorable snowstorms for many since 1990 at least.

96 and Feb 03 in that order ... but the all time favorite was the early December 03 storm - two part storm - honorable mention xmas eve 1966 storm - Feb 11 ,83 - feb 78 - feb 79 -mar 56 - dec 10' feb 06' dec 09' mar 61

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2004/05-Dec-03.html

Boxing Day is and will continue to be my all time favorite snowstorm! Epic conditions and the way it all went down was unreal

I sincerely wish i had better memories of the great snow storms that have impacted us from 2003 and on. Only real notable and severe snow storm to me was 03' PDII and Xmas 02' when i got a quick 10" and thundersnow. 13' blizzard that pummeled the east end of LI i got "only" 17" from that. Boxing Day i got 17" when Mt. Earthlight got 30"+. PDII i got 25" and that has been my highest since. Keep in mind this is IMBY so you obviously see how my experiences skewed it for me

If you were under the heart of that deform band for Boxing Day like Earthlight was, then I can understand why you think it might be #1 in your book. 96' in my opinion puts Boxing Day to shame, if for no other reason than that 24"+ total were widespread from VA to MA.

19960106-19960108-11.78.jpg

Boxind Day had a very intense, but very narrow area of prolific snows. If the storm track was 50 miles east nobody would even rank it top ten in these parts.

Yeah, its all relative to your location and experience.

For me Boxing Day is #1 because we received close to 30 inches and the drifts were unlike anything Ive ever seen. To be snowed in for over 3 days in Staten Island because NYC plows literally couldn't get to you has never even been close to happening at least in my memory. And its not like my parents are on a small or remote street either. Plows would try numerous times, they just couldn't do it. People had to collectively start shoveling paths to a main road but that proved pretty futile as well.

Was also living in Hoboken at the time and had been at my parent's for xmas on Staten Island and just hadn't left yet. Being snowed in and unable to get home or to work in NJ for over 3 days. Thats something I doubt Ill ever experience again.

If you were under the heart of that deform band for Boxing Day like Earthlight was, then I can understand why you think it might be #1 in your book. 96' in my opinion puts Boxing Day to shame, if for no other reason than that 24"+ total were widespread from VA to MA.

19960106-19960108-11.78.jpg

Boxind Day had a very intense, but very narrow area of prolific snows. If the storm track was 50 miles east nobody would even rank it top ten in these parts.

That is why it is #2 wasnt a localized blizzard but an bonafide east coast blizzard that really spread the 24"+ amounts up and down the mid atlantic and Northeast

That is why it is #2 wasnt a localized blizzard but an bonafide east coast blizzard that really spread the 24"+ amounts up and down the mid atlantic and Northeast

Still probably wasn't as intense as being under the death band during 12/26/10 getting 3" per hour and raging winds for about a 6 hour period. Most of the amounts from 96 were so high because it snowed for 30 hours

Still probably wasn't as intense as being under the death band during 12/26/10 getting 3" per hour and raging winds for about a 6 hour period. Most of the amounts from 96 were so high because it snowed for 30 hours

Yes it was because it was more expansive in size and area impacted. The banding was more intense in boxing day BUT snowfall totals were no where near as prolific over a wider area. the duration also played into it as well, 96' crawled and boxing day was really not a slow mover which consequently affected the total snowfall accumulations. The NESIS scale to rate it mid-pack was accurate, big storm but small impact area in comparison to storms higher in rank

Yes it was because it was more expansive in size and area impacted. The banding was more intense in boxing day BUT snowfall totals were no where near as prolific over a wider area. the duration also played into it as well, 96' crawled and boxing day was really not a slow mover which consequently affected the total snowfall accumulations. The NESIS scale to rate it mid-pack was accurate, big storm but small impact area in comparison to storms higher in rank

Of course. Its just more about personal experience. If my area got 24-30" out of both storms but I got more wind, thunder and blizzard conditions from the 2010 storm I'm going to remember that one more, just because it was such an intense thing to experience. Like being in a lake effect band and watching the snow pile up before your eyes. 

January 26-27, 2011 had 3"-6" an hour rates for 3+ hours in NYC and LI with strong winds and full blown thunderstorms. Let's not forget the mega 5" an hour deform band of February 2006 also. That CRUSHED Eastern NJ and the NYC boroughs.

Most of the classic storms have bands like this.

1996 had it also.

Is there any way that I could look at the boxing day storm model archives somewhere?

If you go back in this forum to the Boxing Day threads - you can get a very good play by play from when the models started to show the storm...........

Archived