• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

$500/year on largely redundant model graphics seems a little crazy. I bought a few months of weatherbell last winter and may do so again this year, but, truth be told, it's probably not worth the money. There are a million graphic sites for NCEP models, CMC and UKMET both have more-than-adequate free products online, and any ECMWF frame that's halfway worth looking at is posted and cross-posted to death.

wunderground has euro precip maps that update as soon as the model comes out. there's no good reason for any amateur to pay for models

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both StormVista & Weatherbell Premium for a total of $40/month and both are well worth it. great models that you have access to and sites are reliable

Based on what I've seen, StormVista is worth it for the models, but the only *value* of WxBell is JB because the model output they offer seems... flawed... often.

i don't mean it as a slam on radio forecasters. we have so much information available on the internet and radio news listenership is declining

2-Digital-News-Surpasses-Newspapers-Radi

http://stateofthemedia.org/2013/audio-digital-drives-listener-experience/audio-by-the-numbers/

I'm not surprised that TV news has maintained its advantage. I don't watch TV based news to "break" anything, just for added commentary and local twist. I also watch the evening national news, for the commentary and added depth.

Based on what I've seen, StormVista is worth it for the models, but the only *value* of WxBell is JB because the model output they offer seems... flawed... often.

WxBell is a better source for the Euro Ensembles, but I find that StormVista updates a lot faster.

During the heart of the snow season I will sometimes carry both.

all those model images last winter that showed -10F lows across the metro. you'd think people would stop using them after being wrong so much

Last winter their snow maps were garbage on some of the models, possible the euro.

I recall someone at WXbell came out with a written statment defending it too. No programming error or something

Last winter their snow maps were garbage on some of the models, possible the euro.

I recall someone at WXbell came out with a written statment defending it too. No programming error or something

But it was interesting that the crazy "snow pack" maps that they had last season for the Euro that seemed obviously overdone turned out to come true, eventually. The problem was that it consistently showed storms in the long range, with snow maps that made these storms all appear to be bombs that dumped 15-30" of snow

Somehow every discussion ends up with whether or not yanksfan lives in the nyc metro area and the avg snowfall there. Whether its eastern or american wx .nothing ever changes and also about the nam and snowfall maps. The nyc metro forum should become the groundhog day forum lol.

I purposely didn't use my location. Read more before you criticize.

Certain people around here (i use the term around here loosely, some have traveled the internet highway to the sne forum ;) ) complaining about "weenies" are akin to addicts who havent drank in 8 days going to an AA meeting and mocking the alcoholics.

I migrated to that subforum! You seent me in there and are referring to me? :lol:

Archived