• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

I want another boxing day redux and blizzard of 96.

The winds during Boxing Day were unlike any other blizzard that I've ever experienced.

The way the models completely lost it and the brought it back was incredible

The accumulations out this way were less than memorable. I understand that a lot of people closer to the city did very well, but 96' eclipses Boxing Day to me because the higher totals were more widespread.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The winds during Boxing Day were unlike any other blizzard that I've ever experienced.

The way the models completely lost it and the brought it back was incredible

The accumulations out this way were less than memorable. I understand that a lot of people closer to the city did very well, but 96' eclipses Boxing Day to me because the higher totals were more widespread.

Hence why it is #2 on NESIS second only to the great Superstorm of 93'

A thing that impressed me about Boxing Day is that if you loop the radar from the start the precip expanded northwestward off the ocean. I find that fascinating and also the reason why places like DC got nothing.

It was a wrapped up bomb that took a perfect track. 50 miles east and that deform band hits Long Island instead.

I remember in the January 26-27 2011 storm it was raining before it changed over to heavy wet snow and a bolt of lightning hit the steeple of my church and caused structural damage. It was by far the brightest/loudest strike I've ever heard

I had 30 minutes straight of non-stop Lightning and thunder the night of Jan. 26, 2011.

Full blown thunderstorm with 3"+ of snow per hour rates.

Incredible.

I remember in the January 26-27 2011 storm it was raining before it changed over to heavy wet snow and a bolt of lightning hit the steeple of my church and caused structural damage. It was by far the brightest/loudest strike I've ever heard

Top 3 storm for me.  The upfront piece over-performed and then the line that came through was insane.  Lightning, wind and like 14" IMBY in such a short time.  Awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong , but I believe the snow also fell in a pretty short amount of time

There was a surprise 3"-6" in the morning. Then a lull for a few hours and then it began at around 8pm as a heavy sleet thunderstorm and quickly changed to super heavy snow and lasted through 4am.

Where were you and it was raining?

There was a surprise 3"-6" in the morning. Then a lull for a few hours and then it began at around 8pm as a heavy sleet thunderstorm and quickly changed to super heavy snow and lasted through 4am.

What a sick event. Several inches out of nowhere in the morning and then a mega thunder snow band at night. In general a massive overperfomer.

i was in rockville centre ny and i remember it was raining around 6-7 pm and then it gradually shifted to a mix and then finally snow around 9 or 10. i remember looking and the radar as the precip type began to changeover from west to east

Oh I didn't even know that area got rain, I thought they were sleet for longer, that's all.

First day 9-10 day SECS threat on 18z GFS, winter has arrived.

It will be gone tommorow. Btw good to see you back in here again my friend. think this month will be primarily inland and us get mangled flakes at the end of a storm. I know most have been spoiled the past couple years with early season snowstorms but that was more the exception than the rule compared to climatology

Ahhhhh pd2 was amazing down just north of Baltimore. 30" and still the biggest storm I have seen anywhere (including jan 2006 in Boston) no class for 7 days. Maryland was mangled. Good times!

Boxing Day was tops for wind and snow. Jan 2011 we had a ridiculous sleet thunderstorm in long beach so bad you couldn't possibly be outside. Gusts near 60 with huge sleet pellets and cloud to ground lightning about as crazy as it gets!

Ahhhhh pd2 was amazing down just north of Baltimore. 30" and still the biggest storm I have seen anywhere (including jan 2006 in Boston) no class for 7 days. Maryland was mangled. Good times!

Boxing Day was tops for wind and snow. Jan 2011 we had a ridiculous sleet thunderstorm in long beach so bad you couldn't possibly be outside. Gusts near 60 with huge sleet pellets and cloud to ground lightning about as crazy as it gets!

where I am ( convective graveyard of SW Suffolk county ) I literally miss out on the good stuff by a matter of miles, only two events in my memory produced thundersnow and that's it

Archived