joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's right, unless it lasted a lot longer up here than down by you.

I was down in Florida during that storm and our flight back into KSWF was delayed for two days. When we got back to the airport, our car was burried under feet of snow and when we got home it was very much a winter wonder land.

I was stuck up in sullivan county it lasted a full two days there. I can assure you it was not a 24 in and out event. 96' and 03' were pure long duration events

I don't think that's right, unless it lasted a lot longer up here than down by you.

I was down in Florida during that storm and our flight back into KSWF was delayed for two days. When we got back to the airport, our car was burried under feet of snow and when we got home it was very much a winter wonder land.

My second favorite storm of all time behind Boxing Day for Staten Island. Snow showers started Sunday around 1PM. Accumulations started a bit later in the afternoon. 90% of the snow fell overnight. Monday was off and on snow showers and freezing drizzle, probably padded totals by a few additional inches if anything. 26 inches on Staten Island if I remember correctly but most of it fell in a 12 hour period 6PM-6AM.  Overall it snowed from about 1PM Sunday to about 6PM Monday.

And yes, it warmed up right after and the ridiculous snow piles took a severe hit. Also if I remember correctly there was a pretty large rain event about a week later which led to urban flooding since it combined with all the melting.

I was down in Florida during that storm and our flight back into KSWF was delayed for two days. When we got back to the airport, our car was burried under feet of snow and when we got home it was very much a winter wonder land.

It is right. I lived in Bergen County and it started snowing around 8pm Sunday lasting to around that time Monday. It started much much earlier in Central NJ but took forever to move north. Late Monday night there was freezing drizzle and had the upper level low move through with snow showers on Tuesday. By Thursday afternoon it was nearly 50

My second favorite storm of all time behind Boxing Day for Staten Island. Snow showers started Sunday around 1PM. Accumulations started a bit later in the afternoon. 90% of the snow fell overnight. Monday was off and on snow showers and freezing drizzle, probably padded totals by a few additional inches if anything. 26 inches on Staten Island if I remember correctly but most of it fell in a 12 hour period 6PM-6AM.  Overall it snowed from about 1PM Sunday to about 6PM Monday.

And yes, it warmed up right after and the ridiculous snow piles took a severe hit. Also if I remember correctly there was a pretty large rain event about a week later which led to urban flooding since it combined with all the melting.

Trust me, I'm still sore about being in Florida during PDII, and anyone that's not a weather weenie looks at me like I'm crazy when I say I would have rather been home.

One of the companies that I did business with at the time (Sunoco, Oil division) invited my family and I down for the Daytona 500. I'm not a NASCAR fan but it was a really fun experience, and we made a whole vacation out of it.

It is right. I lived in Bergen County and it started snowing around 8pm Sunday lasting to around that time Monday. It started much much earlier in Central NJ but took forever to move north. Late Monday night there was freezing drizzle and had the upper level low move through with snow showers on Tuesday. By Thursday afternoon it was nearly 50

Whatever you say dude, not going to argue with you about a storm from eleveen years ago, especially since I wasn't even in the area for that one, but from all the other accounts I have read of the storm, it lasted at least 36 hours. And when I came home a few days later, it certainly was not all melted, not even close.

I've been asking the snow gods for years now for a chance at solid snow for 36 hours plus.

Massive over running hitting the block and redevloping into a coastal that crawls up the coast or eventually stalls out and snows itself out.

Here's my dream scenario… a triple phased 965mb bomb 150 miles off the mid atlantic crawling up the coast  with a 1040 mb high to the north. A general 3 to 4 feet of snow fall from DC to Boston due to long duration 36 hour event.

Here's my dream scenario… a triple phased 965mb bomb 150 miles off the mid atlantic crawling up the coast with a 1040 mb high to the north. A general 3 to 4 feet of snow fall from DC to Boston due to long duration 36 hour event.

Every weenie here would agree with you. If we have a nice +PNA, west based -NAO a nice arctic high it would certainly aid our chances of getting a strong, slow moving bomb at the benchmark. Triple phaser i dont know as rare as they occur are inland runners/ cutters

If you own a home, this is a terrible wish.

So? People know that hurricanes bring death and destruction, so does severe weather, but as weather enthusiasts we don't necessarily root them on, but enjoy them.

The same thing goes for ice storms. I'll take the ice and then worry about the cleanup afterwards.

Here's my dream scenario… a triple phased 965mb bomb 150 miles off the mid atlantic crawling up the coast  with a 1040 mb high to the north. A general 3 to 4 feet of snow fall from DC to Boston due to long duration 36 hour event.

150 miles is too far offshore if we're going to give a dream scenario. Give me a nice tucked in low that tracks from ACY to the east end of Long Island.

So? People know that hurricanes bring death and destruction, so does severe weather, but as weather enthusiasts we don't necessarily root them on, but enjoy them.

The same thing goes for ice storms. I'll take the ice and then worry about the cleanup afterwards.

I was in awe of Sandy but I didn't enjoy it for one minute. $50K worth of damage to my home and a totaled car will do that.

Guest Imperator

So? People know that hurricanes bring death and destruction, so does severe weather, but as weather enthusiasts we don't necessarily root them on, but enjoy them.

I guess you don't own a home or at least understand the concept that normal people don't ever want to worry about a cleanup. 

I was in awe of Sandy but I didn't enjoy it for one minute. $50K worth of damage to my home and a totaled car will do that.

Well I had damage too and spent 3 days in Seaside afterwards rescuing and helping people. We were stationed 2 blocks from the collapsed roller coaster. I still thoroughly enjoyed Sandy from a weather enthusiasts standpoint.

Guest Imperator

If that's your stance then you probably don't belong here.

No, one can still enjoy the weather as a hobby without rooting for extremes that could damage their livelihood, property or possessions. Any normal individual would agree with me.

No, one can still enjoy the weather as a hobby without rooting for extremes that could damage their livelihood, property or possessions. Any normal individual would agree with me.

You shouldn't get offended when someone roots for extremes, as if they by rooting for that scenario, could somehow influince the outcome.

I love severe weather no matter the type. The more extreme the better, and while I don't wish anyone death or destruction of personal property, nobody here can do anything about it if it happens.

Every year we go through this. Nobody is rooting for death and destruction. Not to mention that rooting for extreme weather doesn't make it occur either no matter how much we might wish it did.

Guest Imperator

You shouldn't get offended when someone roots for extremes, as if they by rooting for that scenario, could somehow influince the outcome.

I love severe weather no matter the type. The more extreme the better, and while I don't wish anyone death or destruction of personal property, nobody here can do anything about it if it happens.

Im not offended at all. I have more important priorities in life (professional and personal) to take things personally on a weather forum. Im just giving my opinion, like you are giving yours.  There should be room for all views here. If we differ, so be it. 

If that's your stance then you probably don't belong here.

I'm here because I have an innate love and appreciation of the weather. You can be in awe of something but not wish to experience it firsthand because of the issues and pain it can cause. My stance is that if you root for a hurricane to hit you, you're a moron.

It's a banter thread so I'm putting out an opinion. Unlike you, my professional life doesn't allow me to banter with you further.

Even if it did, I would respectfully decline due to the enormous waste of time.

Guest Imperator

I'm here because I have an innate love and appreciation of the weather. You can be in awe of something but not wish to experience it firsthand because of the issues and pain it can cause. My stance is that if you root for a hurricane to hit you, you're a moron.

+1

> "Awesome wind storm tonight, I'll be glad to clock a 60 kt gust!" Except that it knocked a tree over and I now have branches in my living room, thanks bud

> "I can't wait for this winter, hopefully we get feet and feet of snow!" Except that the feet and feet of snow caused my roof to collapse, thanks again

> "I won't be happy unless we see -20F tonight!" Thanks, the pipes in my house just burst and now my house is flooded

> "...ice storm? Are you out of your mind? That might hurt people you insensitive dirtbag." A dirtbag, really? :lol:

We can do this all day

Im not offended at all. I have more important priorities in life (professional and personal) to take things personally on a weather forum. Im just giving my opinion, like you are giving yours.  There should be room for all views here. If we differ, so be it. 

I have no issue with you giving your opinion, but don't try to make me out as someone that is rooting for a tree to fall on your house.

Archived