joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low to mid 70's during the day with some showers a day or two, Cool nights low mid 50's, Water temps are right around 60F, Bring everything you have, Warm clothes, Cool clothes, Rain gear etc, etc, Make sure you make a trip up Mt Cadillac and visit Thunder hole, It the tide is ripping all the better at Thunder Hole

Should be fun lol. And thanks, thunder hole looks awesome, I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it. Hopefully we will be taking a couple trips up Cadillac

Are 80lbs of lobster really enough for 10 famalies? At an average of 4 per family that's only about 2lbs per person.

That would be avg a person would consume, Usually they base it off of Chix lobster (1lb) Which is 2 per most outings i have attended

Should be fun lol. And thanks, thunder hole looks awesome, I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it. Hopefully we will be taking a couple trips up Cadillac

Yes, Go on the incoming tide to thunder hole, And if you can, Try to hit Cadillac Mtn just before sunrise it is the first place in the united states to see the first rays of sun daily

Thunder Hole can get quite crowded this time of year, though less than the Sand Beach jam, where parking lot overflow can lead to long walks to the water.  The crashes at TH are usually best at mid-tide.  Would be nice for you if Bertha perked up and ran parallel to the coast and about 200 miles offshore - big swells = huge booms.  We were there at the tail end of a March coastal many years ago, and one ka-WHUMP! sent water well over 100' into the air and sprinkled me thoroughly from about 50 yards away.  If a day turns foggy, that would be the time to look at the small villages (Seal Harbor, Bass Harbor) at the south end of MDI - no stores, or not many, but lots of Downeast atmosphere.

Yes, Go on the incoming tide to thunder hole, And if you can, Try to hit Cadillac Mtn just before sunrise it is the first place in the united states to see the first rays of sun daily

At some days of the year, anyway. 

A 1972 article in Yankee Magazine used elevations (thus horizon distance) and direction of sunrise thru the seasons to determine - or at least give an educated estimate - of where the sun first peeks out in the lower 48.  Alaskans, of course, point to a small island at the extreme end of the Aleutians which lies a few miles across the International Date Line, and claim both first and last.

The dates, as shown in that Yankee article (not sure where Leap Year would be added):

Cadillac:  151 days, Oct. 7 thru March 6 

West Quoddy Head: 36 days, March 7-24 and Sept. 19 thru Oct. 6.

Mars Hill:  178 days, March 25 thru Sept. 18

(For folks not familiar with obscure Maine geography, that's an Aroostook hill of about 1,750' elev a mile from the NB border.)

That Yankee article also suggested that, on the winter solstice, the first rays might actually touch on Nantucket, or be but a minute behind Cadillac.

Same here. Big sea bugs.

So is it the thought of eating a "sea bug"/lobster that kills it for you guys, or is it the taste?  

No dig here ... just wonderin'.   For me, lobster tastes good, and while I can understand those with a weak stomach based upon the thought of this or that, that doesn't really mean they tasted bad.   You know? 

So is it the thought of eating a "sea bug"/lobster that kills it for you guys, or is it the taste?  

No dig here ... just wonderin'.   For me, lobster tastes good, and while I can understand those with a weak stomach based upon the thought of this or that, that doesn't really mean they tasted bad.   You know?

Taste doesn't appeal to me.

Just back from Florida. As much as I hate missing a good snowstorm I could def. get into the shorts, t-shirt and beach life when I retire. Gonna have to give this some thought over the next 20 years. Go north or go south? Btw how's Aug. looking? Also, give me steak or chicken anyday over lobstah-no taste to me.

Archived