• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

August 1st is the summer equivalent of February 1st. 1/3 of summer still left.

The sun angle is the same as on May 11th.  I'm curious as to how many 90* days occur on average at the climo sites between August 1 and the rest of the year (and how that number reduces with each progressive day).

Tick tock.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how much rain makes it past PYM-GON tomorrow. Tough to get heavy rain far north from the warm front during summertime. Unless of course the front pushes pretty far north. 

I picked the wrong weekend to be back in my old NL stomping grounds.

Any early thoughts for next weekend?  I've got family coming out.....don't want them hanging in the house.  :)

12z GFS was like 80 miles offshore. Both shifted...you can't just look at how the wettest model shifted. 

I just go by how much rain is forecasted care less about where a front is, NAM is a soaker, GFS is lt rain showers, Euro is a steadier rain, makes a huge difference for our tournament in Taunton tomorrow.

The near shore ocean this year is colder for August 1st then I can remember. Just has not warmed up. for example last year Montauk Buoy maxed out at 25.3 C this year 22.0 C in July

My daughter took the ferry to Hull to visit a friend summering there. She was impressed by how cold the water is. In recent past years it's been much warmer. Throwback year we're having.

The sun angle is the same as on May 11th.  I'm curious as to how many 90* days occur on average at the climo sites between August 1 and the rest of the year (and how that number reduces with each progressive day).

Tick tock.

Normals from Aug 1 on...

BDL 4.8

BDR 2.0

BOS 3.3

PVD 2.9

ORH 0.6

As for how the number reduces, August 18th is really the day for BDL where the odds of a 90-degree day begins to quickly drop. The probability of a 90-degree day is about 1-in-5 from July 5th through August 17th, and then by August 23rd, it drops to 1-in-15.

Archived