joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 AMEX Conference in Baltimore

ORH_wxman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The list of speakers is really, really good.  I would love to attend if it were a reasonable driving distance...but that's just it...it's going to be very hard for folks to commit to something like this if the travel distance is large, along with the notion as mentioned above that people generally have pretty full schedules.

I don't necessarily agree with that, in the context of the actual usage and not just availability.

Most of the people who went to the conferences were people on this forum...who frequently read and posted. So that group of people was certainly used to getting any weather info they needed at their disposal in just a few clicks from thread to thread. Yet, we all still showed up.

The board was more intimate back then though, which may have been part of it. There seems to have been a change around 2009 or 2010 or so...its hard to put an exact date because it didn't happen overnight. The forum outgrew the more intimate setting it had back in the 2005-2008 days. A lot of the regulars still came to the conferences in 2010-2012, but we had fewer new people attending. As former attendees fall out, we don't have replacements. I'm wondering if the less intimate forum setting has had some influence.

If travel is an issue, several people are carpooling. Wiz and I may still have room for another person or two, so feel free to reach out to us if interested. Not to mention splitting the cost of a hotel room helps alleviate the cost.

There's no doubt times have changed on the board, but that doesn't mean we cannot all get together and have a great time.

Dr. Neil Frank called me Friday and we chatted for a good 30 to 45 minutes. He is really looking forward to presenting at our Conference. He is going to be available for the entire event which is a real treat for our community considering his schedule. 'Doc' Neil will be 83 this September and is still one of the most sought after and well respected Tropical speakers there is and his presentations are very dynamic. Thankfully Wes agreed to shuttle us around for lunch on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully we can get some last minute interest and folks will show up. It will be good to rekindle old friendships and meet some new faces.

We only had 1 year where near 100 people attended. That was 2008 when it was in Crystal City. Usually it was in the 50-60 range.

This year it is half that. It is too bad.

wow-25?  That's ugly.  That ensures this is the last one for quite some time if ever.   Agree with what Jerry said.  Would love to go, but summer is crazy and I have young children, hard to find the time.

wow-25?  That's ugly.  That ensures this is the last one for quite some time if ever.   Agree with what Jerry said.  Would love to go, but summer is crazy and I have young children, hard to find the time.

Its in the low 30s actually I believe at the moment...so a little more than half (of 60)...but regardless, still a really poor showing.

And yes, my guess is it is the last one ever. They were a fun part of the forum but the interest has waned. My theory is that the board is not really as close-knit as it once was, so that contributes. We don't get new attendees at the same rate as losing old ones.

Its in the low 30s actually I believe at the moment...so a little more than half (of 60)...but regardless, still a really poor showing.

And yes, my guess is it is the last one ever. They were a fun part of the forum but the interest has waned. My theory is that the board is not really as close-knit as it once was, so that contributes. We don't get new attendees at the same rate as losing old ones.

I've never been to one but in the past I've attended different one-day type conferences if they are close.  Having to travel probably affects things.  If it moved around from region to region that probably would have helped.  I've enjoyed conferences around Boston before.

I'm also head of close knit family and I enjoy spending time with my family.  Outside of work that takes me away, I'm with my family on our farm most of the time.   They would travel with me.  Also, for me, I'm not a drinking man and it seems like a lot of get together's center around drinking so I'd be worried about after hours activities.  I know most people aren't like me but I just thought I'd share one mans perspective.

Most of the people who went to the conferences were people on this forum...who frequently read and posted. So that group of people was certainly used to getting any weather info they needed at their disposal in just a few clicks from thread to thread. Yet, we all still showed up.

The board was more intimate back then though, which may have been part of it. There seems to have been a change around 2009 or 2010 or so...its hard to put an exact date because it didn't happen overnight. The forum outgrew the more intimate setting it had back in the 2005-2008 days. A lot of the regulars still came to the conferences in 2010-2012, but we had fewer new people attending. As former attendees fall out, we don't have replacements. I'm wondering if the less intimate forum setting has had some influence.

IMO, the dynamic of the board changed when it was broken out into regions.  I understand why it happened but I think it limits interaction amongst the board as a whole.   

I've never been to one but in the past I've attended different one-day type conferences if they are close.  Having to travel probably affects things.  If it moved around from region to region that probably would have helped.  I've enjoyed conferences around Boston before.

I'm also head of close knit family and I enjoy spending time with my family.  Outside of work that takes me away, I'm with my family on our farm most of the time.   They would travel with me.  Also, for me, I'm not a drinking man and it seems like a lot of get together's center around drinking so I'd be worried about after hours activities.  I know most people aren't like me but I just thought I'd share one mans perspective.

We actually tried that and attendance didn't show any booms...well except maybe the Crystal City conference in 2008, though that isn't very far from BWI on a regional scale so I'm not sure location was the reason...it may have just been the board was a bit bigger, yet still pretty close-knit. Providence (2009) and Philly (2007) hosted conferences and the turnout was in the 55-65 range IIRC.

As for the after hours drinking...some people choose to burn the late candle, but the conference itself is not centered around that. The presentations and the dinner are the big ticket items there...and plenty of socializing goes on during those times before after-hours activities.

The perception of crazy drinking weekend is wrong.

Sorry if that's the perception that I left...I wasn't thinking that.  I didn't envision it as a party hardy type atmosphere.  I just meant the social aspect outside of talks.  Most of the social gatherings that I've seen center around drinking establishments which I know is the norm but it's just not by style.  I'm glad to hear that there is good conversation to be had elsewhere.

We actually tried that and attendance didn't show any booms...well except maybe the Crystal City conference in 2008, though that isn't very far from BWI on a regional scale so I'm not sure location was the reason...it may have just been the board was a bit bigger, yet still pretty close-knit. Providence (2009) and Philly (2007) hosted conferences and the turnout was in the 55-65 range IIRC.

As for the after hours drinking...some people choose to burn the late candle, but the conference itself is not centered around that. The presentations and the dinner are the big ticket items there...and plenty of socializing goes on during those times before after-hours activities.

I forgot about Providence.  My son was born that year so I was preoccupied.  ;)

Maybe in a few years some more interest will brew...you never know.  It is a good idea.

Sorry if that's the perception that I left...I wasn't thinking that.  I didn't envision it as a party hardy type atmosphere.  I just meant the social aspect outside of talks.  Most of the social gatherings that I've seen center around drinking establishments which I know is the norm but it's just not by style.  I'm glad to hear that there is good conversation to be had elsewhere.

There are plenty of people who have attended who did not drink or weren't drinkers but still hung out with the crowd.  Nobody thinks any less of anyone for choosing not to drink :)  

There are plenty of people who have attended who did not drink or weren't drinkers but still hung out with the crowd.  Nobody thinks any less of anyone for choosing not to drink :)

I never get that argument-that if you don't drink you somehow can't participate.  Have a soda or ice water and socialize.  No big deal at all.

We've had polls on this before and summer was overwhelmingly more convenient than winter for our forum members.

In the winter, you also have the issue of weather. It is much more likely to cause serious delays/cancellations in the winter than in the summer.

yeah thats true, i didnt even think of that really. With the conference in a small window of a few days, that could really muck things up.

Not to mention people's emotional attachment to winter weather. If there's a major east coast snowstorm (mainly 40N and north) on the weekend of a BWI conference, then will northern posters actually go south and be willing to miss out on 15-20" of snow and get 38 degree rain instead? A lot of them will cancel at the 11th hour.

also true, didnt really think of that either. Snow is serious business. If there was a big snowstorm barreling into the northeast, i think that could have an effect on late cancellations and overall attendance 

yeah thats true, i didnt even think of that really. With the conference in a small window of a few days, that could really muck things up.

also true, didnt really think of that either. Snow is serious business. If there was a big snowstorm barreling into the northeast, i think that could have an effect on late cancellations and overall attendance

If it was a major snowstorm, weenies from the mid Atlantic would already have hotel rooms in Worcester.

the regionalism has killed the community as a whole... this subforum in particular. i remember when the staff threw you guys a bone by holding a conference in providence and the mid atlantic still beat new england in terms of attendance

the regionalism has killed the community as a whole... this subforum in particular. i remember when the staff threw you guys a bone by holding a conference in providence and the mid atlantic still beat new england in terms of attendance

It's like your continued efforts to bring people together have all been in vain.

The main forum was getting pretty cluttered by 2008...it was getting difficult to keep track of everything.

The idea of subforums was to make more threads for more specific topics like we used to have in the earlier days of Eastern but I think everyone sort of got attached to the superthread mentality.

Subforums seem fairly important. I mean, it even gets kind of cluttered in the subforums sometimes with overlapping threads and banter going on in "meteorological discussion" threads.

Not to say people shouldn't still try to go to the conference, but maybe there should be a stronger effort made for local get-togethers. Either that, or maybe we can rally subforum members to attend local conferences and other events as a means of socializing.

Archived