joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2014

SACRUS

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's South Shore drought season, surprised? The grass here is getting browner by the day, and we haven't had any real soaking rain in over a month (Arthur was maybe a half inch here). Unless a synoptic system of some kind or training storms come at our area in some way it'll be the same story. When the synoptic systems come back in Sept/Oct, we'll be back in the excitement.

Seems like you have a mini-Mediterranean climate.

Yes severe thunderstorm warning criteria is almost never met in terms of large hail or damaging wind gusts however they can still be very dangerous thunderstorms due to flooding and constant lightning like last week.

Which can generally be handled by special weather statements, I would think.

The Ambrose Jet should crank up again this afternoon with southerly winds there probably in the 20-35 mph range

peaking around 4 to 6 PM. The rip current risk looks high.

https://ams.confex.com/ams/89annual/techprogram/paper_144401.htm

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ179&warncounty=NYC059&firewxzone=NYZ179&local_place1=Roosevelt%20NY&product1=Rip+Current+Statement&lat=40.67752&lon=-73.58562#.U7v08yhiF1M

Just packed it in for the day and headed to get some lunch. Not much of a breeze yet and pretty hot at the beach. I'm a bit tempted to head back to the sand after lunch, especially if the breeze kicks in.

Seems like you have a mini-Mediterranean climate.

Some summers we have more synoptic events like 2011 when we had tons of rain but others like this one we have very boring weather until the synoptic storms come back in the fall. The marine layer this year has been very efficient at killing off whatever comes in from NJ and the city. 

The media does not scroll on the bottom of the screen and our phones do not do loud buzzes for special weather statements. Those are a waste of time, imho, because no one actually pays attention to them.

People around here don't even pay attention to a tornado warning and I've come across people that don't understand the difference between a watch and a warning.

i think the line to our west makes it to the coast. the 18z nam shows more instability than 12z and shows ewr maintaining at least 1000j/kg ML cape through 3z (10 pm)

It's the same for NYC too and less cap. Though I hope it's not overdone with the 50kt 850mb jet streak over us:

post-187-0-82214100-1404856156_thumb.gif

post-187-0-60908600-1404856250_thumb.gif

Archived