EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
July 2014

SACRUS

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like your pretty typical strong line of storms...although right now they're packing some pretty strong winds in the 60-70mph range

inxr1kphls.gif

These storms have a history of winds up to 75 mph and there are many tornado warnings embedded in the line so that's where I got "wicked" from.

That bow echo means business

Some storm reports out of PA during that past hour:

THUNDERSTORM WIND GUST
Tue 6:54 pm EDT
PA - SPRING GROVE
60 mph
THUNDERSTORM WIND GUST
Tue 6:49 pm EDT
PA - SPORTING HILL
60 mph
HAMPDEN TWP.
THUNDERSTORM WIND GUST
Tue 6:47 pm EDT
PA - DILLSBURG
60 mph
THUNDERSTORM WIND DAMAGE
Tue 6:47 pm EDT
PA - DILLSBURG
TREES AND WIRES DOWN.
THUNDERSTORM WIND GUST
Tue 6:31 pm EDT
PA - GETTYSBURG
70 mph
THUNDERSTORM WIND DAMAGE
Tue 6:21 pm EDT
PA - 1 MILE SOUTH OF CARROLL VALLEY
TREES AND WIRES DOWN. ROUTE 16 CLOSED AT VALLEY TRAIL.
THUNDERSTORM WIND DAMAGE
Tue 6:15 pm EDT
PA - SHIPPENSBURG
TREES AND WIRES DOWN.
THUNDERSTORM WIND DAMAGE
Tue 6:02 pm EDT
PA - GREENCASTLE
NUMEROUS LARGE LIMBS DOWN.
THUNDERSTORM WIND DAMAGE
Tue 5:52 pm EDT
PA - MERCERSBURG
TREES DOWN ACROSS ROUTE 75.

Update from SPC:

"

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH   404...405...CONTINUES.   SUMMARY...SEVERE...DAMAGING WINDS WILL CONTINUE ACROSS SEVERE   THUNDERSTORM WATCHES 404 AND 405. BOWING SEGMENTS WILL TRACK INTO   THE I-95 CORRIDOR FROM BALTIMORE TO PHILADELPHIA TO NYC AND WRN NEW   ENGLAND OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS.   DISCUSSION...DAMAGING WINDS WILL CONTINUE AS BOWING SEGMENTS MOVE   INTO THE I-95 CORRIDOR/WRN NEW ENGLAND. LATEST STORM REPORTS   INDICATE WIND SPEEDS NEAR 60-70 MPH AS THE BOW ECHOES MOVED THROUGH   NRN VA INTO CENTRAL/ERN PA AND THE FINGER LAKES REGION OF NY. THE   DOWNSTREAM AIRMASS WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR MAINTENANCE OF ONGOING   BOWS FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT 2-3 HOURS. "

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1322.html

this line coming through eastern PA seems to be losing its intensity as it approaches NJ - one indication that this line might lose severity as it crosses NJ is the storm that popped up a couple hours ago in western NJ and dissipated as it tracked east- also there have been no real pop up storms like there was in the last 2 severe events last week

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DIX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

this line coming through eastern PA seems to be losing its intensity as it approaches NJ - one indication that this line might lose severity as it crosses NJ is the storm that popped up a couple hours ago in western NJ and dissipated as it tracked east- also there have been no real pop up storms like there was in the last 2 severe events last week

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DIX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

If you click on the severe warnings, you can see the donut over allentown, it has really weakened in that part of the line.

The line is definitely weakening fast as it heads east into Jersey. I had a feeling it was going to weaken but when they issued the watch till midnight and included Nassau I thought maybe they would hold together.

I would be beyond shocked if they held they're severity all the way through the coasts. unless we get storms that come from the SE or off the ocean, they're Is almost a brick wall once they hit NYC proper and they fall apart. last real good squall line we had if I recall was the 1998 labor day derecho. other than that discreet cells or line of storms dropping down from CT/upstate NY then weakening rapidly. last week was odd because we had decent parameters to the coast yet the storms still fell apart abruptly once they past east of NYC

Yup.

They're trying to reorganize by philly

I don't think the airmass is as favorable for severe as you cross into central and  maybe south jersey that storm that popped up in western nj a couple hours ago just dissipated as it crossed somerset county I think winds will increase substantially here in about half an hour that is the biggest threat right now 

I don't think the airmass is as favorable for severe as you cross into central and  maybe south jersey that storm that popped up in western nj a couple hours ago just dissipated as it crossed somerset county I think winds will increase substantially here in about half an hour that is the biggest threat right now 

Storms are actually moving into a better environment then their currently in. 1000-1500 SBCAPE across the area

Archived