• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Subtropical Moisture Heavy Rain Potential 5/16-5/17

bluewave

Next week we will be entering a favorable period right after the MJO moves  through 

phases 1-2 for subtropical moisture to be drawn north up the coast along a stalled out 

frontal boundary. The Euro ensemble mean has an inverted trough developing over the

Southeast with the potential for a weak subtropical low or wave to ride north.

This pattern in the past in conjunction with the favorable MJO has resulted in

heavy rains along the East Coast. We'll have to wait for later model runs to

identify this heavy rain potential as we get closer to the period. Models dig a 

trough into the Lakes and the upper flow turns out of the SSW under a block over

the Canadian Maritimes.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW the 12z ECMWF cuts off over the mid-atlantic next week.

Showers Tuesday

Showers/Light rain Wednesday

Startiform rain Thursday

Showers/light rain Friday

Showers Saturday morning

Moderate rain Saturday evening

Moderate rain Sunday

3-4" of rain from next Tuesday through Sunday.

FWIW the 12z ECMWF cuts off over the mid-atlantic next week.

Showers Tuesday

Showers/Light rain Wednesday

Startiform rain Thursday

Showers/light rain Friday

Showers Saturday morning

Moderate rain Saturday evening

Moderate rain Sunday

3-4" of rain from next Tuesday through Sunday.

Hopefully after this storm we can start drying out consistently and start ushering in warmer air for the entire area after mid month

Hopefully after this storm we can start drying out consistently and start ushering in warmer air for the entire area after mid month

I love this pattern. What a moisture surge on the Euro/GGEM next week. Keeps dews in the low to mid 60's. PW values would likely be >1.00" for an extended period of time. Abundant rain.

This month may end up looking similar to August 2011.

I had a bad feeling that the pattern this Spring would revert to this crap. +NAO patterns eventually reverse into -NAO patterns, backdoor season always hits one way or the other, and progressive patterns eventually revert to cut-off bowling ball buzzkillers that linger for days. The immediate coast's sub-70 streak may continue after all.

I love this pattern. What a moisture surge on the Euro/GGEM next week. Keeps dews in the low to mid 60's. PW values would likely be >1.00" for an extended period of time. Abundant rain.

Thats a bold statement in this neck of the woods, 14.30" IMBY that month.

Again, you're going to get nearly 4 months of 80+, 2-3 months of 85+, and probably several days at or above 90-95. What's the rush?

P.S. We're probably going to get a taste of this heat later this weekend and early next week. 

Question, I know it's a long shot but isn't anyone here at least remotely interested in the tropical development for next week. Even if it misses OTS or doesn't form at all it's been a consistent feature now for a few days.

Would think waters are a bit chilly for anything truly tropical?

Why would you say something like this

Would think waters are a bit chilly for anything truly tropical?

Definitely, but something sub-tropical isn't out of the question...but by the time any storm like that got here, I don't think it could maintain any tropical characteristics

Do you have any maps or discussion to back up this assertion? I mean August 2011 was one of the wettest months on record for many locations in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. Some select graphics from that month:

201108-201108.gif

spi01_201108_pg.gif

Do you have any maps or discussion to back up this assertion? I mean August 2011 was one of the wettest months on record for many locations in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast. Some select graphics from that month:

201108-201108.gif

spi01_201108_pg.gif

Most rain I ever saw (south shore of Nassau Co )in a day was a week or 2 before Irene. Result of training storms.

201108-201108.gif

spi01_201108_pg.gif

Of course he doesn't, lol. That'd be like saying another Sandy is coming this month. Another Irene isn't just magically going to show up. But don't worry guys, he changed his name, he's a different person.

Archived